Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:55 PM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
New Product
Sky Viper X-Quad

I would like to introduce the Sky Viper X-Quad Stunt Quadcopter from Skyrocket Toys.

We have completely redesigned the X-Quad providing improved flight performance, both inside and out. The new design also provides a more durable quadcopter that can withstand plenty of abuse and keep on flying. We have also added LED lights on the underside of the copter for night flight orientation.

The X-Quad is currently shipping to Target and will retail for $49.99. It will also be available at Toys R Us and Amazon in the fall.

Contents include the X-Quad Stunt Copter, Remote Control, Removable Blade Guards, 4 Replacement Blades, Rechargeable 3.7V 350mAh Lipo Battery, USB Charging Cable, Screw Driver and Screws.

I'm really looking forward to receiving feedback from anyone who happens to pick up the X-Quad.

If anyone has any questions you can post them in this thread, message me, or email support@skyrockettoys.com or me directly at timc@skyrockettoys.com.
SkyViper Support is offline Find More Posts by SkyViper Support
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:28 AM
"Just in case"...get it? ;-)
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2013
56 Posts
Can you please post some additional specs, like diagonal distance from center of prop hub to prop hub, motor size, etc.? Are the motors easy to replace (i.e. plugged in using connectors instead of soldered in)? Will spare parts be available? A picture of the underside and the LED's would be nice too. The original SkyViper was the first quad I ever purchased. I found it a bit hard to fly, which I attribute to me being a newbie, but after becoming proficient at flying it all other quads were a breeze. If I knew a bit more about your new X version I would most likely buy it. The SkyRocket website only has your original quad listed. Thanks!
JustenCase is offline Find More Posts by JustenCase
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:29 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,754 Posts
I would add ...Is this quadcopter using some ballbearings for the gear setup ?
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:44 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
1,919 Posts
I wonder what protocol it uses?
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:06 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,790 Posts
I'll post pictures and forensics in a bit:

X-Quad from Sky Viper (5 min 18 sec)
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:14 PM
"Just in case"...get it? ;-)
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2013
56 Posts
Nice job Massive. Does it use the same protocol as the original SkyViper?
JustenCase is offline Find More Posts by JustenCase
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I'll post pictures and forensics in a bit:

http://youtu.be/oOslxags8k8
Nice review! I like that quad.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustenCase View Post
Nice job Massive. Does it use the same protocol as the original SkyViper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
Nice review! I like that quad.
Thanks guys. It does use a different protocol. Sorry we missed you this weekend Bill.

Onto the pictorial:

Retail box:

What's in the box:

Flight control board (you can also see in these pictures how the perimeter guard secures to the main frame):

LiPo specs:

Weight without battery but with perimeter guard:

Without perimeter guard :

Sans perimeter guard...not bad looking:

Comparison in size to my favorites:

Compared to FrankenYaw:

LEDs:

TX module:

Now when I opened her up the antenna came off. It had a cold solder joint and was being held together only by the hot glue. I tried flying it with just the printed PCB antenna but wasn't able to get any range out of her and had to abandon my video review I did last week. I resoldered the antenna back on, trimmed to 31mm and trimmed the RX antenna as well as put a hole in the canopy.

After removing the remnants of hot glue:

Now the TX. It's still cheesy but at least the flight characteristics are greatly improved (yes I know this is more a function of the FCB than it is the TX). She does have a pre-programmed flip button but I was more interested in normal flight characteristics which are GREATLY improved over the original.

The drivetrain consists of 7mm motors with nylon gears. the chrome driveshaft sleeve is a nice compromise between crappy bronze or nylon bushings. It's not as good as ball bearings and you can't retrofit it with them as you'll see below, but the drivetrain meshes well and the gears are cut well, unlike WL Toys' play doh factory injection molding machines.

Since it's the dreadful heat of the summer we don't get the heavy windy days like we do in the fall and winter but if there's a breezy-enough day I'll take her back out for a perimeter guard performance video. The perimeter guard works decent enough but frankly isn't needed.

The Quad X doesn't use carbon fiber booms (or aluminum) but has a monocoque style chassis which I actually like the booms are flexible, which you would think would hurt performance but the quad doesn't seem to suffer from the flex (I only use the word 'gimpy' when referring to flexibility as a bad thing). The flexibility makes it very crashworthy and gentle to innocent household objects.

Will it carry an 808? Yes, indoors it can handle it fine. I'll try and do an outdoors test to see if it can handle a breeze with an 808. Removing the upper canopy and lower battery cover will save you 4.7 grams. Going with a LiPo that doesn't have the protective plastic sleeve will save another 5-6.

I'll give the Melbourne crew a shot at her the next time we all meet up together.

In a nutshell, I think it's a great improvement over the original. I think Tim's goup has listened and made changes, well not so much on the transmitter...........you all need to include stalks to swap out with the thumb pads like Traxxas did with the Alias. Also look into QC with the antenna problem on the TX. I'm sure mine was a fluke but proper 31mm length is important as I had to cut 45mm off, unless you all are going for a full wavelength.

You all have made the BJ's quad what it should have been and I'm liking the price too. Good job. The Quad X is something that I wouldn't be ashamed of stocking for our beginner pilots and wouldn't completely be snubbed by our more-experienced ones either.

Thanks for the sample and coming back knowing you could be walking into the lion's den.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:40 AM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,114 Posts
Really like the new design… looks great! Can't wait to check it out.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,790 Posts
No modifications, stock battery........she'll carry an 808 just fine:

Sky Viper Quad X with 808#16 D Lens (3 min 34 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,036 Posts
I really like this design a lot. Super light. I was very surprised.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp