Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:14 AM
Dr.Spock
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Discussion
Odd results from Turnigy 9XR battery

So I ordered the Turnigy 9xr transmitter, which I love, and I ordered the 9xr battery as well (3s 2200mah lipo).

The odd part is when I connect the battery to my little voltage alarm it'll read about 11.4 volts but when I plug it into my Turnigy accucel-6 via a xt60->JST adapter the charger indicates it at a voltage of ~12.4 volts. I cannot figure out why.

I tried this with my other two Zippy compact lipo packs and the little voltage alarm indicates the same value that the charger does for those.

Anyone have any ideas?? I know that the 9xr battery has an over/under voltage protection circuit but I don't see how that could be related to this issue.
Conscious0ne is offline Find More Posts by Conscious0ne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:16 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
When asking for information about equipment please provide links to the equipment in question, in this case the transmitter and the battery.

Typically LiPo batteries are shipped at about a 50% State Of Charge (SOC) and the voltage you read indicates this. You should charge the battery and then check the readings from the transmitter display again.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 02, 2014, 07:03 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2013
159 Posts
If the battery has a protection circuit in it (which it looks like it does) then that is probably expected. The circuit causes a little bit of voltage drop when in use.
CerealKiller159 is offline Find More Posts by CerealKiller159
Old Jul 03, 2014, 07:50 PM
Dr.Spock
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Links:
-Turnigy 9xr (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...o_module_.html)
-Turnigy 9xr battery (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tter_pack.html)

I have just done this same test with an additional Turnigy 9xr battery and got the same results. The battery voltage tester says 11.7 volts total and then the charger says 12.4 volts total. This was even a different charger too. The odd thing is right when I began the charge the total battery voltage read 11.74 for a second or so then jumped up to 12.4.

The reason why this is a problem for me is because I am not able to fully charge my batteries
Old Jul 03, 2014, 07:52 PM
Dr.Spock
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Since these results have happened with two separate Turnigy 9xr batteries with two separate chargers surely others have had similar results to this?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:53 PM
Dr.Spock
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
To follow up, I used a different charger (thunder ac6) and within the first 20 minutes the battery voltage as indicated by the charger was up to 12.58ish. However, it stayed there for 45 or so more minutes or so until the charger finally stopped charging. Now the battery is reading 12.4ish so I guess the issue was just something weird with the circuitry in the battery. If you have a similar issue PM me and I will explain further.

Problem solved.