HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:04 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,077 Posts
I second that !! .. ITS A GREAT AIRPLANE in optic and technic, now !! BG J, you are leading !!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:01 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,772 Posts
J.
Great news on the motor. It must be a nice sight to see and hear it running. I have a question on your favored battery to ESC connectors. What do you use to connect them together at the high watts/amps? I have always used Andersons since 2003 by my choice. Just curious as I will be using 2 -5000mah 5s to create 10s setup with 100 HV Esc . I may have to go with larger Anderson plugs with the higher amp ratings. Right now I have 30 amp connectors on the batteries. Any input well appreciated.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,078 Posts
Thanks Doug,
Yep, that Biela looks and works really nice. spinner too. Very happy with the setup now.

Dave,
Thanks, can't wait for you to meet all the guys out west and see if they are as gullible with your war stories as I am.
As far as the straight LE and TE on the wings: The straight edge on the LE comes from when the core is cut, the hot wire cuts the nice straight edge. And then when you sheet, simply sand up to it to keep that same edge. The TE is trimmed with a long straight edge and then sanded to a nice finish. Big sanding blocks on the sides to true them up same as the LE since the hot wire has then nice and crisp to start with. Good to hear that Lucy had a good outcome.

Thanks Jeff,
I'm afraid a close up selfie might hurt the camera lens. Don't think they have a lens operation to correct a Canon.

Thank you Hans

Hey Bob,
Thanks, appreciate that. I take some grief sometimes on my using Deans but I frankly haven't had many problems with them and of course through the years have become very comfortable with using them. This is a 10s setup but with two sets of batt packs( need the weight). So unless I'm all wet on this, each Dean connector is only going to be seeing half the amps which would be abut 40 A max. True, the dean that connects the esc to the packs will see full amperage but I don't expect to see full power on this model much at all. I'm pretty sure it will fly at scale speed at around 1/2 throttle, maybe a bit more. I think 50 watts per pound will keep it in the air.

Hope to get make time to put her all together and back up on the Vanessa Rig this weekend. Need to get her out of the shop so I have room to set up the booms on the Bronco.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:20 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
New motor power test results:

Powered up, ran the throttle up and it went smooth as silk. 300W....500W...900W...1300W ( about 1/2 throttle) 1700W...2100W.....2500W.... 2775W @ 72A and it still hadn't reached the high end stop on the throttle. But I was also holding by the H & V stab and it was TOUGH! Wow! It is a real horse now. I'm guessing full throttle static will be around 2900-3000W and 80A. I ran it back three more times but it was wearing me out holding it and I never went over 2700W again. .............................
Should be an awesome flyer!

Good luck at the eye doctor.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:39 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
John, I just sheeted a set of foam wings with 1/32 balsa. I used my vac. bagger for the first time and I ended up with some ripples in the skin where the spars are located. What do you recommend to use as a filler on the balsa to level the skins before I glass them? I read where people use everything from light weight spackle to epoxy mixed with micro balloons. I would like to know what you use or would recommend.

Thanks, Greg (Lt599)

I will be glassing with epoxy
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Last edited by Lt599; Jul 11, 2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:44 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,078 Posts
Thanks Pat,
Appreciate that.

Greg.
Why vac bag if you have the foam beds? I always just use the beds and a lot of weight. Anyway, I always use lite weight spackle. You can use epoxy/balloons but run the risk of sanding the balsa away before the epoxy flattens. And spackle sands rapidly, epoxy doesn't.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 03:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
John, thanks for the reply, I could have used the beds, and probably should have with the thin balsa, but I wanted to try my vac. system I have used the light weight sparkle many times but never glassed over it.

I sure hope I can make it to Vegas this year to see your new models in person, the Helldiver turned out beautiful and I'm sure the Bronco will too!

Greg
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,522 Posts
one needs to be carefull with vacuum bags ...they apply a lot of pressure and can easily crush /deform foam cores . i 'd go with light weight spackle to fix the waves in the skin ...then glass. epoxy and a lot of micro would work too and be stronger ...but it will be harder to sand.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
It was the first time I vacuum bagged anything, lessons learned for the future I will use the LWS and mix in some Durams for added strength.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,078 Posts
Greg,
I don't think you're looking for strength, or any more weight. I'd just go lite spackle, dry, sand to shape and you're ready for glass. I do it all the time on my wings where I have low places or have dinged it up working on it. Works great and is quick, I like quick.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:26 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,712 Posts
John if the system is drawing 72A, then it is drawing 72a from each battery in series. That's why I've switched to 40C batteries to keep the max draw at or around 50% of the batteries actual (claimed) max amp rating. At half throttle you'll likely be around 30-35a. My 12s system is only 40a at 1/2 throttle with max draw of 103a. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:37 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
John if the system is drawing 72A, then it is drawing 72a from each battery in series. That's why I've switched to 40C batteries to keep the max draw at or around 50% of the batteries actual (claimed) max amp rating. At half throttle you'll likely be around 30-35a. My 12s system is only 40a at 1/2 throttle with max draw of 103a. Doug B
With two sets of 4S 5000mAh and two sets of 6S 5000mAh he will be running 10S 10000mAh (2S + 2P), 72A on a 10000mAh (10Ah) pack is 7.2C. Even if the packs were 25C packs they are already well below 50% the C rating so I think he will be fine.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:40 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
I probably didn't explain that right Doug. I'll have two sets of 10s packs( 6s & 4s in series)paralleled to give 10,000 may in the plane so if the system is drawing 80 amps, each set should see half of that each, correct?

J
RCG Plus Member