HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:32 AM
I make stuff
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Question
Nsrca?

I'm just starting out in F3A, and am a little lost at this point. I tried to register on the NSRCA site and got no response. Is there a contact number I can call? How do I join, or is membership even mandatory to compete? (I am an AMA member)

Also, I'm a little mixed up flying the schedules. Are the roll directions mandated, or are those pilot choice? (ie: arrow pointing up vs. down) I'm still a little fuzzy reading aresti, couldn't find a definitive answer.
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Great Planes Proud Bird EF-1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2013, 06:10 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
I was able to register on the NSRCA site but it isn't all that automated. You get the paypal receipt but then someone has to manually do something behind the scenes, then you get access to additional material and an email with your registration number. I was able to reply after that and get a few questions answered.

I'm not that clear on the competition rules as I just joined and have never been to an events. I also live in the Northeast which seems to be the worst area of the country for RC. I'll have to drive four or five hours if I do want to try an event next season.

On the rolls, no the direction isn't dictated.

On the Aresti, I think there's a tutorial on how to read it somewhere, maybe on the NSCRA side, maybe on the IMAC site, or just google it.

There are very good documents on the sequences. Start there. I'm not sure if all are available to non-members or not.

http://www.nsrca.us/images/stories/c...n_Sequence.pdf

http://www.nsrca.us/images/stories/c...scriptions.pdf

http://www.nsrca.us/index.php/call-s...ortsman-aresti

Those are the Sportsman documents. Do yourself a favor and don't try to overload yourself by understand the higher levels yet. Just study those.

I've been practicing the Sportsman sequence for a month or two. I can do all the moves although some are still real real real sloppy. The Sportsman moves are all simple, but that doesn't mean it's easy at first. I'm thinking maybe I'll be able to one or maybe two events next season and hope to just be able to finish the sequence with the moves being recognizable.

By the way, this rcgroup forum is pretty quiet. I've always preferred rcgroups over rcuniverse but the pattern board over on rcuniverse is much more active and you'll get better answers over there. I'm only a month or two ahead of you on the learning curve; you'll find people over there that actually know stuff. NSRCA has a email lists but email lists are such a pain. That's '80s technology; web forums are better. Not sure why NSRCA doesn't have a web forum. Maybe they just don't have a server that can run one.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Last edited by learn2turn; Oct 17, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 AM
I make stuff
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Thanks L2T, I understand the schedules with the exception of the roll direction, it didn't occur to me until yesterday - a random thought I guess. Thanks for the quick answer.

I didn't even get that far with the registration - I'm stuck at the first screen for the website registration. I did send an email, but so far no response.

I'm not a new flyer(25 years, Instructor, etc), just new to F3A. That being said, I've been practising the sportsman and sequence now for a few months, think I have it down pretty well. I get a lot of advice from the "peanut gallery" Just gotta clean up my presentation a little, practice some more, and actually compete. Flying a GP Sequence(50") and a CARF Integral (2M)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:12 AM
I make stuff
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
...By the way, this rcgroup forum is pretty quiet. I've always preferred rcgroups over rcuniverse but the pattern board over on rcuniverse is much more active and you'll get better answers over there. I'm only a month or two ahead of you on the learning curve; you'll find people over there that actually know stuff. NSRCA has a email lists but email lists are such a pain. That's '80s technology; web forums are better. Not sure why NSRCA doesn't have a web forum. Maybe they just don't have a server that can run one.

-l2t
Ya, I'm really not liking the "new universe", but I'm also on there, same username.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwrr5 View Post

I didn't even get that far with the registration - I'm stuck at the first screen for the website registration. I did send an email, but so far no response.

I'm not a new flyer(25 years, Instructor, etc), just new to F3A. That being said, I've been practising the sportsman and sequence now for a few months, think I have it down pretty well. I get a lot of advice from the "peanut gallery" Just gotta clean up my presentation a little, practice some more, and actually compete. Flying a GP Sequence(50") and a CARF Integral (2M)
Next to "home" on the list tabs is "Join" from there should be a form to register. If you register now, you're good through 2014.

I use the Integral 2M on my simulator to practice. The biggest real plane I practice with now is a 41" Leader 480. I have a 62" Monolog 70 on the bench for next season. If I decide I like pattern, then maybe a 2m build over next winter. I still can't believe how much bigger the 70 is on the bench compared to the other planes I've been flying. I'm not sure where I can even work on a 2meter plane.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
I make stuff
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Next to "home" on the list tabs is "Join" from there should be a form to register. If you register now, you're good through 2014.

I use the Integral 2M on my simulator to practice. The biggest real plane I practice with now is a 41" Leader 480. I have a 62" Monolog 70 on the bench for next season. If I decide I like pattern, then maybe a 2m build over next winter. I still can't believe how much bigger the 70 is on the bench compared to the other planes I've been flying. I'm not sure where I can even work on a 2meter plane.
Right, that's what isn't working. I fill out the form, hit register at the bottom, then it just gives me a blank screen that says to register or login.

The integral is a real sweetheart, but she is a big plane (at least in the shop). Fortunately, there's not really any maintenance to do once you get it flying, as long as nothing goofy happens. The only expendable part might be the wheel pants, or possibly a prop every once in a while depending on your field. (I fly on dirt & gravel )
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
115 Posts
Welcome, the NSRCA is a great resource but like most SIGs it is less than perfect.

Scott Mcharg is the NSRCA secretary and handles membership.

http://nsrca.us/index.php/officers/secretary

He is very enthusiastic and will get you set up as fast as he can.

Roll direction is pilots option unless specified. Find your district and see what people and events are in your area. Practicing with experienced pilots is well worth the time.

The Aresti guide is under judging

http://nsrca.us/images/stories/judgi...ade_Simple.pdf

This forum is fairly new and the other place gets much more traffic.

Keep at it and you will find pattern flying is very addicting!
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
I make stuff
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyr View Post
...Keep at it and you will find pattern flying is very addicting!
I can attest to that. I'm a total newbie at pattern, never been to or even scene a contest and just learning Sportsman, but after being into RC for a couple decades I find pattern makes it a heck of a lot more interesting.

In RC in general, after a while the novelty of keeping a plane in the air wears off. Then what? It can get boring just to fly around. But when I fly pattern, it gives me something to work on. Like, the loop was pretty but I bet I can do another one that's prettier. It adds challenge, even if not competing, and that keeps RC interesting.

-Ken aka l2t.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:13 PM
Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
cwrr5,

we ( 5 of us) fly pattern every Sunday here in the east valley so feel free to join us anytime. There are 2 other sportman's flyers learning the ropes so we can help you out. email me anytime if you need help or have questions. Tucson is only 1.5 hrs away.

patternhead
M Austin
mwaustin54@cox.net
patternhead is offline Find More Posts by patternhead