HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2014, 12:24 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Hey buddy ,!,..I know ya been busy!!,.. so I hope you don't mind,.. I shared your build link of the W/D with Leon ,I also gave him mine ,....,...Tim
haxawsnavy is online now Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by haxawsnavy; May 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: puncuation
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2014, 09:11 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Hey everyone. I have started training at a new job! I am still adjusting to the new sleep schedule and trying to get into a routine. My modeling exploits have been put on a short hold while I am getting all this new stuff worked out. I am going to have my Sundays off, so I will most likely be doing my tests then.
I know that Arrow has been off for a about a week, so things are kind of slowing a little here on this venture. Perhaps I can squeeze in some lake time tomorrow.

Just so you know, the boat tow project is still going. Maybe Duncan has a chance to fly first. We'll just have to wait and see.
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introspective on work and play
Old Jun 01, 2014, 02:14 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
You concentrate on the training, toys can be a good relief of tensions brought on by changes but first things first. I`m back home after a quick trip round the Baltic Sea and have another project to delay flight tests so I reckon we are still equal in the race. Well maybe not as you have an operational tow boat. Good luck on Sunday. Good to see the lovely assistant did well at the graduation.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Jun 01, 2014, 10:21 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Thanks Duncan. Rained like crazy today (Sunday) so no lake time.

The new job is my main priority right now. I will fit in the RC once acclimated a bit to the new position.

I will be checking in on this forum daily but usually just for lurking or to answer questions. The only confirmed day off I have been told of is Sunday's. One day a week to do building AND testing will severely limit my ability to finish this project in a timely manner.

I will do my best to keep this thread interesting. Duncan, I would appreciate you continuing to post your progress as it inspires me .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Inspireing

+1, Duncan !,..H.X.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wild cat almost tamed
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Thx dude!

Matt,- The pic's look great!,.. The vid,.. as you said,.. needs some work on my part , Thankyou AGAIN !,..for the proxy post to my thread ,..I'll get it worked out soooner or later...........Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:24 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Hey all....I am still here. My new job is keeping me busy, but I am still working on some rc related stuff. No new updates regarding the rogallo tow. I was intending to do a test run today (Sunday) but we are into our summer pattern of weather which means rain showers in the afternoon. I hear the thunder of the impending rain as I write this update. Once I have adjusted to my new schedule of the new job, I'll have more time to put on RC. Looks like I'll be getting Friday and Sunday as my days off. During training, we are working 6 days a week with only Sunday off.
Once acclimated, you will get some more interesting stuff coming.
Thanks for following and please keep your comments coming. Most of you know I am helping Tim (Haxawsnavy) with his project too. You can see more of my comments in his build thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:35 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
New job is going well. I'll be getting back to the boats soon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Congrat's!!,..more money to buy building stuff with!!!,.....H.X.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:16 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Murphy is alive and well!

Hello everybody! I know its been a while since hearing anything new on this thread. My apologies. I have finally acclimated to my new job and have started to get back to the hobby! YAY!

I decided that today (Sunday) was good time to make a run to the lake and try the boat tow of the rogallo again. All seemed well at first...

Battery pack charged over night (check)
New batteries for the transmitter (check)
Spare batteries for the camera (check)
Boat tested on the stand (check)
Tools and equipment packed and checked (check)
Rogalla checked over for any problems (check)

All was good as the young and beautiful assistant and I headed to the park and lake. Arrival showed no one using the pavilion....excellent!
I get everything setup and turn the camera on and I get the message :
"Out of memory" A quick check reveals that I forgot to put the SD card back in the camera after using it on the computer. (problem 1)
I forgot to bring the smartphone that has a camera (problem 2)
The wind starts picking up so I tethered the rogallo and had it flying like a kite inside the pavilion. (you'll have to take my word for it because of problem #1.

Encouraged by the kite flight, I decided to see if my assistant could snap some pics with her cell phone. Her phone mysteriously gets a dead battery. (problem 3)
At this point I was about ready to give up, but being stubborn, I pressed on.
I figured I could at least get some fun run time with the Who-Doggy.

She takes off and starts to list to one side every time I accelerate. I limped her back to shore and found the battery pack had come loose from its Velcro fasteners and was laying against the side of the hull she was listing to. (explains the listing) Can't imagine what would have made the Velcro give out though.
I placed the battery back into position and checked for its holding power. Everything seemed fine. (Reason for failure is still a mystery)
Later inspection revealed that the paper coating on the foamboard tore away. The Velcro was still attached to its other side.

I button her up again and she performs great! During a half power turn, the motor dies. A quick spurt one time is all I could get after that. There she sat...in the middle of the lake, powerless and drifting with the wind. My assistant brings me the fishing pole with the recovery grappling hook and I was able to hook her and bring her back to shore. I tried the throttle many times while walking to the pavilion with no response. Once back in the pavilion, I open her up and see the ESC light comes on when I give throttle, but no output to the motor. It was acting as if the battery pack was dead and was going into low voltage shutdown mode.

After a few minutes of sitting, the motor responded again, but it was running at a very slow pace. (Maybe the battery pack died?) I'll charge up the new LiPo pack I got and try it again to be sure. Funny thing is, the NiMh pack charged overnight with a trickle charger. Could be a bad charger too. Later investigation revealed a disconnected water cooling hose on the ESC that was spraying water onto the ESC. After drying things out, all works again.

At this time, I choose to pack it up and go home. Just then a very big gust of wind blew through the pavilion and tore the rogallo off its table and weigh down system. It flew across the pavilion and hit the upright support pole hard. 2 of the support rods were broken.

That was the last straw. It was ever so apparent that I was not supposed to be there at that time. We packed up everything in the car headed home.
I know some would say that a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work, but when you encounter a day like this, all bets are off!

I haven't given up. There WILL be other tries and I WON'T forget the SD card!
Carnage pictures attached.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by circuitfxr; Jun 29, 2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: copy text
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Ouch !!!

Hope the repairs go well n look forward to seeing ya back in the action !!,....Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Paper/Glue fault

Matt!, chastise me if you will, for my choice of removeing the paper, I know the paper adds strength, but it is a weak link to attach anything to,..I don't trust the glue if I can EZ pull it off after a few momments of dampness, so sayeth the Haxsaw!!,..LOL,!!!... hope repairs are comeing along both for the W/D, n the Rogallo!!!,...Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:51 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Thanks Tim. You got to do what you got to do! LOL I am still working on finding time to get to the lake. My schedule has been kind of tight since I started working again. The Who Doggy is back in working condition again and repairs on the rogallo are complete. I am looking forward to some lake time in the near future.
My last trip to the lake was a disaster, but I did get to fly the rogallo like a kite. Proof of concept , if you will. At least I know it will fly at low speed.

I haven't heard from Duncan in a while, maybe he already got his in the air?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:35 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Summertime!

Hey hey hey! Its summer time! I know for most of the country and the world, summer is fun time! Here in central Florida, it means HOT HOT and very HUMID!
We have a summer time weather pattern of afternoon/evening rain almost every day.
This makes it hard to get to the lake after work.
Fortunately, my new job gives me a weekday off, Friday. I'll try to get to the lake Friday morning and try the rogallo tow once again.
Hey Duncan! I haven't heard anything about your rogallo for a while. If you are still following this thread, how about an update.

All repairs from the last disaster day at the lake have been done. All ready for another try!

I have attached some photos of further "murphy day carnage" and some from the 4th of July celebration in Leesburg.
RCG Plus Member