HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:50 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
Discussion
How do i know when im ready for an EDF?

Hey guys. I started looking at EDF's and they sparked my interest. The only EDF's i want to fly are sport and airliners...no military aircraft. What i want to know is, when do i know i will be ready? To get an idea of my flying experience I have flown the parkzone ember 2, hobbyzone champ, micro T-28, Flyzone Sensei, and there is a parkzone P47 sitting in my basement that i do not have the courage to fly yet. Also, the flyzone cessna corvalis will be in my hands at some point. So when would I know if I am ready for an EDF? The EDF im thinking about getting first is the Stinger 64 from hobbyking.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,303 Posts
When you can snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper.
swarick is offline Find More Posts by swarick
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
If you can fly the stinger slow at first and keep air speed up in turns and land with some power on (using throttle as elevator) and fly some clean patterns then you're ready I guess. I'm a pretty flat flyer; some inverted passes, slow rolls, loops, mid level dives...and land which is the only thing you should be expert at.

warning: EDFs are addictive, the first couple of hits are free and then these birds will have you hooked
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
When you can fly the P-47 well,get a heavier low wing warbird,and practice with that for a while.When you can fly a fairly heavy one,you'll be ready for one of the light,foamy edfs like the Stinger or Habu.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,485 Posts
When you can comfortably fly the P-47, you're ready for an EDF. I would not recommend the Stinger as your first EDF. It's small and could be a handful if you're not used to small and fast aircraft. I have one and have flown it. It's not super forgiving.
I would recommend the Habu ver. 1 or 2. Very nice and stable flyers, especially since you've been purchasing Horizon Hobby products. You could get it PNP or BNF. Another plane would be the DuraFly Vampire. Very nice flyer. See the thread in the "electric warbirds" section on RCGroups. There are a few mods to improve it.
What also matters is where you fly, do you have any pavement? If not, your EDF choices are more limited.
Also, how big is your field? The size of a football field is a little on the small side for most EDFs.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:38 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
You are already ready, no special talent needed. You can get a foamy, ready to fly, and have a ball.

If you decide to assemble your own ARF, then the learning experience starts. Mainly, EDFs don't have prop to keep them cool, they suck up more watts, are not as efficient as props. So, the builder actually has to engineer some aspects of the assembly.

Bottom line = Just do it
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:57 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
What he said.
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2008
288 Posts
When you have your credit card, or check book in hand, then YOU ARE READY! There is no magic to flying an edf, or anything else. If you take off, fly around, and land a prop driven plane, then you can fly an edf. Keep in mind, not all edfs fly at the speed of sound, and even those that do, have a throttle. So my suggestion would, go for it and enjoy.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:25 PM
2 new
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
EDF jets are sweet looking. I've been flying with a buddy box only twice so far, and when I get some more money and can sneak another big box into the house without "her" noticing, I'm getting one. That's when I know I'm ready. Don't care if I crash and burn, as long as I had a blast doing it.
RayPaganJr is offline Find More Posts by RayPaganJr
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint View Post
There is no magic to flying an edf, or anything else. If you take off, fly around, and land a prop driven plane, then you can fly an edf.
This kind of chatter is what disturbs me a little (strictly as a modeler and aviation enthusiast).

Anybody can *make* an airplane takeoff, fly, and land, but to say there's nothing special about an EDF vs. a Propeller driven plane is like telling someone there's no difference between building a Hangar 9 .60 Mustang and a .60 Trainer as your first plane.

There are TONS of differences in performance and aerodynamics to be considered when flying an EDF --- especially at the higher end of the spectrum. I will admit that with the influx of "cheap china foamies", just about anyone can get into EDF with a very minimal investment... but even those planes that fly nothing like most bigger composites have their differences versus an intro prop plane.

To be objective with the OP questions, I would summarize it (vaguely) like this:

You are ready for a fast, park flyer EDF when you can ---

1.) safely takeoff and land in both directions (respective to relative wind).
2.) fly regular patterns and figure-8's in both directions.
3.) stay ahead of the airplane to the point where you can predict pretty much exactly where it's going to be in 2-3 seconds.
4.) feel confident in flying a little faster than you're used to with a model that has a higher wing loading than a similar sized parkflyer.

For several reasons, I would definitely not throw a raw rookie straight into an EDF until they've accomplished at least the aformentioned objectives. In this day and age, the *sting* of getting into EDF has been greatly reduced... but that can be a good and bad thing!!! Do yourself a favor and set yourself up for success, so one day you can SAFELY and confidently fly big, fast EDFs!
If you take away anything from my little rant... don't be a "Sherlock"

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPaganJr View Post
EDF jets are sweet looking. I've been flying with a buddy box only twice so far, and when I get some more money and can sneak another big box into the house without "her" noticing, I'm getting one. That's when I know I'm ready. Don't care if I crash and burn, as long as I had a blast doing it.
THATS the EDF attitude..lol

Just go for it
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPaganJr View Post
Don't care if I crash and burn, as long as I had a blast doing it.
That's another point too.
If you don't care about balling up your stuff, and you're having fun doing it, by all means knock your socks off! Having fun is why we play in this hobby anyway!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Been flying for, well, decades. Last year I decided to try a edf. I wanted to start small and cheap, so I bought the little hk f9 from the us, when they had the .99 shipping. I wanted one with more of a conventional wing, instead of swept. The best 55 bucks I've ever spent in rc. Thing is a blast. I'll probably move up to a larger edf soon, but this thing just keeps getting glued back together. As mentioned, edfs don't like lazy turns, keep it hot. And they also require a lot more approach for landing, since they don't slow down as fast.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:48 PM
2 new
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
One of our club members flew a micro F-86 today brand new out of the box. He's an experienced member and watching that little jet zip around the field was impressive. I definitely know I'm not experienced enough to fly that thing, and if it gets too far away from me quickly, I would probably lose sight of it and lose it. But that being said, I would still love to get my hands on one and try. In the meantime, I'll just fly it on my sim.
RayPaganJr is offline Find More Posts by RayPaganJr
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
I always like to suggest, to a non-EDF flyer, to get a pusher flying wing foamy. This plane will teach you what happens when you have no prop blast over the surfaces. They are less forgiving than a tractor prop job, but more forgiving than an EDF.

The diff in learning the progression, is the lack of instantaneous acceleration(static thrust). You have to learn to fly an EDF all the time. Some are notably easier than others. You don't have to have an EDF that fly's 100mph or faster.

You may even take the transition pusher flying wing, and mate a fan to it. Then you will be ready.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin