Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Oct 2011
69 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Extra 300 32e vs Mini Funtana X

Anyone have an strong opinion either way on selecting between these two planes? I'm looking for a fun, do-everything kind of plane, not a special purpose setup.
Prone8 is offline Find More Posts by Prone8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,765 Posts
Just wondered if you tried this question in any other forums. I have recently purchased a minifuntana x and inquired about experiences with them in a forum or two with no responses either. I wonder if they are just not popular among the folks who frequent these forums or just not popular with any crowd. I have one friend that loves them, but that is all I know about them. I would love some feedback also, but doesn't seem available in these forums.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Oct 2011
69 Posts
Have you flown it yet? What do you think?
Prone8 is offline Find More Posts by Prone8
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Hi Prone8,

I don't have any experience with the E-Flite Extra 300, But I do have a Fliton Extra 330. I also have the mini Funtana X. The Fliton Extra 330 is a much better flying plane than the mini funtana X, Primarily because the Fliton Extra 330 is a much lighter plane than the mini Funtana X.

I did put a larger motor and battery in the mini funtana X and it performed a little better, But it still had to carry the extra weight. I replaced the E-flite Park 480 1020Kv and the 3s 2100mAh lipo with a E-Flite Power 10 and a 3s 2500mAh lipo to balance out the heavier motor
You would be hard pressed to find a Fliton Extra 330, But that would be my choice over the mini Funtana X. In the photo, The mini Funtana is in the middle of the second row from the rear.I hadn't purchased the Fliton Extra 330 yet.

That's just my experience with the two planes.

J.
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old May 16, 2012, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Hi Prone8,

I don't have any experience with the E-Flite Extra 300, But I do have a Fliton Extra 330. I also have the mini Funtana X. The Fliton Extra 330 is a much better flying plane than the mini funtana X, Primarily because the Fliton Extra 330 is a much lighter plane than the mini Funtana X.

I did put a larger motor and battery in the mini funtana X and it performed a little better, But it still had to carry the extra weight. I replaced the E-flite Park 480 1020Kv and the 3s 2100mAh lipo with a E-Flite Power 10 and a 3s 2500mAh lipo to balance out the heavier motor
You would be hard pressed to find a Fliton Extra 330, But that would be my choice over the mini Funtana X. In the photo, The mini Funtana is in the middle of the second row from the rear.I hadn't purchased the Fliton Extra 330 yet.

That's just my experience with the two planes.

J.
where is your cg? that batt and motor setup is probably 6 oz heavier than stock. the problem is the weight of the batt,,,,that big of a batt is adding unnecessary nose weight....the larger motor also adds nose weight...did u make a custom batt tray whewre u mount the batt on tip of the wing tube or behind it? if u have the rear of the batt against the wing tube, that is still in front of the cg and will make it nose heavy.....try using an 1800mah 3s to lighten up the nose and it should fly better. also use no smaller than a 12" prop for enough thrust....also fly with the sfg's...they not only improve rudder authority, they also increase post stall flying performance like in an upright harrier
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old May 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prone8 View Post
Anyone have an strong opinion either way on selecting between these two planes? I'm looking for a fun, do-everything kind of plane, not a special purpose setup.
i think it would be easier to precision fly the very 3d capable funtana vs trying to 3d fly the imac extra......the extra is considerably larger so if u mainly want to sport fly it or imac stuff it will be more stable but the funtana has a lighter wing loading so u can fly it a lot slower.....they r different sized planes so u might consider what batts u already have.....a fully equipped extra is also a lot more expensive
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old May 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,765 Posts
I have also had no luck getting much if any feedback on the mini funtanaX. I picked one up on a deal too good to pass up and have two friends that really like theirs. I am not a 3d flyer, more of an advanced beginner that likes aerobatics. I like the funtana, but do not have enough experience with it at this point in time. The one problem I need to work on is coupling on knife edge. Wants to loop toward the wheels. I either need to dial in a mix or acquire more skills on the sticks I suppose. On the motors, one of the friends I have that flies one and does do 3d with it tried the power 10 setup and found that it flew much better with the 480, so has went back to it. The extra weight ruined it for him. I have more recently purchased a Twist 3d 480 and like it better than the funtana. It has a very wide flight envelope and capabilities. It also has better low speed handling and is much easier to land. Those are the only two balsa planes I own and still think I prefer foam. It seems to me that in these forums, especially for 3d or aerobatics that eflight is a bad word. Seems as if they are immediately ruled out by name only. I am a staunch supporter of local hobby shops and absolutely hate to order stuff - I want to see and feel it in real life and see if it nuzzles up to me and tries to get me to take it home. I have not found a local hobby shop within 100 miles that handles the 3dhs and the like brand wise.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
there's a thread here on the MFX http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589397

I had one for almost 2 years and really loved it until the fatal crash when the ground jumped up and hit my plane lol I was recently going to get another one, but seen that have gone up in price about $35 OUCH! I liked e-flight when the 480 size planes was about $109. but for the price they are now I would rather go on and put a bit more with it to get something from 3dhobbyshop or Precision Aerobatics. IMO they are far better quality and more capable airplanes

bobly, have u asked your local hobby shops if they could get anything from 3dHS? The LHS here only stocks RC airplane items distributed form Horizon Hobby and TowerHobbies, however they do special order from PA, 3dhs, Extremeflight rc,... etc....
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri
Last edited by flybri; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,460 Posts
I have only flowen the Mini Funtana X and and so I can understand why some have gottten it at such a bargain. There was little I liked about it.

It is now an older design and there are many planes in that size range that will be better at sport, precision and 3D. I would tke a look at planes in this size from

3DHS, PA, Extreme flight and Sebart. Any one of those will be a far better flyer.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,937 Posts
Had mine for almost 6 years now and it is still going strong. It really doesn't 3d very well but that is now how I fly anyway. If I wanted to hover around then I would but a helicopter. I have an AXI 2808 in it with a CC 40 amp esc using 2200 3s. Flight times are around 10 minutes with a rather robust flight. Very stable airplane that will go where every you point it and then some.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad