HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Looking good.... Shoot some good video for us to see....

You don't have to add a lot of weight to get some color on the plane. I like the thinner economy thickness of the colored packing tape. It works well with clear lights to create colors for night flying. If you use colored lights the tape will block some of the light spectrum. The actual weight of the tape is very low and as long as you don't use too much will make your plane easier to stay oriented to.

http://www.findtape.com/product343/J...Packaging+Tape
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
I have had a couple of questions on E-mail about wing thickness and which plane is best for certain set ups.

The two planes I want to compare are the Deep Reaper and the Hercules. Both of these are low drag, high lift designs that are relatively easy to launch and will glide at low speed without instability. Neither of these designs has a snap roll tendency if they are build well and if they are not flown tail heavy.

The Deep Reaper has a 61 inch span and the Herc Pusher has a 63" span. They aren't that much different in wing span but the Herc is deeper. They can fly with the same motors and servos but the Herc can handle bigger motors and heavier batteries. Both planes can fit in my Corolla with the passenger seat laid back so they are easy to transport.

I designed both with thinner airfoils to decrease drag and to make them as efficient and stable for their size as I could.

The Herc is 2.25" thick and the Deep Reaper is 1.6" thick. This is a significant difference and needs to be considered when you are looking at which batteries and cameras you want to carry. It is easier to mount the GoPro in the Herc but some of our best FPV videos on our web site were taken with a Gopro on the Deep Reaper.

http://crashtesthobby.com/video-gallery
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:10 AM
Hit Me! Please!
jwjohnson's Avatar
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
It does seem too large, could I reduce the maximum throttle setting to not exceed the max amps?
Reducing the throttle does not make the burden on the ESC less. If you are worried about the motor being over amped reduced throttle settings will help. The way ESC's work the full current is applied to the motor in small bursts. The burst duration increases until you get to full throttle and then the current is continuous. Flying at reduced throttle still sends the max current through the system during those bursts. In many ESC's they will get hotter at a reduced throttle setting than at full throttle. You really need to have a watt meter so you can see what your plane does and don't rely on motor calculators. If in doubt, prop down or use a bigger ESC.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Decreasing the size of your prop is the safest, easiest and least expensive way to drop the amp draw.

We burned out a couple of ESCs this year pushing them too hard with the 3536-1800 KV motor.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:40 AM
UH60 Pilot
E1Allen's Avatar
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
Reducing the throttle does not make the burden on the ESC less. If you are worried about the motor being over amped reduced throttle settings will help. The way ESC's work the full current is applied to the motor in small bursts. The burst duration increases until you get to full throttle and then the current is continuous. Flying at reduced throttle still sends the max current through the system during those bursts. In many ESC's they will get hotter at a reduced throttle setting than at full throttle. You really need to have a watt meter so you can see what your plane does and don't rely on motor calculators. If in doubt, prop down or use a bigger ESC.
My esc is plenty, doesn't even get warm. Full throttle exceeds motor max amps supposedly by five so I plan on propping down when I get one in. Until then I'll reduce max throttle setting and try to get a hold of a watt meter.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:52 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
do u think my 480 1024 kv motor would be able to swing a 9x4 i guess u could say, anygood? i got a 60amp esc and from what i have read i could easly drop down to a 30 amp or even a 20, and i got wo 20 amp escs, im currently useing a 10x7 but i thought id be quiter, its just as loud as any of my 2200 6x4 setup pusher planes. and id get more flight time if i prop down another size, so what u guys think?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
UH60 Pilot
E1Allen's Avatar
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Ok. just got done with my first FPV flight with the Deep Reaper XL, what a blast. I flew for about 40 minutes and went out according to google earth about 1.75 miles with the stock omni antennas. I'm going to charge the batteries to see how much MAH was used but they were still showing 3.8v left and I was probably flying most of the time at 50%throttle or higher. I don't have osd or current sensor so not sure how many amps I was pulling or what have you but I did have a good time.

Eric
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:32 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
kokopropelli's Avatar
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Ok. just got done with my first FPV flight with the Deep Reaper XL, what a blast. I flew for about 40 minutes and went out according to google earth about 1.75 miles with the stock omni antennas. I'm going to charge the batteries to see how much MAH was used but they were still showing 3.8v left and I was probably flying most of the time at 50%throttle or higher. I don't have osd or current sensor so not sure how many amps I was pulling or what have you but I did have a good time.

Eric
Thats an awful long ways out for your first time! especially since you don't have any OSD and I'm assuming no RTH. Its just awfully risky in my opinion, but its not my setup nor my money....just my .02.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:40 PM
Registered User
ashdec87's Avatar
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Eric, I have to agree with ^, but congrats!!!!!
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:09 PM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Reaper

Hi Le e,
I am considering buying a Grim Reaper kit and am having problems on the Crash Test Hobby site finding the page of recommended parts. When I click that button I get a link to the shopping list and that page has lots of links but seems to be for other planes. How do I find the recommended parts for the only the Grim Reaper?
Thanks for the help. When I went to your site my computer never did stop trying to load. I know you have lots of videos but maybe the loading problem is why it hasn't loaded the page of recommended parts??
Thanks again.
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:04 PM
UH60 Pilot
E1Allen's Avatar
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Thats an awful long ways out for your first time! especially since you don't have any OSD and I'm assuming no RTH. Its just awfully risky in my opinion, but its not my setup nor my money....just my .02.
I'm thinking once visual sight is lost at a couple hundred feet or whatever beyond that wouldn't make much difference would it? Still had great video feed, plan on getting cp antenna and osd in the near future. Also upgrading to 6s, this 6.4lb wing needs to cruise faster at a lower throttle setting.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
Hi Le e,
I am considering buying a Grim Reaper kit and am having problems on the Crash Test Hobby site finding the page of recommended parts. When I click that button I get a link to the shopping list and that page has lots of links but seems to be for other planes. How do I find the recommended parts for the only the Grim Reaper?
Thanks for the help. When I went to your site my computer never did stop trying to load. I know you have lots of videos but maybe the loading problem is why it hasn't loaded the page of recommended parts??
Thanks again.
David
http://crashtesthobby.com/more/shopping-list

The small planes are at the top of the list and the bigger planes at the bottom. We used to have a list for each plane but it was always out of date and links were not working so we made a single list for all the planes.

The pictures below are all of the same plane.

.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
UH60 Pilot
E1Allen's Avatar
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
FPV Maiden flown with Dragonlink V2 (7 min 16 sec)


My first FPV flight. Deep Reaper XL with 16,000 mah gave me 40 minutes of flight at more than half throttle buzzing around.
Went out 1.75 miles and back.

Dragonlink V2 and 1.3g video.

Thanks flohio177 for coming out and helping.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:49 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Great video. Which motor are your using?
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
UH60 Pilot
E1Allen's Avatar
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
3536-1800 using 3s. I think 6.5lbs is too heavy for the motor. Looking for some 6s options and run batteries in series
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Reaper GR60 Stagger_Wing Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jan 13, 2010 01:43 AM
Sold Reaper GR 60 wrpsr1911 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jan 06, 2010 09:28 PM
Build Log House of Balsa "Grim Reaper" P51 Mustang Gun Jam Electric Warbirds 28 Dec 20, 2009 03:25 PM
Discussion Body count... Grim but it's really gotta be done. Bilbobaker Life, The Universe, and Politics 15 Nov 15, 2009 01:09 PM
Gallery Grim reaper Wickett R/C Pumpkin Contest 1 Oct 31, 2005 04:37 PM