HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2010, 04:40 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 04:49 AM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:56 AM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 04:58 AM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 05:01 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Green filter?
I'll get those lenses back to you soon. I have addressed the new envelope but I'll keep them just a little bit longer to do some experiments or something may turn up. One lens looks better than one of mine.

Anyone know where I can get a green filter? but I saw the question mark after the word filter. It is probably an infrared filter??

Thanks
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old May 28, 2010, 05:20 AM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:56 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
questions? you and me both, mate!
I see you have done a few posts and I'll get to them soon but here are some comments to this one.

I have been flying for over 40 years so do not have a problem with crashing into the ground any more but we try to hit each other in the air and my mate totally ate one of my wings on my 40 year old 7 ft glider recently. It had a camera in it but I forgot to turn on the base station. Not running FPV yet but luckily had the $20 hobbycity camera attached to my head.

I just thought I would show you this (the hobbycity camera) as you may get some fun putting one on a plane or attach it to your forehead.

Trident RC Glider Mid-air Crash 29 April 2010 (3 min 10 sec)

Not a bad quality for a $20 camera.

Here are your questions:

1. Futaba Faast should fix the glitches.

here comes some more quality noob questions... can you elaborate on the Fasst please? this is 36mhz?

I keep my eyes open when at hobby shops and I have been lucky to have been with a couple of blokes every couple of weeks with FPV stuff for the last 9 months. I am a pain to Max and asked a lot of questions but that is the only way to learn. I have seen a lot of this flying:

http://vimeo.com/user471993/videos/sort:date

And he shows the crashes not like some - but check this out:

FPV Fox - 17-JAN-10 (6 min 4 sec)

Courtesy of MAX - I can watch it all day.

Now to the question: Some people will argue with my opinion but following is what I know.

I started with a new 36mhz T4EXA Futaba 36mhz transmitter system to control the planes. I found this to be not too good so I got second hand off ebay a HiTec transmitter (36mhz) as it has 5 model memory and digital trims. I just want and go and fly and not worry about the trims so DIGITAL Trims are the only way to go. I guess all the 2.4ghz stuff has
digital trims. So not I do not use the new Futaba transmitter but just the second hand one with digital trims. If you want a good receiver and I have bought 7 of them, they are Corona RP8D1. They are great for general flying but for going out of site they may not be any good. They are 36mhz synthesized so you do not need a crystal.

I was lucky and bought a second hand elle bee (only flown twice) and it came with a Futaba 2.4GHZ Faast transmitter and receiver. T6EX. A larger memory one would be better. From what I know the 36mhz one goes a certain amount of distance and the 2.4ghz goes further and that is why I am putting that in my EasyStar and not the 36mhz. I have read what has been said about lockouts etc. I'll check further on the 36MHZ but I would trust my Fasst Futaba more. Futaba is the brand but FASST is the system of frequency hopping which is so reliable. The Spectrum brand apparently are not worth the money. That is generalizing a bit much and people use it with no problems but maybe not for FPV.

Faast is only a 2.4ghz Futaba system to control your planes and quite expensive.

2. I have gone with the 900mhz video so hopefully this is the best.

to suit 36mhz rc?

900MHZ video will work with 36mhz or 2.4ghz. It is just 2.4ghz video does not work with a 2.4ghz transmitter to control the plane.

7. Vibrations - will get them.

2 stroke dle30cc- i'm sure this will = vibrations!
i was thinking of rubber mounting my motor to the bulhead- is this an accepted practice?
also is there a way to isolate the camera from engine vibes?

This will upset you - I do not understand why anyone would go petrol when the batteries are so good these days. My mate does both and loves the petrol ones. (Yeh and it ate my glider) So I have no experience with petrol motors. (I know it is not petrol)

Thanks for the offer to ask questions - guess I'll have a lot.

Hope this helps. I have explained my experience but it may be good info for you. With electrics there is one train of thought like my mate - we'll just fly them and not worry about how many AMPS etc but there is a lot to electrics if you want to go into it and have fast planes.

One of my planes draws 35amps on the normal 2200mha 25c to 30c battery but I bought a 40c battery and it draws 62amps. So if you put this battery in the old standard setup you smoke the speed controller and motor. At least I have all the testing gear now to test new stuff.

I'll let you know where I got all my gear from soon.
Last edited by Firepower; May 28, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:28 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
only fun?? i'm hoping it'll be better than sex!!!
I'll deal with a method of recording later, placing my priority on getting all the gear for the bird first, so I can assemble it, then maiden her at the local Tingalpa airfield so I can get a good feel for her, then later go fpv. so the base station will be later down the track

I CAME DOWN TO TINGALPA A FEW WEEKS AGO FOR A LOOK AND THE BLOKE I KNOW LIVES DOWN YOUR WAY BUT COMES OVER TO THE NORTHSIDE TO FLY A LOT.

I have bought but am waiting for some items:

1. Pan/tilt for the receiver. READYMADERC.COM
2. Two 900mhz receivers. RANGEVIDEO.COM
3. One 200mw TX and a 500mw. RANGEVIDEO.COM
4. A couple of cameras including the Killer one and a 540 line Sony.
5. EagleEyes - NGHOBBIES.COM
6. OSD Pro FROM HOBBYKING.COM WITH A PANEL METER
7. Patch antenna RANGEVIDEO.COM
8. EasyStar LOCAL HOBBY SHOP
9. Altimeter RANGEVIDEO.COM (PROBABLY)
10. ELogger V3 HOBBYKING.COM
11. SMALL RIGHT ANGLE RCA CABLES FOR PAN/TILT - REDYMADERC.COM
12. EASYSTAR PAN/TILT NGHOBBIES.COM
I HAVE BOUGHT STACKS OF MOTORS, BATTERIES ETC FROM HOBBYKING.COM

PROBABLY THE KILLER CAMERA WOULD BE A GOOD ONE TO START WITH.

I BOUGHT FROM DIFFERENT PLACES BECAUSE SOME DID NOT HAVE THEM IN STOCK AND SOME WERE TOO DEAR FOR THE POSTAGE FOR CERTAIN ITEMS.

mind if i asked where you bought your ee gear from? my LHS is supposed to be getting some in, but it's taking f o r e v e r...
is 900mhz the optimum vid frequency? and 2 Rx's- is that the diversity setup?

I WOULD SAY 900MHZ IS THE WAY TO GO FOR VIDEO. WELL I SAY SOMEONE ROCK UP JUST WITH ONE VIDEO RECEIVER AND HE FLEW PERFECTLY. BUT YOU NEED RUBBER DUCKIE ANTENNA ON THE TX AND RECEIVER. SOME USE DIVERSITY WITHOUT TRACKING AND WORKS QUITE WELL. YOU SEE THE VIDEO FLICKERING IN THE VIDEOS I MENTIONED AS THEY ARE VERY SMALL MICRO PLANES AND CAN ONLY CARRY 200MW TRANSMITTERS. THE 500MW ONES ARE MUCH BETTER. I HAVE GONE FOR THE TRACKING BUT AM WAITING FOR THE EAGLEEYES.

why 2 Tx's? i was just gonna get myself one 500mw...

Looks like I just need a GPS and goggles. I am still using the 36mhz but I got with a plane from ebay a 2.4ghz Futaba Fasst transmitter. It is only a T6EX but have not tried it yet. I'll keep it for the EasyStar.

YOU ONLY NEED THE GOGGLES, CAMERA AND PLANE TRANSMITTER, ONE RECEIVER WITH A BETTER AERIAL, THEN SOMETHING TO RECORD IT ON. WHEN YOU WANT TO GET FANCY AND PUT THE TELEMENTRY IN THE GOGGLES YOU GET THE OSD PRO, ELOGGER V3, ALTIMETER, GPS ETC.

So I am retiring in about two months and it looks like I will have some fun getting it all working.

retiring- you lucky bloke! i've just started a company with a mate of mine, seems forever before i'll be looking at permanent holidays!

SELLING ANYTHING INTERESTING.

I have been lucky and have been watching some blokes every couple of weeks for the last nine months with their FPV gear.

mate, i'd love to come & have a peek sometime!

I AM NEVER SURE WHEN THE BLOKES WILL TURN UP AND AM STILL WAITING FOR SOME OF MY EQUIPMENT. I'LL DO SOME TESTING THIS WEEKEND AND HAVE JUST SCREWED A CAMERA TO THE BOTTOM OF A LARGE GLIDER WING AND WILL PUT THE TX ON THE OTHER WING.

All good fun. (STILL APPLICABLE)
Last edited by Firepower; May 28, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:31 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
I lied - my first transmitter for the planes was a Silvertone single channel with a 9 foot antenna 27mhz. But my first real one over 40 years ago was a Futaba 27mhz four channel which I got converted to 29mhz and cost $420.

Imagine how much that would cost today.

And if you want range - get this. May not be legal here.

FPV Plane FPV (9 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Firepower; May 28, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:08 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
~$690 plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Futaba-10C-2-...item4cefa1df7c

http://hobbycentre.nchctoyworld.com/v2-00/

may need a 36Mhx Tx module and Rx
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Futaba-FP-TK-...o%3D%26ps%3D63

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

they were a lot cheaper a couple of months ago: $439 inc. R6014HS Rx (I should have bought two! ):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=516
Might be worth calling North Coast Hobbies and seeing if they still have that low price.

Simon
I could probably do a lot better than that price - That is a bit steep! Unless they have already gone up because of the dollar.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 08:14 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,675 Posts
Just thought I would share...

Just built another one for a happy customer!!

Another Tricopter Test Flight (1 min 29 sec)
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 08:20 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,821 Posts
Green filter was was an attempt at humour...
My first RC plane back in 1973 was a Trident! I had a Futaba 2ch that cost my Dad $200.00, probably a weeks wages back then.
Amazing how cheap stuff is now.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old May 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Green filter was was an attempt at humour...
My first RC plane back in 1973 was a Trident! I had a Futaba 2ch that cost my Dad $200.00, probably a weeks wages back then.
Amazing how cheap stuff is now.
I thought it was was a joke, that is why I mentioned I saw the question mark after the word green filter?

My Trident was still like new until a couple of weeks ago. The gold metallic burgundy solar film was still in great nick. I just cut the nose off and put a motor on it. Was a good glider. I got a cheap second hand 2m wing span Condor so I have just set up a Sony camera under the wing.

I might get a chance to try it on the weekend but we have a swap meet at the airfield in the morning just a few kilometers away. Maybe something good there.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:25 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,821 Posts
I have had lots of success with one off these
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...ted_glider.htm
They are cheap and really tough. Bonus when you destroy the wing, the Radian wing goes straight on. The fuzz is a tough nylon flexible monocoque so theres heaps of room. I also have its brother the Greensleeve
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod..._ep_glider.htm
I changed to brushless and rubber band wing attachment. I have 2 Rocs and 1 Greensleeve.
Might have trouble finding them but worth a look.
This is ROC 2000 with Radian wing:
Aussie Supercub's slope soaring debut (8 min 12 sec)

This is Greensleeve:
FPV slope soaring at Maslin Beach, South Australia (10 min 38 sec)

Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn