New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Couch
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
Good luck sir. Call me anytime you have a question, you have my number. Note of advise. Build time on the stick, ballast the vehicle a couple of ounces heavy to start then balance towards zero after a few hours of flight. Never fly light. Its a bitch to watch your ship slowly going to the ceiling when something fails. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:53 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
Spent last Friday night and Saturday afternoon flying for Unitus Clothing and Kelme Footwear at a Futsel Challenge meet in Frisco Texas. Futsel is indoor soccur played on either a hockey rink or a basketball court size arena on a hard rubber type mat. Plenty fast and fun to watch. I had never seen it before and had to look Futsel up on the net to see what was going on. The crowd on Friday night was near five thousand people. Pretty much filled the arena up. Very surprised to say the least.

Flew a new white 13 foot envelope with vinyl stick on graphics. Dropped rubber band bracelets on one drop mechanism and using a second style dropper dropped coupons for gift items. Flew pre-game and halftime. Vehicle flew fine, did not hit anything or damage the ship so it must have been a good two days.

ed
Last edited by Ed Couch; Mar 18, 2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by pyronaught
Joined Feb 2009
557 Posts
Do these blimps get damaged very often? I figured that would be kind of rare as long as you could stay away from the ceiling.

I'm working on a 16ft outdoor blimp with Velcro banners, how do you go about figuring out what to charge if flying banners for an outdoor event? Not including the cost of having the banners made, just the per-event flying charge with me supplying the helium. I have no idea what the going rate is for this kind of thing.
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:52 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
Pyro

Never had much luck with velcro on an air ship. I normally use a round 1.5 inch patch with a metal triangle ring sowen onto the patch. These are then glued around the image area of the envelope and the banner attached to the envelope with a strong white line. Velcro would stick long enough to the envelope to get airborne and then start to pull away from the envelope material. Just not a good thing.

Remember this that at this time flying an small commerical airship outside free is not approved by the FAA but put a tether and harness on it and stay under a 150 foot and you are good to go. The height issue is that above 150 foot you have to have a streamer attached every 10 foot or so the length of the line. There are other rules but those are the ones I found that they were checking for. In most cases the client wants you over their site most of the time. My longest flight was almost 4.5 hours but I had to come down long enough to hit the head. I am getting a little old so I have to go more often. Another thing is ballast the vehicle a little light so it will hang from the tether without having to use power to lift it. It works and proved itself many times.

As for cost, contact me via email or here and we will talk about that. Remember it will pay what the market will bear and don't get greedy the first few time out.

edecouch@aol.com

Ship shown is one of two twenty footer I fly outside when requested. One is strickly for Allstate and the other is a same size but without any marking. These ships are over eight years old and have many hours on them. The envelopes were made for me from Above and Beyond. The gondola and all other hardware were build by me although I bought four gondolas from Majortomskie (i.e., Tom) from this site. They have been blown from heavy styrene plastic and are still in use constantly on other envelopes at this time.

ed
Last edited by Ed Couch; Mar 19, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by pyronaught
Joined Feb 2009
557 Posts
My ship has a 1.3 oz nylon outer cover with the Velcro tape sewn into it around the complete perimeter of the banner, so there's no way it's coming off. It would actually be less work and cost to sew the banner directly onto the outer cover, but then switching it to something else later is more work.

It looks like the FAA should be coming out with their new rules soon and put an end to the total ban that currently exists. Here's a good summary video:

FAA PROPOSED NEW RULES - Video and Links (7 min 35 sec)
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
Last edited by pyronaught; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
It has been a little slow on the commerical side of blimping so I thought I would throw out a couple photos of our last gig for Southwest Airlines last Saturday. I handled all the logistics and two of my pilots handled the inflation and three hour flight schedule. They worked a large atrium at the Anatol Hilton in Dallas working the area for the client. Over 4500 folks from Southwest showed up for the event plus several thousand other from other events going on. They flew continously changing out two 3/5000 every hour or so just to be safe. Vehicle came down several times for photo ops for the clients but other than that stayed airborne. Good flight and one of my lady pilots got stick time as well. Fun time for the crew and I made a little bit also.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:32 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
Got the ok this morning for a new 30 foot envelope for Advocare products. The event is three days in early August and we are pushing the timeline a bit at this time. The envelope and fin set will be utilized with our existing gondola and hardware presently being flown for the Dallas Cowboys at the AT & T Stadium. This is the fourth envelope produced for events in this arena. Item B was the final design selected.

The existing Goodyear envelope has also been scheduled for four events this season as well for college playoff football.

Since all the hardware is owned by the Cowboys we are able to move the equipment from one vehicle to the other in less than 30 minutes. A good way to stretch the usage of the equipment. At this time we are scheduled at the AT & T Stadium for approximately twenty dates from August to January this season.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
First Outing of the Season

The new Advocare 30 foot airship made its first outing of the season Friday and then again Saturday morning for the Advocare Success Event held at the AT & T Stadium (Cowboy). Envelope is one of four we fly at the stadium for up to twenty plus events this gaming season. Envelopes and fins manufactured by Mobile Airships of Canada and are a pleasure to fly. For the month of August we had two dates scheduled for Advocare (flown this weekend), a Cowboy on 29th then four more dates in September plus a Goodyear event scheduled on the 5th. Then we get started being busy with the Stars and Mavericks plus teams south of Ft Worth/Dallas.
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 12, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Team (Alien) WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
2,209 Posts
Great to hear you continue to fly, Ed!
Brainstorm is online now Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:10 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,913 Posts
Ship 2 for Albertsons inflated and tested this afternoon without issues. Flew extremely well with larger rudders. Tail rotor works very nice with immediate power both right and left. Put about an hour on the vehicle getting it ready for a pre-season game Saturday at the stadium. Vehicle is 30 foot long and a copy of the Advocare vehicle. Mobile Airships were the builders of the envelope and fin set.

Our Goodyear envelope is also being prepared for a couple of events beginning next month for a college football game on the 5th of September. Four more events are scheduled through the first of year so it may stay up for a couple of months as well.

Working a project at this time for two air vehicles to be flown at an upcoming electronic show along with three large floating balloons to direct the crowd to specific areas in the exhibition halls. Three day event and should be fun as well as profitable.