Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
221 Posts
Discussion
Replacing Inadequate Landing Gears?.

Hi everyone,

I have a Corsair that has outgrown the stock set-up due to added weight. Today I flew twice, and nosed over twice upon landing. I am almost certain this is due to too much flex in the wires serving as gears/struts.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/landing-...sair-s-hbz8206

This is the original, which when snapped into the wing assembly makes them permanent. They will have to be cut out of the wing. This is not a problem, I'm good working with expanded polystyrene(foam).

What I'm not sure of is which type of assembly would be best as the replacement?.

Using common logic, if I have added 40% weight to the plane, would using a wire assembly at a 40% thicker diameter resolve my issue?.

Also, I chased a hawk today

They do not like RC planes messing around in their territory.

TY in advance for any assistance.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by failboat
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Also, I chased a hawk today

Prepare for endless browbeating from some forum types about how you shouldn't do that....
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
Prepare for endless browbeating from some forum types about how you shouldn't do that....
The hawk started it.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
221 Posts
Edited
Last edited by Sunbiz1; Today at 09:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by yorkiepap
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
725 Posts
Hey Sb1,
Here are a few pics of my modified LG on my 1000mm F4U. The stock wire was crappy, not long enough, & not enough forward rake could be obtained. I removed the plastic LG inserts, opened the LG plastic mount area, epoxied in a piece of 1/2" thick laminated wood in each wing. I then cut (2) lengths of .148" steel rod & bent to the proper angles for welding to the steel plates that were screwed to the laminated inserts. I used larger tires for our grass field & bent the wire for a slight outward & forward rake. The wheel axel is flush with the leading edge & grass t/o's & landings are no issue anymore. Maybe this can give you some ideas for your own mods.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Today, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
3,024 Posts
First, the landing gear on your Corsair are not permanently installed. You can remove then my doing the opposite of what you did to install them. Hold the wing and wing plate firmly in one hand. Take the strut in the other hand and rotate it away from the latch. Give it a firm tug and it will release, Rotate it completely free of the plate's catch and then pull the strut's stub out of the plate.

I don't think that you need heavier gauge struts. What you need is to do a rough field modification to your existing landing gear. First, replace the stock wheels with larger diameter but thinner wheels. I use DuBro 2.5" Micro Sport Wheels, but 3" would be even better. Then bend the struts forward so that when you stand directly over the plane and look straight down, the entire wheel is visible in front of the wing's leading edge. Basically, you need to move the wheels about 1 1/2" forward of their current location.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Today, 09:29 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
Hey Sb1,
Here are a few pics of my modified LG on my 1000mm F4U. The stock wire was crappy, not long enough, & not enough forward rake could be obtained. I removed the plastic LG inserts, opened the LG plastic mount area, epoxied in a piece of 1/2" thick laminated wood in each wing. I then cut (2) lengths of .148" steel rod & bent to the proper angles for welding to the steel plates that were screwed to the laminated inserts. I used larger tires for our grass field & bent the wire for a slight outward & forward rake. The wheel axel is flush with the leading edge & grass t/o's & landings are no issue anymore. Maybe this can give you some ideas for your own mods.

Denny
My foot tastes bad with respect to my posting lack of knowledge on this site.

What an awesome modification you performed!, wish I had the welding skills/equipment. Larger wheels and bending wires were tried. And I just noticed another problem. One of the plastic inserts holding the assembly is cracked, couldn't see it until I started moving things around.

How much does your plane weigh?.

And thank you for the ideas, as finding pre-made gear assemblies for this plane is proving to be more of a challenge than I had originally thought.
Old Today, 09:42 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
First, the landing gear on your Corsair are not permanently installed. You can remove then my doing the opposite of what you did to install them. Hold the wing and wing plate firmly in one hand. Take the strut in the other hand and rotate it away from the latch. Give it a firm tug and it will release, Rotate it completely free of the plate's catch and then pull the strut's stub out of the plate.

I don't think that you need heavier gauge struts. What you need is to do a rough field modification to your existing landing gear. First, replace the stock wheels with larger diameter but thinner wheels. I use DuBro 2.5" Micro Sport Wheels, but 3" would be even better. Then bend the struts forward so that when you stand directly over the plane and look straight down, the entire wheel is visible in front of the wing's leading edge. Basically, you need to move the wheels about 1 1/2" forward of their current location.
More good info, thank you.

The stock strut is not long enough to bend that far forward, won't have enough ground clearance for the larger prop I'm using.