SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2015, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
11,008 Posts
Discussion
B-70 Bomber-370 parkflyer

In 1961, Competition Models Inc. produced a kit of the B-70, for free flight, with a Cox .049 for power..36" long, 21 " wingspan....The parts were silk screened onto the
few balsa sheets that were included, and had to be cut out with your choice of tools..

I bought one, and built it in a couple of evening's work..When I got it to make a long, flat ,nose-high glide, I opined we were ready to go FLYING! Fueled it,started it, and launched it into the heavens....never to be seen again.

That old double standard- sad to lose it, elated that it flew so well !

THIS time, this time -I'm adding a radio... This is my first venture into electrics, and park flyers, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm a well-established builder and flier, since 1961, and I've learned a thing or two, I hope.Mostly Giant scale, glow or gasoline.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airshows, and Tradition.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2015, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11,008 Posts
I spent the day cutting parts from new wood (I'm reselling the kit), and covered everything with white Monocote.

I had ordered a Suppo 2208-12 1800kv motor, a 20 Amp ESC, and a 11.1 volt,1300mah(3s) 30c Lipo. (recommended by the guys that frequent the "Power system" forum) Thank you.

I'll start with a 7 x 4 prop, and experiment from there. I'm using Ailerons, and the Elevator on the Canard, just because I think it'll be cool.Although the kit doesn't have a radio 'box', I'll build the dummy "engine compartment" to house the electronics. It'll add some protection, and make a nice cooling tunnel for everything.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jul 05, 2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by jumo004
Joined Apr 2010
410 Posts
Back about that time my dad built a B70 although I'm sure he didn't have this kit (I don't remember the printed wood) but I think he built from plans (M.A.N. ?) and the finished plane looked exactly like yours.

Brought back some good memories.

Very cool !!

Does anybody remember those plans ?
Thanks.
jumo004 is offline Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Jul 06, 2015, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004 View Post
Back about that time my dad built a B70 although I'm sure he didn't have this kit (I don't remember the printed wood) but I think he built from plans (M.A.N. ?) and the finished plane looked exactly like yours.

Brought back some good memories.

Very cool !!

Does anybody remember those plans ?
Thanks.
You are correct...the plans were available, a bit before the model was kitted..I can't verify they were in M.A.N., but there was talk of it somewhere else.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2015, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by jumo004
Joined Apr 2010
410 Posts
Post video if you can. Would be very cool to see this flying.

Thanks !!
jumo004 is offline Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Jul 09, 2015, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11,008 Posts
I got the motor mounted, and the ESC,,,I need to extend the battery wires a little, to get the battery forward enough to balance it.

I may need to slice a slot in the forward fuselage, to mount it near the front.
RCG Plus Member