HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Build Log
SUPERBANDIT..like BVM!! EDF 4,5' now you can made at home!!

Hi guys!
You don't believe, but... I carry enormous innovationes about maxi EDF's jet and what about home's building!!
I studied how to create a strong structure like fiberglass - carbon with combine EPO with poliuirethanic
and double 25 grams glass tissue. YESss.... final result is very very good: strongness nearly fiber-epoxy structure
but half weight!

Now, after that experiment I have created a plan to build one of my most lovely big..biggest jet: BVM SUPERBANDIT!!

But for what reason??
1) Pleasure and enthusiasm in costructing;
2) SAVE.... 80% of money: BVM superbandit cost 2900 and above dollars (only the kit);
I have only spold 280 dollars of structure's parts!!
3) LIGHTNESSS!!

This is my jet..little different from bvm:
Fuselage: 2,10 mt.;
wingspan: 1,72 mt.;
propulsion Haoye fan 4,5' with Turnigy T600 880 kv motor. ONLY.. 8s 5800 mah 30c = 4,6 kg of thrust

According to my plan it will weigh about 5,5 kg ready to fly!!

In this link you can see most of one hundred photo of the constructive process; all the photo will be in my project book,
consist in more than 150 sheet with two hundred photo's for any building's procedure.

Now I start to work at wing, and I hope to complete it within this mounth.
My objective is to realize a plan to give to all!! Who love home's construction in two - three month can create it!!

My photo album here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1055068...52135770289170

Superbandit 115 1 (4 min 52 sec)
Jvan-FAN is offline Find More Posts by Jvan-FAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
My idea is to give you this project.
Now when i will finish it i'll made videos for first fly and an accurate demostration vide about strongness of my structure. Than you can believe that this...is not to bad than fiberglass structure made in great industry.

see you
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:39 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Subscribed,

btw...the hoaye 4.5 inch fan and cut down turbax rotor is yielding 15pds of thrust at 100a easy on 12s..

It would be great to see what that rotor would do without being cut down on a 5inch shroud.

Also, I see you do sectional cutting with formers, I would LOVE to see a video of this with formers that are further away or not as numerous.

Regard
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Subscribed,

btw...the hoaye 4.5 inch fan and cut down turbax rotor is yielding 15pds of thrust at 100a easy on 12s..

It would be great to see what that rotor would do without being cut down on a 5inch shroud.

Also, I see you do sectional cutting with formers, I would LOVE to see a video of this with formers that are further away or not as numerous.

Regard

Thank's a lot, erh7771!!

Well, my project is.. more light than big bvm jet ..same category. 5,6 kg ready to fly is incredible light! So, I dont need 10 or 12s. I try first time only with 8s!

For the most photos, yes you are right, but....understand me...., I'll show all the construction's procedure in my project; about 180 sheet where you can understand how to cut high density foam with warm iron rope.

Now I'm waiting for fiberglass 25 gr. tissue. When it will arrive I'll make fiber with poliurethanic.

Regards
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:03 AM
I believe in Jesus Christ
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
403 Posts
Congrats to the started build, Jvan. I admire your courage to start scratchbuilding such a large model.

Hotwire is the key, I like that technique, here are my hotwire experiments:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1064075

Are you going to build a fibreglass duct for the fan?

What airfoil do you use for the wings?

regards,

Denis
denispeters is offline Find More Posts by denispeters
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:58 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
the airfoil looks to be awefully similar to the Eppler 375.

looks like a very nice build going on. the pics look very good.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:09 AM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Hi my friends.

Well, airfol is exactly SD0606 Very high - speed !!!

I had add about 15 new photos on my building - picasa album. Thrust duct it was made from light and smooth plastic, but....but... not totally smooth inside!

Aspiration's double ducting it was made from 3mm depron but with 25 grams fiberglass tissue on POLIURETHANIC glue!

Yes, with saratoga's poliurethanic the result is unbelievebal strong and light.

;-)

I will promise to all that if my projet will make good results then I will make a very accurate hundred's pages project.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:36 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan-FAN View Post
propulsion Haoye fan 4,5' with Turnigy T600 880 kv motor. ONLY.. 8s 5800 mah 30c = 4,6 kg of thrust
Nice project, one thing though. Have you measured that thrust with 8S or how you've come up with that figure?

I have 4,5" Haoye stock fan perfectly balanced and T600 880kv motor and I got 3kg+ of thrust from that combo with 8S 4000mah 30C lipos.

And thru my F-22's fiberglass ducting I got staticthrust pushing against digital scale 2500+ grams thru the ducts when plane was sitting on its wheels.

This was with 8S

edit : I went thru your building pics and noticed that you had build a thrust measuring stand, I also noticed that you've made round inlet for the fan, but 4.6kg still, thats a lot *shocked*
kanji is offline Find More Posts by kanji
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji View Post
Nice project, one thing though. Have you measured that thrust with 8S or how you've come up with that figure?

I have 4,5" Haoye stock fan perfectly balanced and T600 880kv motor and I got 3kg+ of thrust from that combo with 8S 4000mah 30C lipos.

And thru my F-22's fiberglass ducting I got staticthrust pushing against digital scale 2500+ grams thru the ducts when plane was sitting on its wheels.

This was with 8S

edit : I went thru your building pics and noticed that you had build a thrust measuring stand, I also noticed that you've made round inlet for the fan, but 4.6kg still, thats a lot *shocked*
Ah ah ah... dear Kanji, don't worry, your's result was right. The fact is only one: INTAKE LIP!!!!!!!

Intake lip in a EDF increase thrust over than 30%. If you see another time my building photo album you can realize, in the first ten photos, that I had made it accurately with strong foam first and nextly I had fiberglassed it always with poliurethanic. Believe me: 4,6 kg of thrust, with 94 ampère, and about 2600 watts.

YOU MUST....MUST... have in your edf jet, and ALWAYS! In a jet who have
propulsor inside with aspiration duct in front, it must have intake lip's diameter, I believe in this so much.
Let's try, my man.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
Finland
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
I was about to write long reply but I won't. My ducting is clean with intake duct exact same diameter as fan shroud so there is no gap on step between duct and fan, airflow shouldn't have any obstacles.

There is a good Haoye 4,5" T600 thread here at RCG and there this set up is measured over and over again and there people have got around 3kg without intake lip and 3.6kg with lip on 8S setup.

I take your word on it, maybe its those 5000mah lipos that give that extra punch.

With my 4000mah 30C batteries there is no way that my fan and motor combo will produce 4600g of thrust no matter what kinda collar I build for it.
kanji is offline Find More Posts by kanji
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
I was about to write long reply but I won't. My ducting is clean with intake duct exact same diameter as fan shroud so there is no gap on step between duct and fan, airflow shouldn't have any obstacles.

There is a good Haoye 4,5" T600 thread here at RCG and there this set up is measured over and over again and there people have got around 3kg without intake lip and 3.6kg with lip on 8S setup.

I take your word on it, maybe its those 5000mah lipos that give that extra punch.

With my 4000mah 30C batteries there is no way that my fan and motor combo will produce 4600g of thrust no matter what kinda collar I build for it.
Well... I don't have idea... I use 5800 mah 8s 30c zippy - flightmax battery.
However..I promise you that when I will finish mi jet i'll make a video of thrust
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:27 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Jvan, don't worry about your exhaust duct not being smooth. air tends to stick to smooth surfaces and decrease efficiency. a good analogy would be a golf ball. smooth golf balls don't fly as far as dimpled golf balls. this is why I leave the mold flashing (flowers) on the inside ducting of my foamies.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
Jvan, don't worry about your exhaust duct not being smooth. air tends to stick to smooth surfaces and decrease efficiency. a good analogy would be a golf ball. smooth golf balls don't fly as far as dimpled golf balls. this is why I leave the mold flashing (flowers) on the inside ducting of my foamies.

Exactly. I had use a little sand paper to give antismooth in the inside part of my exhaust duct. You can see in the end of my building photo album, here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1055068...77608206743698
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts
Quote:

Look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOrbuJKrhlU
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:22 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
635 Posts
Just a little inspiration for your project...

Since it looks like a BVM jet hopefully it will fly similar to this one.
BVM Electra Maiden (5 min 9 sec)

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards