HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:44 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Discussion
808 key chain camera help

Ok lets pretend i'm a dumb fark for a second or 3, i've got one of the these key chain cam do hickeys, it works easily and takes reasonably good res pics considering price and size, however i have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to changing the date.

it says

Quote:
For example, to set the date time to May 13 2009 at 3:10pm:
Connect the USB cable. Create a time.txt file in the flash root with one line inside in this format:

2009.05.13 15:10:00

Disconnect the USB. The camera will read the file, change the camera date time, and delete the file
What the heck does that mean???
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 08:03 PM
72" of flying, flying, flying
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,110 Posts
Mine comes up as J: drive, so I have to create a text file in J: called time.txt and in that file I put 2010.03.03 12:01:00

I've attached the file for you to edit and copy onto the correct Drive.
Aussie_Toyman is online now Find More Posts by Aussie_Toyman
Old Mar 02, 2010, 08:31 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Ok, lets not pretend i'm dumb, just say i realy am for a while.

Mine comes up as G drive so, in G: i've now got a file called "time" which is a 'text document" (it sits bellow a folder called DCIM)

i've pluged the camera in, then unpluged and taken video, then pluged in.

but the date hasn't changed

what am i missing?
Old Mar 02, 2010, 10:22 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
personally, i hate the date, and so i 'letterbox' all my videos i take with it, and if i really want, i add a date in the editing program
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:05 PM
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
878 Posts
Does the file disappear? It should disappear if it reads it properly (takes the contents of the file then deletes it).

I followed the method described on chucklohr.com/808, and it says the file should be "tag.txt" not "time.txt". Contents should be as follows, or numerous variations thereof:

[date]
2010/02/03
14:05:00

Time it roughly so you have enoug time to disconnect and start the camera, as this is when it grabs the info from the file. So say make the time 2mins in the future, and power on the cam when that time is reached.

This method worked on mine, and the time should stay current unless the battery completely dies.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:36 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Ok thanks guys, it worked

i copied the file from toyman, renamed it to tag.txt and used the time/date format from RS.

Now i can velcro it to my new Lama V4 for it's maiden flight, probably get a lot of crashing action as i've never flown helis before

reading at chucklohr.com/808 it seems there are 4 versions of the camera all with slightly diferent time/dat format requirements.

thanks guys

AJ, how do you get rid of the time/date altogether??
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:17 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy View Post

AJ, how do you get rid of the time/date altogether??
If someone knows the answer to this then PLEASE let us know.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:22 AM
Give it the berries!!
Central Coast
Joined Jun 2008
45 Posts
I don't think it can be totally removed...which concerned me because I didnt want it on there because I want to mix it with footage from my proper video camera for a project I'm doing.

Anyway, I stumbled on a way to sort it out, only catch is you'll need some sort of half decent video editing software. I use sony vegas.
The resolution the little camera shoots in is 720x480, which is NTSC DV.
When I change it to PAL widescreen DV (720x576), it quite nicely crops a bit off the top and bottom, completely removing the date. Yes, you do lose a little bit of your field of view, but its not much and I reckon its well worth it. Hope that helps
CBR954 is offline Find More Posts by CBR954
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:35 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,587 Posts
I can`t help but think if Brendon Fevola had one of these cameras Lara Bingle wouldn`t have covered up her good parts .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:40 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
its called "Letterboxing" depending on what editing program you have, i personally have a macbook, and i am able to remove the date by putting a black strip over the whole framee.. you lose a little video, but it looks way betta imo, cause its widescreen! and especially when your posting on youtube, it gets rid of those annoying black bars on the sides...
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:14 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
878 Posts
If you are after a great FREE video editor, grab VirtualDub, it's what I use for all general editing / re-encoding. The vids are 720x480 (if it's a #3 keychain, which 99% of the current ones on ebay are), but actual res is 640x480, as the aspect's stretched.
There's a few methods for blurring away the date, in some situations it's virtually unnoticeable, others definitely noticeable, but at least you get the full frame of video if required rather than cropping. Cropping to a widescreen aspect has it's appeal though.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:35 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,353 Posts
Try this little VirtualDub filter on this page (and check out the awesome water and pyro rockets!)

Never used it so can't comment, just came across it by accident.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Last edited by flyonline; Sep 09, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:46 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Had a play on the weekend with the camera and for the price and size most impressed

this is a great little thing if weight and cost are a consideration.

i got mine from a fellow RCU member but they are on special HERE with an 8 gig card
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
I found this thread and got the time stamp set .. BTW I got mine from ebay for 11 dollars shipped from China (of course it took 3 weeks to get it but...). and a 2gb micro SD card I picked up on sale at office Max for 9.95... the seller was flashman... something something..
Thanks for the tag.txt info .. worked great !
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:12 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
878 Posts
US, correct? Mine cost Aus$13 shipped, so about that, but got it in about a week, and got a 2gig card sent from Melbourne for about Aus$8.50, arrived within the week.

Oh yeah, a note for everyone using these things on a plane / heli; TAPE THE CARD IN!! Might seem very secure, but I broke a link on my initial test flight and crashed, went to get the data off the camera later and found after much frustrated plugging and unplugging that the bloody card had been jolted out, lost somewhere on a footy field never to be found again.

Uploaded some hat-cam footage in the King2 thread.