SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Jul 2004
1,194 Posts
Discussion
Just got a s/h honey bee king 2

Hi all,

I used to have a sabre FP helicopter and yesterday bought a s/h honey bee king 2. It has the brushless upgrade motor.

I have fully charged the lipo battery and powered the heli up. I opened the throttle steadily to let momentum build up. But on full power, the rotor head speed is very slow and doesnt produce any lift, the brushless is spinning like crazy!!!

Now, am I correct in saying that the main gear and rotor head are not directly fixed as this acts as a autogyro? But when I power the motor up, it seems like the rotors are only spinning by very little friction.

If I hold the rotor head, I can rotate the main gear either way with no effect. But if I rotate the main gear both ways, one way it rotates the head and the other way it doesnt. But this as I understand is correct.

So is it possible that the one way bearing is worn out? its only spose to have done a few flights as the matey stopped flying it as he is old and struggled with the twitchyness.

The tail rotor spins at the correct speed and controls the left/right as I would expect.

Then my next question, only one main blade changes pitch, surely both should or they would be loaded different?

Please excuse my dumbness towards helis and FP's are so much easier than CP's and im still learning!

Thanks all
Rodders is offline Find More Posts by Rodders
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 02:49 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The main gear is directly attached to the mainshaft and head and only disengages for auto-rotation. You need to disassemble the whole thing and set it up properly. Your pitch is off, you main gear is loose, you may have a bad one-way bearing, and who knows what else. Unless you got this heli from a pro shop, you can't assume anything is correct.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
I bet your motor is spinning backwards. Reverse your leads or the pinion is loose on the motor.
Last but not leasest your pinion might not be meshing with the main gear.
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old May 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Got one sitting here. This one works. If you hold the head, the maingear will turn one direction but NOT the other. If it turns both ways, the sprag clutch is bust. Can't describe how to replace that, but it can be done.

Yes indeed, both blades should change pitch equally. Bear in mind that if the flybar is full-tilt one direction, the pitches will be substantially different, but both will still change. Look again holding flybar level. If only one blade moves, Houston you have a problem.

A quick inspection of the one that works vs. the one that doesn't should reveal what's different/missing/broken. Spot of a bother reassembling a CP head with no documentation, no good one to compare it to. But you've got one side that works, make the other side look like the good one.

From there, the LHS guy explained it to me like this: Level everything from the bottom up. Servo horns, linkages to level swash, linkages to level flybar frame and mixer arms, linkages to equalize pitch. Presto! Not that I've done it yet. I suspect I wouldn't be saying the P word that quickly. But he just eyeballed it, never having seen it before or knowing whether it would fly or not, then took off in about a 10x10 space.

Somebody link to the CP setup video. I know it's around here someplace but can't put my finger on it right now.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 27, 2009, 03:49 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Jul 2004
1,194 Posts
Hi,

I have been in the shed playing around. If I hold the flybar level, both blades increase pitch, if I dont hold the flybar, one blades pitches and the flybar lifts. Thats that one sorted!!!

As for the rotation, I stripped the head down and found that the main M2 bolt had sheared, but both sides where still there, so it didnt look broken, lol. I have replaced this with a new bolt and it spins up fine!!

Ran her up and she spins very steady, so the tracking is fine, thats the correct term?

Had a little hover around, as im no expert, and its much better than the sabre I had!! im pretty pleased.

Only thing it kept doing was the nose kept going left, I put in max right trim, but made no difference. So I moved the actual servo down the boom to compensate and now seems ok

Hope I have done everything ok, lol?!?!!
Old May 27, 2009, 07:56 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Musta had mate. Flies = right. Good find on the bolt.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:38 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined Jul 2004
1,194 Posts
Been flying this morning, i was getting rubbish flight times out of the pack that came with it, so I went and bought a 1000mah tornado 3s lipo.

Just as bad, flight times (hovering) of 3-4 mins. Is that right?!?!? I know hovering uses a lot of power, but I thought it would have done more?
Old May 28, 2009, 01:55 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
New batts don't supply their full potential on the first couple charge cycles. Not saying that's all that's happening, but it's one thing.

Generically--I don't own a K2--all these things come with next to no headroom. So if any element goes bad, performance suffers mightily. Could be excess friction in any rotating part. Could be excess belt tension. Could be headspeed vs. lift curve.

There are K2 experts here, not which I'm, so I otta shut up and wait for them to register.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:54 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
it should go like 6-7 minutes unless its geared high, alot of weight is piled on or somthing is dragging from gear mesh too tight, belt too tight, bearing froze, ect .. if its the stock motor that would be a problem to, brushless is about mandatory..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old May 28, 2009, 04:04 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined Jul 2004
1,194 Posts
I have dropped the pitch of the blades and have a higher head speed now. Seems to have increased the flight times to 5-6 mins. Guess its running more efficiently now?

Still will look at getting higher mah batteries