HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Discussion
9 VOLT rechargeable battery question....

I just purchased some 9volt- nimh 250 mah rechargeable batteries. I have not put a charge on these yet and do not plan to use them right away, they are for emergency use. What is the best way to store them and ensure the longest life and how long can I expect the batteries to stay good for, unused? Should I put a full charge on them 1st then store them away in a cool dark place, like my basement or store them uncharged as they came ? Also, does anyone know what the mah rating is on a normal 9 volt non-rehcargeble battery..like duracell or eveready ?
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
According to Energizer thier 9V is 565 mAh

http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx

IMO you would be better of using non rechargables for emergency.

I would store them charged in a refrigerator in a sealed zip lock bag. Let the battery come to room temperature before opening the
bag.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
for emergency, well yes i whould also recommend using some brand alkaline,
they are expensive, but many years of sheld life, and realiability.
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Thnaks Charles...I also see they are now making lipo rechargeable 9VOLTS..with a 550 mah rating..of course they need a special charger..
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
yes, I agree..and I do have normal 9 volts to for emergencys...along with solar/hand crank radios/lights..etc..
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
For emergencies I have many deep cycle 12 volt batteries that range from 4Ah to 88 Ah an invverter (12 VDC to 120AC) a buch of AA high capacity NiMH cells and ofcourse a buch of 12VDC powered chargers to charge the AAs and my many Liolys. I have modified one of my Ham Radio Dual Band HTs to use a 3S LiPoly.
The 12 volt deep cycles (large ones) can be charged wth my truck or SUV and then there is always my 7000 Waty cont. / 12,250 watt surge generator that will run my whole house if I use a little common sense and try to run everything at the same time..

I am curious as to why a 9V is needed for emergency.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Well I didnt say they were " needed" ..I just wanted to have a few around as backup.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
Japan, Mie Prefecture, Ise
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
I think they would be good for a small radio and what not. I also think that alkalines are the way to go, even after 4 years of storage at 70 degrees, they'll have 85% of their capacity left. Nicads & Nimhs would self discharge in months unless they were left on a trickle charger. Haven't done any research on lithium though. Good luck!

http://www.steatite.co.uk/batteries/...y_alkaline.htm
sfsjkid is offline Find More Posts by sfsjkid
Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:49 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I just went thru the same thing and finally decided on some 1200 lithium primary batts for smoke alarms, scales, dvms, ect. I was getting tired of rechargeing nimh batts.

Then I wnt and doubled order by mistake, doh.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:35 PM
AMA 951 since 1958
USA, FL, Newberry
Joined Nov 2000
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
I just purchased some 9volt- nimh 250 mah rechargeable batteries. I have not put a charge on these yet and do not plan to use them right away, they are for emergency use. What is the best way to store them and ensure the longest life and how long can I expect the batteries to stay good for, unused? Should I put a full charge on them 1st then store them away in a cool dark place, like my basement or store them uncharged as they came ? Also, does anyone know what the mah rating is on a normal 9 volt non-rehcargeble battery..like duracell or eveready ?
Sounds like someone may be working marketing magic on you.

1) rechargable 9 volts are more likely to be 7.2 volts.
2) The mAh rating of Energizer rechargable Ni-Mh "9v" is 175 mAh.

Understand that the charge retention of Ni-Mh is rather poor, you would be lucky to have much charge left after 3 or 4 months.
Red Scholefield is offline Find More Posts by Red Scholefield
Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:54 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
My old generic ones are 7 cells at 170 mah. The newer ones are supposed to be 250 mah.

The primary lithium cells I bought are supposed to be 5 -10 years and 1200 mah. I am thinking of sacrificing one for a test since I got twice as many as I wanted.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
My apologies for this being slightly off topic, but considering the limitations of the 9V battery format in both disposable and rechargeable forms (expensive, low capacity, etc.), I have given up on it and only use electronics that run on a better format, particularly AAs. You can even get smoke detectors that run on AAs now, as well as virtually anything else.

But good luck with your 9V batteries.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:51 AM
Canton, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
400mAh Lithium Ion / 250mAh NiMH 9 Volt batteries

I just ordered some 9 volt 400mAh lithium Ion batteries and one 250mAh NiMH battery to try for my wireless mikes at our church. I will let you guys know what I find out with them. I like the fact that the lithiums can be recharged in full in ~ 1 hour. The others require an overnight charge. I ordered them from here: http://www.batteryspace.com/

One thing to note right away is that the NiMH batteries are bigger in size than alkalines and the lithiums are even bigger. It's a matter of .5 to 2 mm, but in some cases that is enough to not make it fit in what you want to power with them.

Your original question was on using rechargeables for emergency purposes. I would do what some of the other guys recommended and use alkalines or the primary lithiums (1200mAh) for this purpose. The NiMhs need to be used right away to get the maximum capacity out of them.
Frankenator is offline Find More Posts by Frankenator