SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:33 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
399 Posts
Leroy, thanks for your inputs. When you say point of use filter, that's an oil filter correct?

My shop compressed air system is a 1 hp motor and a 5 gallon tank. I don't even know what a plumed air system is. I see you are certified in air systems up to 500 hp. Wow, didn't know they made them that big.
Harri3 is offline Find More Posts by Harri3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
An example of a plumbed system is in the link that I posted and in a compact way in my photos.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:20 AM
Joined Feb 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri3 View Post
I see you are certified in air systems up to 500 hp. Wow, didn't know they made them that big.
We have a 6000HP air compressor at work , but it is not exactly a workshop compressor

Colin
Andy01 is online now Find More Posts by Andy01
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:42 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri3 View Post
Leroy, thanks for your inputs. When you say point of use filter, that's an oil filter correct?

My shop compressed air system is a 1 hp motor and a 5 gallon tank. I don't even know what a plumed air system is. I see you are certified in air systems up to 500 hp. Wow, didn't know they made them that big.
Harry's picture is a good example of a plumed system and it looks like he did a nice job. If your compressor is a nonlube type you won't need a oil filter but you should have a small filter right after the regulator and a desiccant in line filter on the end of your hose, some attach right on the gun but I like those that are just behind the coupler. They come appart and the silica can be replaced when it turnes blue indicating it has moisture in it.

And yes, that is a big compressor, some are two stories high and require a crane to remove the head. Rotary Screw compressors are replaceing those huge piston compressors and they don't need storage air tanks Anyway every one should have some kind of compressor and they don't have to cost alot of money. They also can serve several purposes.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:31 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Thanks for the nice comment Leroy Just curious, what is a 6000hp compressor used for? That must be a monster.

Harry
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:43 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Thanks for the nice comment Leroy Just curious, what is a 6000hp compressor used for? That must be a monster.

Harry
Harry they are monsters and they were designed for heavy industry like car mfg,s. When you consider the whole plant is ran off of air then it's easy to see why they are needed. Timber mills, food processing, caneries, steel mills and an endless list that use large amounts of air in their operations. Ingersol Rand is a world wide American company supplying air around the world and build the largest compressors made.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:50 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Grew up in Detroit and have been through many plants, never gave it much thought how all the machinery was powered. Makes sense. And yes, everyone should have a compressor!

Harry
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post

Harry
Harry

It is one of two large compressors to provide air in a factory making ammonia. One is 6000HP steam turbine powered (12 000rpm at the compressor) and the other is 3000HP electric motor powered (22 000rpm at the compressor).

Not certain, but I think it is something like 1 500 000 cfm. A fair bit of air

We also have a gas compressor driven by a 20 000HP Pratt & Whittney jet engine (12 5000rpm at the compressor) - 2500psi output.

Colin
Andy01 is online now Find More Posts by Andy01
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Not certain, but I think it is something like 1 500 000 cfm. A fair bit of air
Just think how big a paint gun that would run It might take both hands to hold it.

That is some serious capacity. I never thought about a large factory like you mentioned where EVERYTHING runs on air.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497