SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:23 AM
Silly n00b
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2011
722 Posts
Just got my 10th or so shipment from ValueHobby. I remain pleased with their products and support.
TuMadre is online now Find More Posts by TuMadre
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:54 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
I have placed at least 3 orders with them over last 2 years - never a problem
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
Pro Bro Gus
Park City, Utah
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts
I have placed a bunch of orders with him and never had a problem.

Alex's service is excellent!
gusgon is offline Find More Posts by gusgon
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:44 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,603 Posts
One more satisfied VH customer. Great prices and lightning fast shipping. Shipping from the central US I get my stuff super quick.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Apr 03, 2013, 04:54 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
I was a skeptic about Value Hobby too, I placed a small order and I had my goodies in about a week. The only thing I don't like is their old photos in their item descriptions on some of their products. As most businesses go, Items must be in new/unused condition to be eligible for return. Sometimes we make purchases and don't give credit for a smooth transaction so here's a long overdue, Thanks Value Hobby!.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Just received the FrSky Taranis with Receiver after catching it in stock on February 15. UPS ground shipping was only $3.99 (their flat-rate shipping charge!) and I received the complete package, with Aluminum case, today -- exactly 8 days after placing the order.

This was my 5th order - everything has been received as described with excellent service.
zone7 is offline Find More Posts by zone7
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:34 PM
FGN4048
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
I can see where a lot of people are high on VH since their prices are good and they ship fast!
But my experience has shown that if you get a bad product,
and try to contact them it's a whole different ballgame!
fgn4048 is offline Find More Posts by fgn4048
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:00 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
bought the Horten Bv-38 on a whim last week...Sat, showed up yesterday. Good price, real interesting plane, and shipped really quick. Another good transaction.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:14 AM
King NorthCarolina
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
never a problem after 10+ orders fast shipping good products
tillthefourth is offline Find More Posts by tillthefourth
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:07 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Hello All!

Was hoping my initial post would be something exciting & positive, like a shiny new aircraft build to report, as I've only recently returned to RC after visiting my good friend st_dysan (THANKS Case!) back in November.

My previous flying model A/C experience goes back to when I was a kid ... free-flight, Cox control-line, etc. I entered RC 2.5 decades ago and took it as far as 2&3-CH gliders and a basic 40-size 4-CH glow trainer. My RC re-entry plan was to pick up where I left off. I figured a semi-sport/scale large-ish Cub would do the trick, but add modern LiPO electric power to the mix. I loaded GP's RF7 sim on my PC on st_dysan's advice and practiced until confident to forge ahead with the plan.

Long story short, searched for a 1/6-sized ARF Cub and ordered the Value Hobby 40-size J-3 Cub ARF. On inspection of the kit contents upon arrival, I noticed something rattling and loose inside the fuselage. When I opened the plastic bag to inspect the fuselage and determine what was loose, I found a piece of lite-ply in the bag. When I looked into the fuselage to find where the piece had come from, I discovered 2 lite-ply main aft fuselage formers crushed/broken.

The formers are broken in several places and inaccessible to repair without uncovering and disassembly of the fuse. I didn't buy an ARF kit to then have to perform damage surgery. I'll probably have enough of that to deal with after a few flights

I tried to contact VH several times daily for a week by phone and never got thru, only the message that due to heavy call volume, missed calls would not be returned. So I started the RMA Exchange/Return process with an attached photo of the broken formers. Here are the messages exchanged to date:

--------------

3/13/14 @ 1249

Dear Value Hobby,

I have attempted to contact you by phone to discuss my recent purchase but cannot get through. Therefore, I am submitting this Return/Exchange request.

I received the J3 Cub 40 ARF kit from you on 2/27/14. On inspection of the kit contents, I noticed something rattling and loose inside the plastic bag wrapped fuselage. When I opened the plastic bag to inspect the fuselage and determine what was loose, a small piece of plywood was found. When I looked into the fuselage to find where the plywood piece had come from, I saw that 2 of the plywood main aft fuselage formers are crushed/broken.

I would like to either exchange the fuselage or exchange the entire kit, whichever you prefer. No assembly of the kit was started due to the damaged fuselage. How shall we proceed?

Thank you

--------------

3/13/14 @ 1948

Customer Service: Hello, is it possible you can repair it? we can send partial refund for this

--------------

3/14/14 @ 1324

Thank you for the prompt reply to my RMA Request.

I received a defective/damaged fuselage and cannot repair the fuselage. So there are two acceptable options:

OPTION 1: I would like to exchange the defective/damaged fuselage.

OPTION 2: I will accept a refund of $40.00, the cost of a replacement fuselage.

Which option do you choose?

Thank you

--------------

3/17/14 @ 1926

Customer Service: This kind of issue probably would not affect flying, and $40 refund is extremely excessive considering the whole plane cost only $85.

--------------

….

Value Hobby has J-3 kit replacement parts in stock. The cost of a replacement fuse is $40.00 + $13.99 shipping. The shipping would be on me, and that's fine. If VH will exchange the fuse as originally requested, I'll pay the return shipping for the defective fuse, which again is OK. Either way I'll be out-of-pocket additional $$$, but that's the way returns go for many online e-tailers.

It seems VH is attempting to stick me with the damaged fuse, disallow/ignore an exchange, and only partially compensate me. I didn't set the price of the replacement fuse at $40, VH did. If VH considers the replacement fuse price "extremely excessive", perhaps they should lower it. I don't think arguing my return/exchange request with VH will produce a fair outcome.

It's probably time to refer my claim to PP dispute resolution. Agreed?

Sorry for the long first post...
Lou
58FlyingV is offline Find More Posts by 58FlyingV
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Lou,

"Customer Service: This kind of issue probably would not affect flying, and $40 refund is extremely excessive considering the whole plane cost only $85."

Ya know, they're probably right, it wouldn't affect the flying, but you can be damn sure it would affect the crash!!

Stick to your guns, I think your reply is more than reasonable. I would ask them, in light of their rather flippant responses that you just want to return it for a refund and you can move on and let the rest of this small, tight knit community know how they dealt with a defective product they sold.

Welcome back!!

Case
st_dysan is offline Find More Posts by st_dysan
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Hey Case, thanks for the welcome!

"...but you can be damn sure it would affect the crash!!"

Exactly! Unrepaired, even the first hard 3-point landing will place a load directly at the damage site and likely buckle the fuse.

At this point, returning the entire kit for a refund as you suggest is probably warranted given their apparent lack of support. I imagine VH will attempt to charge a 15% restocking fee and place the kit back in stock, which is possibly how I received a defective kit in the first place.

Lou
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
UPDATE: After opening the PayPal dispute, it looks like one last shot across the bow is what it took to get some action after seeking resolution for 2.5 weeks. (began daily calls 3/3)

--------------

3/19/14 @ 1519

If you will not refund the $40.00 cost of a replacement fuselage, then please replace the defective fuselage as requested.

Your Return Policy clearly states: “If you are returning a DEFECTIVE item, please provide a detailed description of the product defect. If you have a product that is defective right out of the box, it can usually be repaired or replaced at no charge.”

I have already provided the defect description and photo of the defective fuselage. I expect the defective item return policy to be honored and an exchange of the defective fuselage as requested. If not, I will return the entire kit and pursue complete order reimbursement through the PayPal transaction dispute resolution process.

Please inform me of your decision at your earliest convenience.

Thank you

--------------

….

I received a $40.00 PayPal refund this morning.

So I’m stuck with the fuse, but have the option of ordering a replacement with the refund. But after this experience, I’ve got reservations. Another hassle with VH isn't really how I want to return to the hobby

My recommendation to anyone doing business with VH is to proceed carefully and use PayPal only. If you have a problem with your order, don’t waste time using the VH online RMA process. There’s no real customer service there. Go directly to PayPal and use their Resolution Center.

But as they say, “When the world hands you lemons, make lemonade!” …maybe I should just dive into this thing, take it apart, repair it, and transform it into a Super Cub… hmmmm..