HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:44 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
If you have flown planes before you would probably be ok flying the Lil Ripper. I would just fly it in low rates first. It is a very stable plane in low rates, so you might be ok like that.
Hope that helps.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
Unscheduled Landing Expert...
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON View Post
If you have flown planes before you would probably be ok flying the Lil Ripper. I would just fly it in low rates first. It is a very stable plane in low rates, so you might be ok like that.
Hope that helps.
Thanks! Would you advise to use the same prop and motor also?
Fly_Bye is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Bye
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Yes, same prop and motor.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:44 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Here is my latest plane . thanks to your wonderful design once again 3DMON !!

I have enjoyed the simplicity of that build as it was with the speedy .
There couldn't be less parts to put together and still the plane looks great .
I think I copied quite a lot from your own paint job that I found on an other thread .

I am using the 1500 blue wonder with a cheapo 18A ESC and a 800 mah -3S- turnigy . AUW is about 11.6 oz .

Some static datas on that motor :

SF 8x6 : 16.2A -169W . A bit overkill for the batteries and the motor that is given for 9.5A only !! .

SF Graupner 7.5x4 : 11.4A - 122 W . I think I will stick with that prop to start . Maybe a 8x4.3 would be the best but I don't have any.

I don't know how you can use a 9x4.7 even with the 1300 kV motor.
You should pull over 16 A from your batteries and your motor is only rated for 9 A .

By the way , my 3 Speedies are still among my favorites planes . I am really having a blast with them .

This Ripper may not be as fast
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Here is my latest plane . thanks to your wonderful design once again 3DMON !!

I have enjoyed the simplicity of that build as it was with the speedy .
There couldn't be less parts to put together and still the plane looks great .
I think I copied quite a lot from your own paint job that I found on an other thread .

I am using the 1500 blue wonder with a cheapo 18A ESC and a 800 mah -3S- turnigy . AUW is about 11.6 oz .

Some static datas on that motor :

SF 8x6 : 16.2A -169W . A bit overkill for the batteries and the motor that is given for 9.5A only !! .

SF Graupner 7.5x4 : 11.4A - 122 W . I think I will stick with that prop to start . Maybe a 8x4.3 would be the best but I don't have any.

I don't know how you can use a 9x4.7 even with the 1300 kV motor.
You should pull over 16 A from your batteries and your motor is only rated for 9 A .

By the way , my 3 Speedies are still among my favorites planes . I am really having a blast with them .

This Ripper may not be as fast
I love it man!
The paint scheme is just like my original prototype version.
Have you flown it yet?

As far as the 9x4.7 prop on the 1300kv version. That is the standard prop that a lot of people use on it. I can't remember how many amps it pulls but I don't fly at full throttle anyway. I mainly fly it at half throttle for 3D type maneuvers.
Glad to hear your still enjoying the Speedy too.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
I found a pic of the prototype.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Waiting for the weather to get better for the maiden . Can't wait !!

Half throttle is then the key to keep your motor happy . I won't try a 9x4.7 on the 1500 kV motor . I got used to fly at WOT with the Speedy . I bet I need to learn a new flying technic.
This will be my first aerobatic plane . Should be fun !!!

Haven't yet flown it but I can tell you that this is the best looking aerobatic scratchbuilt plane on RCgroups and probably on the whole net .
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:46 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Haven't yet flown it but I can tell you that this is the best looking aerobatic scratchbuilt plane on RCgroups and probably on the whole net .
I wouldn't go that far....Your too kind. Thanks for the great comments though.

I hope your maiden flight goes well.

Shaun
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Unscheduled Landing Expert...
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
110 Posts
Well I want to second that, at least it's the best looking aerobatic scratchbuilt plane that is unbelievable easy to build.
Fly_Bye is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Bye
Last edited by Fly_Bye; Sep 29, 2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Finally wind stopped just before it came too dark and I got to fly it .

The plane flys really nicely ,smoothly and looks so good in the air ; Only problem was that I didn't know how to make all thoses crazy aerobatics I can see in your videos ;
I could only make some crazy rolls and try to hoover the plane quite high from the ground.

I need to look for some tutorials before I can exploit the abilities of that plane . Your Speedies weren't very good to teach me that crazy new way of flying.
CG was right on the spar and it could be better like advised a bit backward .

I really enjoyed the way it flies ,so let's put both thumb up for your wonderful design and got to go flying again as soon as possible !!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:50 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Awesome Jpette!
I'm glad to hear your maiden went well.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:58 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
I finally got to fly extensively that really nice plane .
For sure it doesn't stall easily no matter how much rudder one can add.
I found out that aerobatics aren't so easy or it could be that the plane isn't trimmed well .
For exemple I can't hoover more than 2 secondes and the plane flips backwards . Could it be that there is too much up thrust or should I push on the down elevator to prevent the flip ?
Old Oct 01, 2010, 05:29 AM
Joined Aug 2008
38 Posts
Hi! thanks much for the plan, if I may comment a little here.

I've tried the original full fuse version after being attracted by the beautiful plane outline. The flights were fine with my cg dailed in & have to say that it tracks well & there's no knife coupling issue at all.

However, there's noticeably unusual rolling harrier especially if you're directing it to a circle. It just like to stay in straight line while rolling.

As such, I've made it a profile type & what I can say is, it's performing really well. The elevator is great & tracks superbly that I can tell from it's perfect inverted loop.

For 3dmon, would you be considering adding a profile plan with shocks for the rest to try out? I've tested it & it really could be perfect.

Sharing of mine video here. Thanks once again - gary
Lil Reaper (1 min 16 sec)
garytcl is offline Find More Posts by garytcl
Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:46 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Jpette
Learning to hover takes practice. One way to think of it is it is like balancing a marble on a piece of glass. You should not have any upthrust in the plane. If anything you may want to add just a little bit of down thrust. If it flips over backwards then yes, correct it with elevator.

garytcl
Hi Gary,
Great flying! Thanks for sharing your vid. I'm not sure why you were having issues trying to get the full fuse version to do rolling harrier circles. That is the one thing is does best for me. Hmmm.
I originally designed the Lil' Ripper as a profile. It flew great as a profile but I was wanting a full fuse at the time and is why I came up with this one.
I think I will make the profile Lil' Ripper available soon for free as well, it's just right now I'm more focused on getting my Yak54 profile kits ready for sale.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2008
38 Posts
3dmon,

Probly something's not right in my full fuse lil reaper original buillt.

as you can see from my avatar, i've always been loving a full fuse 3d foamy since i started learning 3d.

I think I want to rebuilt another lil reaper cause it looks so cool.

Cheers

Gary
garytcl is offline Find More Posts by garytcl