HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:05 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
Discussion
I can fly my blade 180qx quad very easily, how will I do with a chopper?

Hey everyone, looking to get into choppers. Nothing crazy and this is something I will probably do in my house or back yard. I've flown a few choppers but the modes were with limited banks. I fly my little quadcopter really well both inside and outside the house. So the chopper I was looking at is the blade 120 sr, it's affordable and seems to be a decent performer for the size. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm not a total newbie and I regularly fly rc planes with pretty good skill. Thank you for your time and advice
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:07 PM
Chairman of Circular Carnage
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
The 120 SR should be no problem.

It won't handle as much wind as your quads, but will behave similar to them.

Both self-level when you let go of the cyclic.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Getting better with the 200 SRX
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
Sweet. I was just looking at it at the hobby shop and its a cool little chopper. I'll be picking it up on Friday. You said it won't handle much wind vs the quad, is this because of the fixed pitch blades or the quad has four rotors vs one? I've flown the quad in winds approaching 15 mph but anything stronger and I just find it isn't fun as I'm battling the elements more than enjoying the flight
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
The self leveling on your quads is done electronically, while on the 120 SR
they use mechanical methods (flybar).

The self-leveling mechanical assemblies have limits that don't exist when done
with electronics, and they add extra weight and drag.

This is one reason why flybarless fixed pitch helicopters perform better than mechanically
stabilized helicopters.

Although, of the mechanically stabilized helicopters on the market today, the 120 SR
is probably one of the best.

It uses a slightly different head design than most popular FB FP helicopters.

I have never flown one, but there are plenty of videos.

Blade 120 SR Heli Advanced Swash Plate Setup and Maiden Flight (9 min 1 sec)

You also might want to check out the V911's.

Super cheap indoor fun, and they will fly outside if it's calm.

The 120 SR is sort of stuck in the middle - too big for the house, but too small for your
average breezy day.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Mar 25, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
You will get much further in the helicopter hobby if you start out
with a micro CP and a good computer radio.

I'm training now with a used DX6i and an mCPX and also a Nano QX.

For a little bit more money than the 120SR you should be able to find
a used DX6i and mCPX or Nano CPX.

You want a computer radio because it allows for nearly unlimited setups,
and also helps you understand how it all works.

Almost everything you learn on the micro CP's carries over to the big boys.

This looks like a good auction and he has a 100% rating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrum-Dx7...item2c98cdf33e

They would probably need some work, but you would learn along the way.
(If you don't like to read then this might not be for you. )

Whatever you decide, you will have a blast.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Mar 25, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:51 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
I have a dx6i, I fly 3 planes and my quad with it. I'm not totally new just new to helis, I've flown a few here and there, didn't do anything to crazy just hover and a few little basic maneuvers and I landed a 200 SRX (my friends) freaking perfectly in between some grass patches lol. After flying the 200 I thought I could have some fun with a chopper inside the house and maybe outside on calm days. I'm a plane guy at heart and already have a nice chunk of change invested in the planes, I'm also into boats and truck/cars. So I really want to keep it simple for now before I dive into more expensive toys lol
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:49 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,800 Posts
I would suggest either the 200SRX or the Blade Nano CPx. The Nano is great for indoors and, being CP, can be flown outdoors in light wind. Downside is it's very small, so you would want to keep it close when flying outside. Upside is it's very small, and easily flown indoors. It also usually handles crashes with little or no damage. (Just set up throttle hold and get used to using it.) Either will bind to your DX6i, and either will get you well on your way to flying CP helis of any size.

One word of caution, RC Helis are extremely addicting.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
I would suggest either the 200SRX or the Blade Nano CPx. The Nano is great for indoors and, being CP, can be flown outdoors in light wind. Downside is it's very small, so you would want to keep it close when flying outside. Upside is it's very small, and easily flown indoors. It also usually handles crashes with little or no damage. (Just set up throttle hold and get used to using it.) Either will bind to your DX6i, and either will get you well on your way to flying CP helis of any size.

One word of caution, RC Helis are extremely addicting.
RC anything is addicting my friend LOL. I got back into the hobby last may with a little boat thinking that was gonna be it. I have 3 planes, 2 boats, a short course truck, a touring car, most with modifications, I have enough batteries and voltage to power a small city and I still want more toys lol.

Back on topic though, I have been suggested the Nano a bunch of times but I guess I'm just a little intimidated of the collective pitch. In a heli like that the idle position would be with the throttle stick centered or neutral correct? Sounds like fun though having a tiny chopper hover inverted in my living room. Some one mentioned above the size of the 120 sr kind of makes it too big to fly indoors and too small to fly out doors, I never really considered that, I live in a town house so I don't have a ton of space in length and width but my living room is open to the second floor so I have lots of vertical air space.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
I live in a town house so I don't have a ton of space in length and width but my living room is open to the second floor so I have lots of vertical air space.
Going up and down will get old fast.

The real adrenaline kicks come when you are screaming along in fast forward flight,
and pull a hard bank.

You will need lots of room to properly enjoy the 120 SR.

Here is a 120 pilot cookin' around in his back yard.

Blade 120sr flying fast with dx6i (5 min 27 sec)

You can tell it would be more at home in a larger space.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2015, 02:48 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,800 Posts
You said you have flown the 200SRx which is a FBL FP heli. What I think you will find is that a FBL FP heli and a FBL CP heli fly very similar, at least in the upright orientation. What makes the SR easier is the 45 degree offset head, not whether or not the blades are fixed pitch. With the Nano you can set up a pitch and throttle curve that will be gentle and seem very much like the 200SRx. If you decide to get the Nano BNF, come back on here and there are folks here that can help you set up a CP for gentle flying.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
I am very much leaning to the Nano now. I figured the beginner coaxial type choppers will get boring quick, the 120 does seem a little too fast for my house for sure. The Nano seems like something I can use to hone my skills and grow with it as my skills dictate how much I can fly inverted before flying into my living room floor LOL.. I'm going to the hobby store tomorrow to buy some parts to finish my planes build and will pick up a nano while I'm there.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
I got both the Nano and an mcx2 lol. I have a three month old and she's fascinated by the mcx with the flashing lights. She's stops fussing and I get to play so it turned out to be a pretty good pick. I haven't messed around with the Nano yet. How can I adjust the heli to fly docile for me? So far the mcx is pretty easy
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
Out of the box our mCPX would hover hands free for at least 3 seconds before needing a correction.

It's unbelievably stable for such a small helicopter.

The Nano QX (quad) is also lots of fun indoors.

For more docile response, try reducing your rates and adding some expo.

Although, if you go too far it will become "mushy" and slow to respond, making it even harder to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2014
758 Posts
I'm really loving the mcx it is really stable I find it much easier to navigate around the house than my 180 qx. I'm going to open the Nano up now
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
I'm really loving the mcx it is really stable I find it much easier to navigate around the house than my 180 qx. I'm going to open the Nano up now
That's weird. Our 180 QX is so stable it looks like it's sitting on an invisible shelf.

While our mCPX is very stable as far as CP's ae concerned, it's no match for our 180.

That sucker flies like it's on rails.

Maybe there is something wrong with your 180 QX.

Either that, or you have some sort of natural mega-talent for CP's.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Mar 28, 2015 at 08:23 AM.