SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:53 AM
Joined Feb 2006
13 Posts
Build Log
Luton Minor 1/4 Scale

It's 1/4 scale, but still too small to post in the Giant Electrics Forum!

I thought I'd share my Luton Minor plans that are almost complete. Once I start putting it together, I'm sure there will be some modifications and changes to the plans. There are still some items to figure out, like size of motor and mounting, glass fiber cowl or built-up and a few other things. I had Manzano Laser Works cut the pieces (they did a really good job). I'll post pics once construction begins.
Here at some of the plane's stats:

Wingspan 6'-3"
Wing Area 1,112 sq in
Using the scale airfoil RAF48
4-channel

chongchong is offline Find More Posts by chongchong
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:56 AM
Joined Feb 2006
13 Posts
Here's the tail feathers
chongchong is offline Find More Posts by chongchong
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:17 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Nice to see pics of stuff that we cut parts for. Thanks.

FYI, your 1/4 scale plane qualifies as Giant Scale if you ever want to take it to a meet. The rules are 60" biplane, 80" monoplane, or 1/4 scale.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongchong View Post
It's 1/4 scale, but still too small to post in the Giant Electrics Forum!
Geesh, no one reads that forum anyway. I, for one am glad you posted it in this forum. It will be interesting to watch this build as it progresses.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:30 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
Hi I am very interested in building a model to these plans and getting a kit laser cut by Manzano Laser Works as mentioned above. I need permission from the designer but have no way to contact him. Can anyone help?

Phil T
Kaos40 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos40
Old Jun 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
That's a beautifully drawn plan - better than a lot of commercial kit plans I've seen in the past. Will be watching your build with interest.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:17 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos40 View Post
Hi I am very interested in building a model to these plans and getting a kit laser cut by Manzano Laser Works as mentioned above. I need permission from the designer but have no way to contact him. Can anyone help?

Phil T
Send him a PM right here on the forum.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:30 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
I have sent the PM but have no reply which is understandable since the plans were added on this thread 4 years ago. I'll start redrawing the plans myself in AutoCAD. It is such a simple plane that I don't need too much detail. Just the outlines and rib and former shapes. If I get around to cutting balsa, I'll add some photos.

Phil T
Last edited by Kaos40; Jun 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 02:34 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
Luton Minor updated drawings

I don't want to hijack this thread but I feel it is better if I just add my work here to keep it with the work already done by chongchong. I'm sure this is better than having related info all over the place. So here is where I am up to.

I drew the plans in AutoCAD by tracing over Chongchong's drawings above and also scans of three views of the full size aircraft. I found that Chongchong's drawings are very accurate to 1/4 scale. My drawing is much simpler and is all I need to construct the model. I will cut all my own wood by hand. Not worth the effort to create drawings for laser cutting. I converted the CAD drawings to pdf so they could be printed out full size on A0 size drawing sheets. The fuse was too long for one sheet so I have split it with a match line so two sheets can be joined on the match line. I would have preferred to print out on a single sheet but my local plan printing shop couldn't get the long drawing to print properly so sticking two sheets together is no big deal. I'm only using the plan for building on anyway.

I have the co-ordinates for the RAF-48 airfoil and it is very suitable for the model, nice and thick with nice round leading edge. Every model I see these days has wings that are too thin. A thicker wing is much stronger and flys better in every way on a slower model. And a round leading edge vastly improves the stall performance compared to a sharp leading edge.

I intend to power it with a Saito 82 four stroke I already own. This will overpower the model but it will probably need the weight in the nose anyway and at 1/4 throttle, the engine runs very sweet, quiet and economical. The sound of the slow revving four stroke will be very appropriate for the model.

My enthusiasm is high and I am ready to construct. All I need is approval from the higher authority to buy another pile of wood and covering material.

(I have continued to develop the drawings. Latest drawings are added. Have also explored more scale like engines since the original engine was almost fully exposed. Wouldn't an OS FT 160 be perfect for this plane.)

Phil T
Last edited by Kaos40; Dec 03, 2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Updated drawings
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:59 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
As part of my research into the Luton Minor, I purchase the amazing book "The First Home-built Aeroplanes" by Arthur W J G Ord-Hume who was a partner in the original development of the Minor and currently owns the rights to the full size aircraft design. The book contains all the original articles published in 1936 and again in 1959 describing in detail the construction of the full size Minor. After reading it, I am tempted to build the full size aircraft. It is much the same process as building a large model. The book has allowed me to vastly improve the accuracy and detail of my 1/4 scale plans and I am continuing to develop the drawings to include as much full size construction detail as I can.

Interestingly, the original 1936 Minor was changed quite a bit to create the current LA-4 version. The rear decking behind the cockpit was fully sheeted on the 1936 model but the later version has stringers so the finished appearance is quite different. Other major changes that are quite visible include the undercarriage design and the fixed fin. My design is for the later LA-4 model.

The latest version of my plans is attached. Lots of minor issues remain to be detailed but I have concentrated on the fuselage to get the shape of the formers as accurate at possible.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:56 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
I purchase the amazing book "The First Home-built Aeroplanes" by Arthur W J G Ord-Hume
For anyone, like me, interested in this type of aircraft, I can highly recommend these two books by Mr Ord-Hume.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:31 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
Wing details

I have done some more work on the wing ribs and wing details. See attached pdf's. I believe the wing is now very accurate to scale. The biggest difficulty I faced was the aileron hinge detail. The full size Minor has a plank rear wing spar and a similar plank aileron spar with simple metal hinges bolted to the spars. I have used the exact scale hinge location in my design.

I am still deciding how to build the spars in the model and the attached rib drawing shows these as 6mm balsa. This is strong and simple. These could have cut outs to remove some weight but I don't have a strong focus on weight reduction on this model because it has such large wing area. A little extra weight will do no harm to its flying qualities. After all, it is nor meant to climb vertically, just cruise around in the sky.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 06:42 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
More drawings

I got frustrated at not being able to get accurate details so I went crazy and purchased a full set of construction drawings for the full size Luton Minor. I bought them here . .
http://services.lightaircraftassocia...uk/catalog/300
So I am working through now producing a super accurate full size drawing in AutoCAD based on the actual full size construction drawings. This will allow me to scale down to any size.
I have always wanted to use the OS FT-160 engine but I feel this will be too powerful for the quarter scale Luton Minor. I feel that a 120 size motor would be better for 1/4 scale. But I love this motor and it is perfect for the minor so my plan is to build larger than quarter scale, maybe 30% or even 1/3 scale. This would give a wingspan of about 2.3m to 3m which is similar to a 1/4 scale cub.
Attached are some of the preliminary drawings in quarter scale. I have not focussed on model construction detail, just accurate scale outline. All these pdfs have been created at 1/4 scale on A0 size sheets directly from my CAD drawing.
For model construction detail, look at chongchong's lovely drawings. There are not many pieces in the Minor model so it is not hard to cut these by hand.
I will continue to work on these drawings until I have drawn the complete Minor including all metalwork fittings so if anyone needs some detail, I will be happy to provide an accurate scale extract from my drawing and add this to the thread.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 07:54 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
3 tenth scale

For comparison, the following drawing is 3 tenth (30%) scale. See how much better the OS FT-160 fits this model.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:55 AM
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
More accurate drgs

I now have the full size construction drawings of the Luton Minor and I am copying the exact detail into AutoCAD. Can't get any more accurate than that. I'll keep adding drawings as I progress.

Phil T
Last edited by Kaos40; Dec 16, 2014 at 09:05 AM.