Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by boaterguy
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
Discussion
Hooking up a monitor to FPV

I've never done anything FPV before, and I'm looking into hooking up my laptop or a standard computer monitor (I'd have to bypass the internal power supply) to the foxtech 200mw 5.8 system.
I know it would probably be simple with a computer monitor once I figured out a way to power it, but how would I do it with a laptop? Can the VGA port take input? How would I convert the NTSC or PAL signal to whatever the protocol is for VGA?
I have experience with arduino and I can write in small basic.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,059 Posts
I haven't tried them myself, but i've seen computer cafes using an analog to vga converter to hook up their playstations to computer monitors. They may be fast since i often see them playing fighting games.

If you're going through the computer. That may be an issue, i have a TV tuner with analog input and there's a considerable latency when you have to pass a video through the USB port because of all the processing it has to do on both ends of the usb cable.

Of course, all the video capturers i've had are just the cheap ones, there may be better models out there. I'm planning on using mine with a netbook to capture flights when i get my fpv gear.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Mar 30, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by bauerbach
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
In a nut shell, it wont work.

VGA has its own protocol that involves 5 different signals to display an image. Unlike composite signals where the video signal is singular.

The simple VGA to Composite converters you see are intended to convert the VGA to composite, through video cards that support sending such a signal. It will not work the other way under any circumstances.

There are powered converters which will actively parse it, but they will be much more expensive. It would be much cheaper to just buy a small TV at that point.

Once you introduce a laptop into the mix, it can do the work, and its a better system all around. You will probably want to record the feed for many reasons, so you grab a USB capture card and itll output to the laptop screen, or an external monitor just like it always could.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
So there are composite to USB adapters? Are they reasonably simple, ie could I make myself one?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
nooo, has to convert analog to digital. needs software as well.

without picking favorites, as Ive only used 1

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...ideo%20capture
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:00 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
I'm basically broke at the moment, and I still have to buy an FPV system, unfortunately those are too expensive for me. I'll try my best to find a TV or something with composite input in the meantime. I might end up having to fly at home using a TV.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
I think the one I got was like $30... but that was probably the cheapest thing lol. best prepare yourself, as this is a pretty expensive hobby.

If nothing else, if/when your plane goes down, itll be invaluable to be able to play the crash back to find the exact location.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
Don't worry, my 1500$ 3kW boat is already screaming at me that it's an expensive hobby. I'm just diving into FPV now.
The issue is finding an LCD or OLED tv, the tube TV's require an AC input to work the transformer and I'm going to be running it likely off of a car battery.
Are there comp monitors with composite input?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
surely there are... but not many.

fewer every day I would say. most are going with all digital inputs.

assuming you have a laptop, why not use that with a $30 usb capture card which you really need anyway... maybe Im missing the intent of using a monitor directly, rather than a TV or a laptop... both seem more capable and less expensive.

And then OLED.... that's not even readily available on the market yet. super expensive.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:59 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
I'm fine with using anything, I just want a some sort of display that I can hook up to my FPV rx (haven't purchased yet so all is still good). The laptop idea was so that I could use software to capture.
Why would I need a capture card? I only intend on doing this to fly around on my quad and explore.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,558 Posts
I confronted the parental units (I'm still 16) and ended up with a small, 14" tv that runs off 12V (yaaaay) and has a composite video input, we had it lying around.
The only issue I see with this is that I plan to run off of a car battery, do you think the charging load when the car is running (bringing it up to > 13V) will kill it?
I have to thank you guys over here for all the help. I think I may be a little over my head right now.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
most anything made to run off 12v will accept the ~14v that a car will deliver. Its basicly assumed to be the case in a 12v application.

I think a laptop is the ideal option, its how I will fly until I get goggles.

Problem is, computers have no video inputs, you have to convert it to USB, which you cannot DIY AFAIK... perhaps there is some opensource arduino something or other, that's beyond my knowledge though.

The small TV will get you the bare minimums atleast.
Old May 15, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by steve slade
santa fe n.m. usa
Joined Jan 2001
15 Posts
rca to vga converter

Unless I missed something, I bought a RCA to VGA converter that I use with a computer monitor and it works great. It cost $17 on amazon. It even prevents blue screen. My whole 17" ground station cost $49 with harbor freight case and all.
steve slade is offline Find More Posts by steve slade
Old Jun 17, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Techmeister
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve slade View Post
Unless I missed something, I bought a RCA to VGA converter that I use with a computer monitor and it works great. It cost $17 on amazon. It even prevents blue screen. My whole 17" ground station cost $49 with harbor freight case and all.
And you don't experience any lag!?!?
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by Dave H.
Joined Feb 2008
2,965 Posts
This thread is two years old so it doesn't surprise me that an electronic product that cost $30 then might cost $17 today.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.