New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2015, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by quaddamage
Joined Jun 2014
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
Very curious how you crammed 36000 mAh of batteries in your "extreme" sky surfer? Did you mean 3600?

I have the multistar 4s 16000 mAh and not sure I could even fit a single one of those in the SSS. But tempted to try.

BG
Yea I put 36000 mAH the extreme sky surfer is bigger than the super sky surfer (which I have as well).

The Fuselage is much larger inside, fit 36000 mAH snugly, but it works just fine.
quaddamage is offline Find More Posts by quaddamage
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
860 Posts
^Would definitely like to see how you placed 36000 mAh of batteries in your "extreme" Super Sky Surfer? What brand batteries, do you have a link?

...and by "extreme super sky surfer" are you referring to the Airfield Giant Convertible from Niroplanes? Or something else?

Aside from a few (or several) improvements over the BlitzRCWorks Super Sky Surfer, the Airfield Giant is essentially the same air frame.

That would be great if you could post photos of your set up.
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old May 10, 2015, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by quaddamage
Joined Jun 2014
254 Posts
Yes it is the airfield one, thought it was considered the extreme size

Fuselage is about 2x the size interior wise of the super but same layout.

Fit 36000 mAH batteries quite easy,

Multistar 8000 mAH 10C batteries hit about an hour and 20+ minutes still had 3.89 volts per cell.

think I could have hit 2 hours.
quaddamage is offline Find More Posts by quaddamage
Old May 10, 2015, 01:51 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
860 Posts
Definitely think you should be able to hit two hours. Sorry, did you say what motor and prop you aree using??

I think I'm going to dig out my SSS replacement fuse and see how the 10000 and 16000 mAh multistars line up.

Looking to do a loitering repeater platform, wold like to use something on hand rather than buying another air-frame I don't have space for.

Sorry to bother but would really love to see a photo if you can swing it. TIA

BG
Old May 11, 2015, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by HeartSailor
Geeks 'R' Us
United States, MO, Smithville
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Multistar batteries

Just looking at the HK web site. FWIW, using the posted specs, came up with this chart.

It's clear (and obvious) that the best value for mAh is the 16000 battery. What surprised me was that the 6600 mAh battery is clearly the one with the best capacity to weight ratio. Not even close. If the posted specs are true. (Ed: which they are not. See my post below)
HeartSailor is offline Find More Posts by HeartSailor
Last edited by HeartSailor; May 11, 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 11, 2015, 03:42 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSailor View Post
Just looking at the HK web site. FWIW, using the posted specs, came up with this chart.

It's clear (and obvious) that the best value for mAh is the 16000 battery. What surprised me was that the 6600 mAh battery is clearly the one with the best capacity to weight ratio. Not even close. If the posted specs are true.
Just a heads up....The weights you referenced are their "shipping" weights. These are the weights HK uses to calculate your shipping charges.

The weight listed in the "product config table" is closer to the actual weight.

For a point of reference my 10000mAh batteries (with anderson power pole connectors) weigh in @ 812g. Only 8g off from the config table. The 16000mAh battery (with XT90 because I haven't swapped it out yet) weighs in @ 1304g. 14g off from the config table.

Yielding a mAh/g ratio of 12.315 for the 10000 mAh 4S and a mAh/g ratio of 12.269 for the 16000 mAh 4S. Using the weight of 537g from the product config table for the 6600 mAh 4S would yeild a mAh/g ratio of 12.29.

They are all so close I would consider the difference negligible.

I'll dig up my order details online later and factor out what I paid for them from the U.S. East warehouse and what that works out to for $/mAh
Last edited by BravoGolf; May 11, 2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:26 PM
Geeks 'R' Us
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Ahhh...all that work, boy do I feel dumb!

OK, here's the re-worked chart. The mAh/gm are indeed identical. The 16000 comes out as the most cost effective.
Old Jun 05, 2015, 07:08 PM
Geeks 'R' Us
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
I am seriously excited

I'm hoping that my "bag o' bolts" that I've been putting into the nose of the fuse to get my CG right is now a thing of the past.
Old Jun 06, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by Doctor Who 2002
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Hey, HeartSailor, what servos would I need for the SSS? Would Hitec's HS-65 servos (karbonite gear) be good enough for all control surfaces? Like you, this will be my present to myself for Christmas, maybe sooner, LOL. I already have the money, but I just started out with a sky surfer and loving it (FPV flying). No point to buying the SSS right now, however, I do want to go farther Anyways, I just want to compile a list of all the parts to buy right now to get an estimate. I will mod the SSS: put the servos on the tail, Small Parts CNC motor mount; to swing a larger prop, 4s Lipo, replace wing spar (because people say it's really heavy) with a carbon fiber rod instead, and... Anyways, back to my original question, are these servos good for the SSS?
Doctor Who 2002 is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who 2002
Old Jun 09, 2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by Gordks
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,093 Posts
Oops.
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Jun 09, 2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: meant to send private message
Old Jun 13, 2015, 09:51 PM
Geeks 'R' Us
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who 2002 View Post
Would Hitec's HS-65 servos (karbonite gear) be good enough for all control surfaces?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Hitec lists the specs:
Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V): 25 / 31
Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 1.8 / 2.2

That's compared to the servos that I use for all control surfaces, the HS-225MGs:
4.8V: 54.0 oz-in (3.89 kg-cm)
6.0V: 67.0 oz-in (4.82 kg-cm)

I don't know if I need all that power, but I suspect that there may be times that this big plane needs a bit of extra oomph in the servos. On one of my earlier planes I did use the smaller servos mounted externally for the empennage control surfaces. That plane crashed. Don't know if it had to do with not enough servo power, but it might have been. I have been VERY happy with the 225s mounted in the fuse using the Gold-n-Rod linkages.

Good luck!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by Doctor Who 2002
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Thanks! It's hard to get info on this plane. I didn't know that the kit version came in two halves. So, how much maH you using? 4s? Flight time? Is it hard to hand launch? This is pretty much it. Thanks man. When I get it I'll post it here. I emailed BH, they said that they'll have a sale maybe around July 4th on this plane.
Doctor Who 2002 is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who 2002