HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2013, 09:05 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Build Log
F7F Tigercat from Palmer Plans

Finally ready to start the T-Cat. Have been acquiring all the needed components over the last few months so I won't have to wait on anything( except what I have forgotten). This build will be maidened in Vegas at the Ace in The Hole(AITH) fly-in planned for Oct. So I need to get it built and find a new big trailer before then.
I had considered going with a one piece wing for simplicity but finally decided to make removable wing panels. So the wing tube & socket is on order and should be here any day. Also have a large order from National Balsa coming in to replace what I will need for skinning the surfaces.
I have been studying the plans, it will be a pretty complicated build.
I'm planning on making a mold for the nacelles in case I need to make more if I screw up the fitting to the wing, always difficult and stressful. Also a mold for the cowls.
Wings will be hot wired and skinned as usual for me.
The fuse? Still on the fence about it. I can either make a fanfold fuse and use as a plug, simply shape and carve from solid foam, or make it in foam sections and
glue together. I'm leaning to the latter since Palmer provides a bunch of formers to go by. Then I will do my typical FG fuse over the top of it. In other words, no typical female mold. I had thought of a fanfold fuse and then skinned with 1/16" balsa but as narrow as the fuse is, I'll need all the room inside that I can get.
This is the same size as the ESM T-Cat at 83" wingspan. I've seen where they fly anywhere from a little over 20 lbs to even over 30 lbs. I will be pretty
disappointed if this build goes over 20 lbs. But , although a bit bigger, of course my dollar nineteen went to 30 lbs so we'll see.
Here is the equipment I've assembled so far.
Turnigy 5055- 320KV motors with Turnigy HV 80A escs. I lowered the KV of the motors from the ones in the 119 in order to run the MAS 3 bladed 16x10 props.
I'd like to use them but if comes down to it needing 2 bladed props, so be it.
It will use Spring Air retracts, 700 series. That is the largest they had with a 100 degree nose gear. Good for models up to 16 lbs so hopefully Nut will land light on his feet.
Robart struts.
3" nose wheel and 4" mains. Actual scale is 3.5" nose and 4.5" main but I want a little more room to make retraction a little simpler.
It will take a little time to get up to speed on it but the actual building will start soon.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I'm sure I will have quite a few problems to overcome and will be seeking some help out with this build. Hopefully we'll all learn something useful and that will make us all better modelers.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2013, 09:34 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
I'm in can't wait to see what you do w/ this baby!

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old May 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
i'm in can't wait to see what you do w/ this baby! :d

Bruce
+1
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old May 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
I think you will like the Dlux ESCs if you have not used them before. I like mine a lot and I run it pretty hard. Seems like a straight-forward build for you (except retracts) but are you planning any fun stuff... tank drop? I always enjoy your craftsmanship so I'll sit back now and watch.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,106 Posts
J, they are always better, bigger and more beatiful than we expect!
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old May 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Thanks for the support, probably need it.

Willsonman,
I'm running the HV 80A in the 119, so far so good.
It is a straight forward build in many ways but the way the plans are drawn up does create a few small problems. Right now I'm studying some more on the nacelles. They are drawn up with the wing cutout and I want to do only one mold for both. So I'm thinking I'll just extend the wing cutout upward a bit so I can then cut out for left and right. That should make it a generic mold for both sides.

As far as "extras", only figuring on lighting system but this build will evolve as it goes. Palmer did draw up the aux belly fuel tank, 250 lb bombs, and rockets. We'll see how anal I get with it.
Looking down the road on color schemes, they have some really bright ones as fire bombers but I think I will have to stick with a Marine Corps theme as the typical dark sea blue.
And yes, I'm sure the retracts and doors will drive me up a wall but you do what you have to do I guess.

J

PS Thanks Hans!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 11:34 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
I hear you there. I always did like the typical marine blue. Opting out of a crazy scheme could lend a bit of time to put into... a LOT of rivets. I think I get what you are talking about for the nacelles. I guess... does it come down to making a parting mold to make two or are you going the way of just making a foam plug and plaster technique? There are pros and cons to each but maybe the parting plane would be better for "baking in" some details like panel lines and rivets... Like what ace is doing with the T-28. I'm all for Spark's montra to get foam models 1/2 the weight of the traditional big models and that would be a good way to do it and get some details in without adding some weight for extra primer etc. Also, you would only have to do the rivets on each nacelle ONCE. Your call... just typing out loud.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 13, 2013, 11:43 AM
Louisville, KY
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Count me in. Looking forward to another beautiful airplane.
Ed Hardesty is offline Find More Posts by Ed Hardesty
Old May 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
I'll be doing the whole parting plane - mold thing on the nacelles and cowls. Hopefully I can get away with just one mold for each.

Thanks Ed

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
central illinois
Joined Aug 2002
795 Posts
J,
one of my favorites. go for it!
david
newcomer is offline Find More Posts by newcomer
Old May 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
455 Posts
Eagerly awaiting progress.....I will try to keep Brain under control
Bring on the learning
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old May 13, 2013, 03:23 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Decided to make Depron formers to make the plug for the nacelle. I'll wrap them with copper tape for hot wiring the sections to make the nacelle. Use a carbon tube for the center to align. Need to make a small handy hot wire cutter, have needed one for a long time.
But I have family stopping by now, dental appt tomorrow. It will be Wed before I get much done.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,237 Posts
oooooooooh booooy!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 13, 2013, 05:21 PM