SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:25 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
895 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Micro P-38 Lightning (Wishing For)

I sure wish they'd build one...

Seems like it would be an easy to engineer plane. They've already done the work with the electronics for the Mosquito. Counter rotating 3-blade props, reversed motor & gearbox, dual esc board, 250 mAh battery and charger...

Add AS3X to the board, two rudder servos and done. Am I the the only one drooling over the idea of a Micro P-38???
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Last edited by FLTRI; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
You are not the only one. I've been saying this for some time now.
Imladris18 is offline Find More Posts by Imladris18
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:13 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
254 Posts
You should feel bad for posting this and making me hope it was a product announcement.
tware is offline Find More Posts by tware
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:38 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware View Post
You should feel bad for posting this and making me hope it was a product announcement.
Pretty sure that is what the is for.... he trolled me to dammit!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
327 Posts
Bf-110 plz
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:10 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,949 Posts
I made a Micro P-38 for my friend using a paper model P-38 plan enlarged to a 24" WS with the Micro Mossy e-gear, brick etc.

One boom holds the brick the other holds the battery it has ailerons, rudders and elevator. It wasn't easy to build and fit everything to work but it came out pretty good and flys pretty good too.

Here's a bunch of pic's of it with two other Micro P-38's one has two brushless motors the others do not have rudders just ailerons and they fly fine though the brushless is way too fast and needs a big field at least for me.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:40 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I made a Micro P-38 for my friend using a paper model P-38 plan enlarged to a 24" WS with the Micro Mossy e-gear, brick etc.

One boom holds the brick the other holds the battery it has ailerons, rudders and elevator. It wasn't easy to build and fit everything to work but it came out pretty good and flys pretty good too.

Here's a bunch of pic's of it with two other Micro P-38's one has two brushless motors the others do not have rudders just ailerons and they fly fine though the brushless is way too fast and needs a big field at least for me.

Pete
Fantastic job, Pete. I've thought about doing the same thing, and still may eventually.

It just really surprises me that PZ would go to all the effort to engineer the brick and CCW bits for a twin, and then not roll out another two or three dual prop planes. They've got what, five planes, all basically running P-51 electrics? It just seems like they could easily make a P-38 or (anything twin screw) now that the hard part of the engineering is done.

I've had the Mossy for six months now, it's one of my favorite fliers. With the large wing area, I can float it around, or crank up both motors, and turn and burn. With the CCW props, there is no torque to deal with. I also appreciate the carbon stiffeners in the wing and tail, and the enclosed battery. It's such a great plane, I just wish I had a Lightning to park next to it...

Sorry about the deceptive title, I check the Parkzone site daily hoping they see the Light(ning)...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:46 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yes I too am hoping they'll get around to a P-38 sometime, we got a mustang, a spitfire, Corsair, and now a P-40 coming,............a P-38 has to be planned, and also agree it's a lot of engineering and producing the brick for a twin just to do only one. But im surprised a Lightning wasnt done first, instead of the Mosquito.
But surely the Mosquito isnt the only one we'll see.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Last edited by SabreHawk; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:18 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,771 Posts
b-25 would be nice. or a a-26. those lasted untill early vietnam.
bf110, donier arrow, Ju88 with working bomb bay, the list goes one.

it is odd the only twin they have made is the mossie.
its a shame, i really like the ar6400T.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:37 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
113 Posts
It just seems like those twin booms would be quite fragile and wouldn't survive much abuse in a hard landing.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:41 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post

Pete
I keep coming back to look at these photos, man you did a phenomenal job. Those p38s are incredible!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:02 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Stop and think where the rx, batteries and servos will go.

This is a modeling nightmare. I have an old kit meant for the FS 100 or whatever it was called. Looking at it I can tell you there is no place to put the gear. The Mosquito has a full fuse, the P-38 does not but it has twin rudders. What's the linkage to the elevator going to look like?

Try a little engineering and you'll know why this really interesting plane has been ignored.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:06 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
How about, they make a micro EDF airliner? Anybody else agree?

(No thread hijack intended, just sharing my views).
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:29 AM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Stop and think where the rx, batteries and servos will go.

This is a modeling nightmare. I have an old kit meant for the FS 100 or whatever it was called. Looking at it I can tell you there is no place to put the gear. The Mosquito has a full fuse, the P-38 does not but it has twin rudders. What's the linkage to the elevator going to look like?

Try a little engineering and you'll know why this really interesting plane has been ignored.

Pete
It's a challenge. Not mission impossible.

I would think mtflyr's success is proof of concept.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:19 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,771 Posts
now you got me itchin' to try it.... im gonna print out a 32 scale template and start cutting.
i bbet you could do it old school, push pull cables. really only need one rudder... elevator might need both sides, you could run a rod...
first things first. print.
i got mosie gear comming soon!
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull