HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Jul 2006
346 Posts
Discussion
Shell Ridge, Walnut Creek, CA

Hi -

I'm just learning to DS. I've been trying Shell Ridge, but most promising DS area (the saddle just past the rocks) has this giant tree offset from the center. Am I in the correct location for this site? Getting a lot of this:
c.walker is offline Find More Posts by c.walker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
I can't say exactly, 'cause I was just there for the first time myself (on Wednesday afternoon, 15-20mph and good). But that's where I was flying too... I hiked up to the next section of ridge and there were nothing but trees on the backside so based on that observation and what I could gather off the web this first saddle seems to be the spot... and that tree seems to be the plane eating tree everyone has talked about.
Let me know next time you go out. I just moved to the bay area and I'm looking for places and people to fly with. I'm in Oakland.

-James
DS junkie
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
I was flying my 3M moldie and definitely didn't want to get in the tree so I was standing at the rocks and flying really deep (the backside here is nice and steep and deep) and flying out as close to myself and as far from the tree as possible. Landing on the steep frontside was almost trickier than the DS, especially with all those hidden rocks.

-James
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,929 Posts
You should give the site at the Marin Civic Center a shot. It's got to be the "bunny slope" of DS spots. You have to DS over a line of trees, but the slope is so sharp the layer is fairly high up.

If you want directions let me know.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard View Post
I just moved to the bay area and I'm looking for places and people to fly with. I'm in Oakland.

-James
DS junkie
Wow - did you get a step-up for OBSF? Kind of a seismic shift from North County!

Never flown Shell Ridge but I have goofed around at the Civic Center. Neat slope.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Wow - did you get a step-up for OBSF? Kind of a seismic shift from North County!

Never flown Shell Ridge but I have goofed around at the Civic Center. Neat slope.
I've had to pull-out the 6'8" a couple of times... and a hoody and booties

-James
getting seismically well adjusted
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Jul 2006
346 Posts
Slopemeno -

Thanks for the Civic Center suggestion; I found your directions from another thread, will check it out sometime.

James -

Welcome to the Bay Area. There are a number of sites fairly close to Oakland. Here's a few:
1) Berkeley Marina: http://goo.gl/maps/g88YV
This is not a DS site, only a light frontside slope, but there is a social group here that flies on Tuesday afternoons.
2) Coyote Hills: http://goo.gl/maps/QsRRG
This is a large bowl. Not sure what the legal status on DS is. There are usually a few people out on the weekends.
3) Sibley: http://goo.gl/maps/0lLps
I'm OOT for 2 weeks, will PM you when I head out to try DSing again.
c.walker is offline Find More Posts by c.walker
Last edited by c.walker; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
You guys should check out NorCalSlopeSoarer's home slope, the Slot. Has a really huge backside ridge and a nice grassy LZ. You'd need to be a club member and fly F3F a bit to get access, but its the best backside in the bay that I've found.

Hope to fly with you again James/maybe get in a race or two with ya at Davenport ISR next spring.

Peace
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.walker View Post
Slopemeno -

3) Sibley: http://goo.gl/maps/0lLps
I'm OOT for 2 weeks, will PM you when I head out to try DSing again.
I went out to Sibley today to check it out and had a good flight or two. The backside was a bit rough but I got some good circuits in.

I found a set of keys just off the trail on the backside where I assume one would stand or set their stuff down when flying there, right at the top of the knoll (that's where I set down my planes and stuff). If you lost them send me a PM and I'll get them back to you.

-James