HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
Intro (check out my quad) and a few questions.

Hey all,

Been lurking for a bit. First post on RCG, been a rc nut for 22 years, and I've been using this handle forever. I've made a decent quad.. well several really. I started with a hand made airframe. For some reason I thought 3/8th balsa could hold a 12 inch prop.

I tried to make a stronger setup, and succeeded, this one worked ok. The motor mounts wouldn't stay aligned though.

Then I moved on to a modded X525 setup, flown as +.

(old pic)

(slightly newer, but still old)

I've been modding this one ever since, now I use a HK KK 2.0 board, Fatshark 5.8 FPV setup, and fly X formation now. It's been a long journey, but I have a decent quad setup now. Get about 18 minutes flight time on a 4ah 3s pack. DT700 motors, HK 18/20 amp ESC, 11x4.7 cheapo props. I've hit 27 minutes using dual 4ah batteries. Roughly 600mm wheelbase.

I've been lurking around here for a bit, but there's a couple issues I still haven't figured out.

First up, whats up with OSD?

Yea yea, it's an onscreen display, but to do it right one needs a GPS, baro, compass, and some motion sensors would be nice too. Thats fine, but a good FC already has all of those, I don't need to carry 2 of every sensor, so are there any proper flight controllers that also handle OSD duties? Not a pilot, but i've solo'd a Cessna 152. I really need a vertical speed guage.

What the heck is a data radio? Let's say I buy a APM, and a Xbee data radio. Now what? Is my usual HK 6 channel radio useless? Does the video feed go to the laptop now? I've got RealFlight, do I use the controller for that? The radio must interface with the FC somehow, but I'm not sure what cables are needed.

Also, the buzzer on my KK 2.0 board doesn't seem to do anything. I've got 2 of these boards, I've tried both buzzers, and flashed the one I'm using with... 1.2 FW maybe. I'm not sure which FW actually. Can't get a peep out of the buzzer. LVA set at 140 (cause I want beeps dammit),
Ducati777 is offline Find More Posts by Ducati777
Last edited by Ducati777; Sep 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Wow tough crowd.

As far as I can tell, there is no integrated OSD and FC boards out there. Maybe a APM board can do it through telemetry, but I'll have to read more on that.

On the buzzer issue, I'm guessing it's an issue with my board. I have another board I can try, just not at home right now to play.

On the plus side, the last 4 packs have been issue free. I keep playing with the PID settings, but all in all I think I've got a decent setup now. I haven't done any FPV flying lately, but with several non issue flights, it might be time to strap the goggles on again.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Logged in and I had a PM! That's exciting. I figured that flurry of excitement deserved an update...

So I did a HEAP of flying this weekend. I was able to get the FPV camera reliable, and I just flew pack after pack. My range seems pretty crappy, 250 yards or so, but oddly up quite a way, so I was climbing well above the horizon and spinning in place enjoying the views.

I also added lights and tried night flying in 3rd person. Wow, what a difference lights make! Day or night, I really recommend some orientation lights to anyone flying 3rd person.

2 whites up front, red and green on the rear's. These are strip LED's, cut in 3 led sections and wrapped around the end of the boom, so I get an LED facing 3 directions off the tips. It's quite bright, and is really fun to fly at night.

The new orientation marks gave me confidense and I really stepped the speeds up. I was playing around with high speed flight, and I stuffed it into the ground when I lost the quad into the sunset and over corrected the wrong direction.

Another boom dies. Now that I rigidly mount my motors to the booms, the booms tend to twist up more. It used to be my motor plates that died first.

But now the booms... I make them myself, so it's not a big deal to twist one up.

I'm grounded at the moment. M1 is acting up, I think it's the ESC and I'm out of spares.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Also a quick vid from the weekend.

playing with the quad (0 min 45 sec)

Without a camera person, I'm having a tough time packing any action into such a small picture.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Nov 2008
117 Posts
Damn that looks like you plowed it into the ground good. What size alu arms are you using there? Also with regard to the buzzer it may be worth getting a dedicated low voltage alarm. Costs pennies and works a charm.
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giek2000 View Post
Damn that looks like you plowed it into the ground good. What size alu arms are you using there? Also with regard to the buzzer it may be worth getting a dedicated low voltage alarm. Costs pennies and works a charm.
I think they're 13mm aluminum square tubing. If I ever find carbon fiber square tubing, I'll buy up a heap of it.

On the buzzer, I do indeed use a dedicated LVA. But it plugs into the balance tap of the battery. My goal by using the FC buzzer was to have a 1 plug affair. Plugging in the main battery would power the quad, the video, and the LVA.

I think my LVA is rated 1s, so it just checks a single cell. If I use a 3s LVA, I might be able to tap it into the distribution board, and get my 1 plug goal.

But ultimately, I need volts on a OSD, as one of these days I'll figure out the range issue on my FPV setup and fly at greater distances.