HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Question
Air hole cut outs on a Electrifly super sportster?

I just won a Electrifly super sportster at a raffle at my club, and this is my first balsa arf, but I have a lot of foamy experience. On the bottom of the fuse leading to the tail, there are a lot of cut out circles decreasing in size. I've seen a few videos that mentioned that it would be good to cut off some covering in that area to allow for good cooling. Would having a few of the circles cut out cause to much drag? Cutting out at least one would also help me with positioning my Rx antenna
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
If you're referring to the GP Super Sportster EP, the red and white one, I've had a few of those.

My most recent one came with the holes already open, (I think there are six small holes, about the size of a dime) but I think previous ones might have come with them covered up, and you had to cut out the covering from each of the holes.

They are for enabling cooling air flow of the motor/ESC/battery.

If they are covered with the covering, cut them out. They have zero effect on drag, or anything else.

There's a very extensive thread on this forum for this plane. A bunch of us mod'd the crappy landing gear, among other things. The Great Planes Electrostik has excellent fiberglass landing gear, in the same red color. If you have to land on grass, you pretty much have to get rid of the bendy wire lg and do something else. Tower Hobbies sells the Electrostik landing gear.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Last edited by tlr-boise; May 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
If it is the GP, I have one, my 2nd. I think the gear is fine for grass, but it may depend on how smooth and how short. The original design was for glow, so depending on what motor you use, do not be surprised if you need to add a LOT of nose weight. Good plane, but can certainly float on final!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,834 Posts
No input here, but I'm searching out S.S. electric and there is basically nothing on this site! Have you flown it yet? How is it coming along?
Is it this S.S. ? http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma6006.html
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
It's this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXFY6&P=ML
I have it all assembled, used the reccomended rimfire .25, a 50 amp opto esc, and , Hs-81s, and an Hs-82 on elevator. The build was pretty easy. I'll maiden it tomorrow, and report back
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Good luck!

Make sure that CG is right.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
I maidened it today, and it went very well. I had a bit too much expo, and on the first landing I overshot into the bushes, but there wasn't any damage. Added 3 AA batteries in the cowl to get cg right. I'll look into getting less springy landing gear.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:31 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Congrats Copperbricks.

If you change to that Elektrostik landing gear, it will help the CG a bit, and you can maybe take out a couple of those batts.

Tower Hobbies website states that the Elektrostik gear is aluminum, but it's not. It's fiberglass.

I use 1/4" white nylon bolts to attach it to the fuselage, and it works great. If you have some tools and you're handy, it's easy. If you don't and you're not, it's a bit of a hassle.

But that lg solved a lot of problems I was having with landings, and so it was worth it for me.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Okay, thanks, I'll look into that.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I maidened it today, and it went very well. I had a bit too much expo, and on the first landing I overshot into the bushes, but there wasn't any damage. Added 3 AA batteries in the cowl to get cg right. I'll look into getting less springy landing gear.
Use something other than batteries to add weight. They will start to leak as they age. Use lead wheel weights from the shop of your choice, they take up less room also.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy