HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
New Development:
I will be able to produce the Pinter 3 as well.

MAX, ORCO and Pinter 3.

Moonlight Yachts?
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I got an IOM fron Brazil that came in a cardboard concrete tube with plywood ends,i would say it's fairly bomb proof.The cardboard was drilled and the bulb strapped on inside with zip ties
Who/What/When/Where/Why/How did you get that boat from Brazil?

How can people get their hands on an M?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
My XL doppler just made it in a tube and it is bigger and heavier than either of the hulls you will be doing.
Who/What/When/Where/Why/How did you get that XL Doppler?

Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:12 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
New Development:
I will be able to produce the Pinter 3 as well.

MAX, ORCO and Pinter 3.

Moonlight Yachts?
I want a Pinter! I want a Pinter!
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
I want a Pinter! I want a Pinter!
So do I
One step at a time, I'll have one boat made, and hopefully a few thousand others follow suit.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:01 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,299 Posts
Just an idea: Would it be worthwhile to have some place do laser-cut inwhales? You could spec it to them for each different boat, and you could direct purchasers of your hulls to get the parts from the laser-cutter.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
At this point I want to note that I have asked everyone I could in search of trying to find any copyright issues behind the scenes on the ORCO and MAX with no success.
So here I am saying this publicly. I own the moulds, and I want to at-least try and supply some boats.

It is not my intent to cross any lines I am not supposed to, and I respect any proprietary issues that may exist, or royalties requested, but unless I can get confirmation of that, I assume that there are no issues. These guys are gone from the scene.

And, especially where I am not physically doing the lamination of these hulls (nor do I want to) I have ZERO intention of messing with the copyrights on them. I only want to re-ignite the class.

If you hear of anyone involved in the original production of these boats please mention this to them and I will respectfully do as they ask. It's their stuff.
As you know, these folks are out of the game, so I don't anticipate any issues, but who knows. I hope they too see that it's a goal to benefit the class rather than a money-maker.

My goal is to produce a carbon fiber 1st quality hull for these boats at a price not really to make money (we all know there's no real money to be made in model yachts), but to get the M-class' motor running. It would seem silly to fuss over that sort of stuff and keep the M-class' feet stuck in the Molasses. But, that determination is respectfully up to the designers.
I've put my best foot forward to try and do it the right way.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
Quote:
Who/What/When/Where/Why/How did you get that XL Doppler?

The Doppler is a John Taylor designed rg-65. I wanted to build a vane M for use at spreckles lake in SF. Since the sfmyc rules require a minimum displacement of 15 lbs I thought to use a double sized Doppler. Note that a 2 lb rg-65 doubled in size displaces 16 lbs. John had good luck with his pixel as a vane boat in the 2012 British championship. Since the Doppler is from the same line of hulls I thought it should work well.
To build the xl Doppler I simply doubled the frames for the rg-65. Quite simple to do since I had already done the cad work for the rg version.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
Swede Johnson was the designer of the orco skinny. I believe he is now living in a nursing home in the San Diego area
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,299 Posts
A local here in AZ, from what I'm told, still talks with Swede on a semi-regular basis. If you'd like, I can see if "we" can get in contact with him for his "yay" or "nay" on the composite Orco Skinny.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
A local here in AZ, from what I'm told, still talks with Swede on a semi-regular basis. If you'd like, I can see if "we" can get in contact with him for his "yay" or "nay" on the composite Orco Skinny.
Please do!
I surely will give credit were credit is due. I didn't design these boats, I only want to see them sailing.
Just because these boats are not Skapels does not mean that they are "dead" by any stretch of the imagination. They're just one of the many designs of the Marblehead class, and a blast to sail.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
226 Posts
Jon Elmaleh, the designer of the Pinter is very much alive and active in r/c sailing. Among other things he created the rc laser and the nirvana and was the only US entry in the recent UK marblehead nationals with a new design. I'm curious on what terms he authorized you to sell his boats and will they be available outside the US?
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
Jon Elmaleh, the designer of the Pinter is very much alive and active in r/c sailing. Among other things he created the rc laser and the nirvana and was the only US entry in the recent UK marblehead nationals with a new design. I'm curious on what terms he authorized you to sell his boats and will they be available outside the US?
I don't have his authorization, but I do have the pinter 3 mould available. I am not the owner of the Pinter 3 Mould. I Own the MAX and ORCO.
I never said I had anyones authorization. I only said that I've tried to contact the designers with no success, I even said I have no intent to cross any lines I'm not supposed to, so let's not get confused on that issue.

Dave Ramos of Chesapeake Performance Model Yachts has the Pinter 2.5 moulds, which he acquired fro Greg Worth.

If you know of a way to contact him, please let me know and I will do so. We all know it's not a world-championship caliber boat. Heck the Pinter 2.5 is actually better than the Pinter 3.
But it's still a Marblehead 50/800, and someone should sail it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Please do!
I surely will give credit were credit is due. ...
Attempting contact has been initiated. I called the guy that knows the guy that talks to Swede. Work schedules, etc might slow things down, but I'll do what I can.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Attempting contact has been initiated. I called the guy that knows the guy that talks to Swede. Work schedules, etc might slow things down, but I'll do what I can.
Any help is surely appreciated. My final lead out there is a Mr. Barnett, After that I've got nothin'

Most of those that I've talked to were extremely excited to learn that Chuck Black's Moulds even existed, and were doubly interested in learning that someone might try to do something with them.

The understanding I got from most of them was that when Sweede was through with it, he was through with it, and didn't mind if they benefitted someone somehow.

But hey, atleast Ive tried to do the right thing here.
Just because these old boats are old, doesn't mean they are dumpster material. Gotta re-grow the class somehow.

There used to be a line out the door for the Skinny.