SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:11 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Just found a problem which may help someone. Long story but over the last 3 months my Baby has been getting tail blow outs. Changed everything and last night was running her up without blades in my hand and I found out that the tail rotor would stop occasionally and then re-start! Lots of checking under a magnifying glass and I found out that there are small inserts in the tail rotor socket which contact onto the pins. One of these inserts was loose (it came out with the plug which is how I spotted it) and the other was missing! I found the ‘missing’ insert still on the plug of a tail unit which I swapped out ages ago! No wonder that I had an intermittent contact. New batteries, 2 new tail rotors, new main engine and now I think that I have found the problem, Dohhhhh. Going to hard wire (solder) the tail in tonight and see.
Update:- Just managed to get a) good weather and b) time, to test my Baby outside. Problem solved, tail holds better than it ever did. Put 6 packs through and with a fresh pack (like for the first 2 minutes) I cannot get the tail to break out at all, not even adding so much pitch that you can hear the main rotor speed dropping right down!
The tail rotor is now soldered directly onto the board, I tried soldering a standard micro socket on at first but still had intermittent contact which was odd but taking the socket out has fixed it. Just have the hassle of un-soldering the 2 wires when I want to change the tail rotor in future.
Nice to have my Baby back again and I really enjoyed blasting the packs through doing things that I can’t do
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:23 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Update:- Just managed to get a) good weather and b) time, to test my Baby outside. Problem solved, tail holds better than it ever did. Put 6 packs through and with a fresh pack (like for the first 2 minutes) I cannot get the tail to break out at all, not even adding so much pitch that you can hear the main rotor speed dropping right down!
The tail rotor is now soldered directly onto the board, I tried soldering a standard micro socket on at first but still had intermittent contact which was odd but taking the socket out has fixed it. Just have the hassle of un-soldering the 2 wires when I want to change the tail rotor in future.
Nice to have my Baby back again and I really enjoyed blasting the packs through doing things that I can’t do
I soldered thicker gauge wires to the board, then just have to splice wires instead of solder them to board each time (which i find easier), alternatively could fit connectors to the wires as well
berserkk is offline Find More Posts by berserkk
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
I had the Blade mCPx v2 but after many crashes I decided to write it off and bought a V1 (with the intenion of putting my V2 board on the V1).

So I got the V1 lastnight and I hovered it I notice it is much louder than the v2 when I first got it (and even at the end). There is sort of more of a 'screech' off it.I also noticed the V1 board was much less reactive to the sticks to the point where I checked, and was sure my Dual Rates were on (30% aileron and elevator linear). They weren't.

I put the V2 board on and that solved the problem with the stick reactions but didn't change anything with the screech. It is much louder. I prefer it quieter but can live with it. Can anyone think of any possible reasons? I checked the main gear to make sure it was well set.

Maybe tonight I will replace main shaft, feathering shaft, main gear, and blades one my one to see if I can pinpoint the problem. Although if it is screeching possibly it is a bearing or something?

Thanks in advance.

Also got the Nano lastnight - loving it but crashed it about (20 times) trying inverted in the sitting room - so it is well broken in - well I consider this my Nano learner model so not too many worries there. But will be hoping the mCPx will last me a while this time.
aussiefly is offline Find More Posts by aussiefly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:30 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefKopter View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjR2h0_ew0

I was able to get a video of it real quick. Happens at :31 and :52 . I know my batteries are definitely toast after this tho. They've been sitting and lasted about a minute each a second ago lol
Hey BeefKopter,

My mCPx does the same thing occasionally. I would second the suggestion to check all your connections, but in my case it was definitely bad batteries. It would only do it with a certain battery and when I binned that one in favor of a new battery, the problem couldn't be replicated. It would happen when adding collective and I would get two or three "shutdowns" like that until I eased off the power.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
35 Posts
Should I upgrade my mCPX-V1 5-in-1 board to V2 board?

Hey guys great forum you have here. I hope I might pose a question to you all. I have a mCPX V1. Is it worth upgrading to the V2 5-in-1 AS3X board? The V1 is AS3X as well, just the earlier version. What would I gain by spending $70 to upgrade?

I appreciate your advice Gentlemen,
RB
northernsky is offline Find More Posts by northernsky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Apr 2010
35 Posts
Microheli carbon fiber frame for the mCPX

Gentlemen,

- Any comments on the Microheli carbon fiber frame for the mCPX? I was thinking about making that upgrade, because I end up stripping the tail boom mounting hole on the frame during some tail in crashes. Don't want to have to install the cheap plastic original frame over and over. Anyone know if this CF frame is much heavier than the original stock frame? I don't want to upgrade things if it adds considerable weight.

-Do you guys recommend a 2mm or 3mm solid CF tail boom? Where is best to get one?

Thanks for your input guys,

RB
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
Hey guys great forum you have here. I hope I might pose a question to you all. I have a mCPX V1. Is it worth upgrading to the V2 5-in-1 AS3X board? The V1 is AS3X as well, just the earlier version. What would I gain by spending $70 to upgrade?

I appreciate your advice Gentlemen,
RB
I personally wouldn't pay $70 for a board, when you could purchase a used mcpx v2 used (with a good working board) for a little more money and sell or keep the airframe for spare parts.

The V2 board offer some improvements in tail programming I believe. From feedback on the forums, the difference is not too noticeable for the average pilot from V1 to V2.

If you know how to solder, some will sell their boards with a blown tail motor FET and you can replace the Fet for just a few dollars.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
Gentlemen,

- Any comments on the Microheli carbon fiber frame for the mCPX? I was thinking about making that upgrade, because I end up stripping the tail boom mounting hole on the frame during some tail in crashes. Don't want to have to install the cheap plastic original frame over and over. Anyone know if this CF frame is much heavier than the original stock frame? I don't want to upgrade things if it adds considerable weight.

-Do you guys recommend a 2mm or 3mm solid CF tail boom? Where is best to get one?

Thanks for your input guys,

RB
The Microheli frame is a little heavier than stock, but a little heavier can mean a lot when you're already flying an under powered heli.

I wouldn't waste my money on it. I know someone at our field that fly's one. It is brushless, so it's more powerful than the stock setup. But he broke his frame this past weekend. He also has problems with the tail boom holder on the frame, holding the tail in well.

I considered it myself until I had seen it break and not hold the tail well.

I'm not sure if Xtreme's frame is any better or not, but for a stock setup, the stock frame is probably the best in terms of durability, cost and flyability.

My tail boom mounting hole got stretched from a crash and I simply added a tiny/thin piece of plactic as I slid the boom in place. Holds great.

The stock diameter tail boom is fine. I have used the Blade mcpx solid/extended tail boom and also made my own - cut from solid carbon rod.

I think stock is 2mm if I'm not mistaken.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2010
35 Posts
appreciate the response

I agree, not going to spend $70 for the IC board. V1 AS3X seems to be doing just fine for me.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2010
35 Posts
Still undecided on the CF frame. if it prevents me from having to rebuild it every time the tail boom insert strips out, it might be worth a gram or 2 extra weight. I only add weight if it benefits the flight characteristics, never for chrome bling.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Just flew my mCPX into the fish tank. I blew it off with canned compressed air and dried it with a hair dryer. Fortunately the landing skid came off and pulled the battery connector off. Hopefully, it will fly again.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Just flew my mCPX into the fish tank. I blew it off with canned compressed air and dried it with a hair dryer. Fortunately the landing skid came off and pulled the battery connector off. Hopefully, it will fly again.
Mine doesn't get much more then morning dew on it when I crash. But I have heard of completely submerging this heli and letting it dry out without causing any damage.
MrRcAddict is offline Find More Posts by MrRcAddict
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRcAddict View Post
Mine doesn't get much more then morning dew on it when I crash. But I have heard of completely submerging this heli and letting it dry out without causing any damage.
been there done that one of mine was a submersible
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
I've had my v1 since they came out. After many crashes and rebuilds and mods mine was flying poorly. Erratic flights, lack of control, etc.

Looking it over, here are issues I found, and when addressed, it flew great again:

- the ball joints on the cyclic links of my microheli swash were almost fully backed out. Loose enough to cause cyclic problems. Retightened, but need threadlock. Readjusted cyclic so it is at zero mid stick.

- the plug that attaches to battery had intermittent ground contact. Caused what appeared to be tail blowouts and erratic flight. Carefully cut away the shrinkwrap, resoldered and covered with new shrinkwrap.

- Blades were really out of balance due to cracks that had been superglued. Replaced. Also upgraded to microheli grips.

- tested all batteries for capacity on my ICE charger. Several had poor current under load.

Now it is flying smoothly again. Hope my experience helps others.

Fyi, covering electronics with uncooked rice is a good way to dry them out.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Any recommendations for the best glue to use to repair a snapped landing gear strut? Broken at the root. Epoxy doesn't seem to adhere.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70