Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Brad,

Don't know if I should toy with your ocd, but check out this sweet UM BB gearbox that TODD makes.
Just scroll down on his blog page to EMBER Brushless.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=234845

I have one and it's better than the pics.

rc

You're a veddy veddy bad man!

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:24 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Brad-c,
we all know they're alive and aware of how we treat 'em. Just like a classic car.

This morning I decided to attempt to video some Champ and T-28 take-offs. I had the camera set on a new tripod that I stole off my wife's telescope (ha ha).

I shot the Champ doing an ROG, then decided that the shot was too tight to get any Champ action shots, so i turned to shut-off the cam and when I turned back, the Champ was dive bombing from about 30 feet and SPLAT!
She hit the grass dead-on. I ran over (why do we always RUN to our planes after a crash? It's not like they're bleeding...LOL)
Anyway, it looked fine, but when I re-attached the battery, the elevator servo was whining loudly. And it wasn't working the elevator.

I got home and cut her open to find a 1/4 pie slice of nylon gear missing off the servo!!!
Now I have not one, but TWO Champs down with busted elevator servos.

My LHS has them for $9.99 each. Seems a little steep but I can't seem to find them for less.
Also, I am dreading the attempt to solder these servos into place. It's gonna be a bad train wreck. I wonder if I can get my LHS guy to do it? He's got the holder clamps and giant magnifying lens too.
Mac,
I too have learned the hard way not to look away... I was being swarmed by probably 3 jap hornets when I crashed... Next time, I'll keep my eye on the ball, I don't care if a rattlesnake is chewing on my leg... I'll land the damn plane.

My lhs does soldering, but for the price... you could probably get a nice soldering rig and magnifying glass. Maybe practice on some old computer pcb's or something. You may also need a desolder to suck up the old solder... I dunno never used one.

I'm going to attempt to make a soldering rig with some alligator clips and stiff wire or something like it when it cools off this evening.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Had some windy day fun today

Champ Greenmead about it's max wind 4 19 11.wmv (6 min 5 sec)
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:38 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
678 Posts
Reminds me of the old writer's saw "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
Reminds me of the old writer's saw "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Don
Yes bad day to fly but I was at the store just down the street and had to stop for a flight.. Cold, windy, dark, one of those flying days that your are glad to get back in the truck with everything in one piece and go home...

Been hard to get any good flying days lately around here.. so you just have to make due..
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Bob, you are one determined flyer! I admire that
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Bob, you are one determined flyer! I admire that
I don't think I could/would do this with any other plane. The Champ just lends itself to doing this type of flying with it's high power to weight and light wing loading.. While it gets blown all over the place 99% of the time you can save it with the throttle and rudder.. Much rather be dragging the wing tips on the pavement doing low slow flybys in and out of the fog in a dead calm... But get them days only couple of time a year.. These windy one are way more common...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:14 PM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
T-28 maddness

[Youtube]
Flying about.Touch and go... (0 min 36 sec)
[Youtube]
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
keep on spinning!
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
When our Champs not around the T-28 can be found...;-)

[Youtube]
Flying rc planes in Florida T-28 and Champ Cub with Jakub (3 min 48 sec)
[Youtube]
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,970 Posts
Alright bob, just watched your video. The Champ is one fantastic airplane. But bob you are a STUD my man! Way to go bud, very nice flying. No more whining from me ! Could you post some pixs of you camera setup and equipment info? I've enjoyed your Perspective shots before and would like to try it.. Thanks
Dave
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
man its to windy to fly in Fl right now every day its like a freakin wind tunnel. Anyways, ive been teetering on wich plane i want to get next.

these are the planes im looking at.

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7380

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...2-red-arf.html

theses are the plans im looking at, the other planes are a bit bigger and heavier, wich in Fl winds, would be a good thing. the since its so windy in Fl the ailerons i thjink would help keep the plane under controle better then the supercub would. so idk what u guys think?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:07 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Alright bob, just watched your video. The Champ is one fantastic airplane. But bob you are a STUD my man! Way to go bud, very nice flying. No more whining from me ! Could you post some pixs of you camera setup and equipment info? I've enjoyed your Perspective shots before and would like to try it.. Thanks
Dave
I have a very not expensive set up.. Read about the camera here and follow where they say to get one from,,, then get some Velcro, and a old baseball style hat.. Stick hook Velcro to brim of hat, stick loop Velcro the bottom of camera. Stick camera on hat. Start camera, stick hat on head, fly and watch where you are flying, land, turn off camera.. Down load to computer make movie, upload to U Tube

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1362692&pp=100
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
keep on spinning!
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Minegun2 have a look at this also..

Nice choices there! If your think'in about Nitroplanes check out. Dynam 2.4Ghz Grand Cruiser Twin Engine Brush-less Motor/ Lipo/ESC RTF Ready to Fly Airplane..Great plane, if you are going the Nitroplane way me and my bro both have flow these Jakub crashed his,lol. Mine has over 200 flights on her! J.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
man its to windy to fly in Fl right now every day its like a freakin wind tunnel. Anyways, ive been teetering on wich plane i want to get next.

these are the planes im looking at.

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7380

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...2-red-arf.html

theses are the plans im looking at, the other planes are a bit bigger and heavier, wich in Fl winds, would be a good thing. the since its so windy in Fl the ailerons i thjink would help keep the plane under controle better then the supercub would. so idk what u guys think?
Any of those would be a good 2nd plane.

I would go with one that was EPO and brushless.

I think the super cub has a brushed motor and is overpriced, big time. JMO

HK and NP both have some nice epo high wing trainers and @ a nice price
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,970 Posts
Bob, sure works good, thanks
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer