SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:49 PM
Triad area - NC, USA
Joined Sep 2005
166 Posts
Discussion
Flightlites first use - LED for night flying..

Hey all,

I had ordered some LED's and two controllers including the new "landing controller" from Jeff from flightlites and had them up on the SS today. First we were out doing a little "mock combat" waiting for it go get dark, then did some flying from late dusk to darn near pitch black (was 905p when we left here in NC)... Here are some pictures and a brief video - I had them setup on the Futaba 9CAP as a switch, so they can be switched on and off. There is some other video from my digital camera, but its not the clearest. I'll see if I can edit together a string of some of the best shots and I'll post this tomorrow...

Personal thoughts : They rock, the controllers in particular. cant beat the price and ease of use to have them power on and off from the ground. I do think I need more LED's and the ability to add more lights would be nice (I may need another regular controller to add another few pointing backwards as that was the toughest time to see the plane at a distance). In front of the plane, (with the lights on the TE pointing foward into the underside of the wing) it was awesome, below it was excellent as well, but behind it was the weak spot. They really do radiate well in all directions but down (which in my case was pointed back... Some lights on the LE pointed backwards may help..

- for disclosure: no personal or remote affiliation to flightlites the company or Jeff.. Just a happy customer

Matt
flyinmatt is offline Find More Posts by flyinmatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2006, 03:17 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
NICE!

Another option also...

MINIFLASH Programmable 4 channel LED Controller with R/C controls
Tomapowa is offline Find More Posts by Tomapowa
Old Jun 07, 2006, 03:46 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,938 Posts
Interesting. Sounds incredibly flexible and looks nice and compact.

I added the FlightLites landing light controller to my existing Glowire-equipped night flyer and used it (so far) only for one landing light LED, but this was a great addition to the airplane for night flying in Chilliwack the weekend before last.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC