Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:29 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
399 Posts
Idea
1/24 outdoor clay track - future project

Hello all,
I am hoping to pick the brains of a few pros out there that may have done such a project.
I am investigating the possibility of building a wife-sanctioned clay track in our underused back yard.
The style I'd like to follow is found in the following video
Losi 1/24 Brushless Truggy Lap (1 min 14 sec)

I like that the track is separated by berms and dirt sides instead of hard drainage tubes. This gives me the possibility to turn it into a bashing area as well as a formed track. I have the option of just driving over a bunch of hills or following a route. This gives me and my son a lot more fun options.

My area is about 16x20 feet. I'll get a more exact measurement later on.
I assume if i went with 2 or 3 ft wide lanes I'd be able to pull off a pretty good pattern. I've not decided on any set patterns yet so that is open to suggestions. I do like the crossover idea that is presented in the video.

I live in Ottawa Canada and we do get a fair amount of rain, but at the same time out summers can get into the 90s. winters can get to arctic temperatures.
I'd have to keep in mind drainage when rain happens. I see that lots of clay tracks are covered with a tarp when the possibility of rain is apparent.

Clay/dirt mix is my understanding as the go-to material for a hard surface. What other options do I have? I see some use top-soil and just pack it down well and top it up when it gets eroded. I suppose I have the option of just tilling the dirt in the area and using the dirt I have, and supplementing with wood jumps.

Anyways, that's what I have to start with. I am really in the preliminary planning stages. I've not outlined any sort of plan. I've watched dozens of videos of tracks, and a few instructional videos that I've been able to find.

If you have any yourself I'd love to see them.
I look forward to your input and I'll update this thread with my measurements and any track plans I come up with.

Thanks!

groan is online now Find More Posts by groan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Jul 2014
525 Posts
Hello.. 1st thing try and design your track with a 5 degree slope into a lower drainage area..also there are several things one can add .. from dolomite/calcium/soiltac..and a few others..helps control dust and hold moisture in clay..also.. in a 1/10 scale track most are setup to run max 4 abreast ..
ElectricMann is offline Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:03 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
399 Posts
Thanks EMan,
My yard has a natural slope already but of course I'll have to maintain that in the design. It's not drastic and could actually be easily missed but I know it's there as our basement doesn't flood and we have no standing water.
groan is online now Find More Posts by groan
Old Aug 14, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2014
525 Posts
np.. hang some level lines and do a few measurements just to make sure..
ElectricMann is offline Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:55 PM
Researches but never buys
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Cool. I am really into micro offroad racing. I have been thinking to try the same as you and many others. As I have stated in another post, I am a teenager and my parents may or may not be willing to go to the hardware store so I can buy materials for this sort of thing, because I may forget to tell them why, like I do most of the time, and they will think I am up to no good. Post away, I am listening.
DrGoob is offline Find More Posts by DrGoob
Last edited by DrGoob; Sep 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:30 PM
Researches but never buys
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groan View Post
Clay/dirt mix is my understanding as the go-to material for a hard surface. What other options do I have? I see some use top-soil and just pack it down well and top it up when it gets eroded. I suppose I have the option of just tilling the dirt in the area and using the dirt I have, and supplementing with wood jumps.
I'm no pro, but find a nearby source of a clay like material. In Alaska, USA, where I live most of our mainland water comes from glaciers, and then it makes a very fine sand and then it turns into a clay like substance, called glacier silt. I know you live in Canada, and you may have glaciers and glacier silt, but I know next to nothing about Canada. So don't call me stupid because I don't live there, and I know barely anything about Canada.
DrGoob is offline Find More Posts by DrGoob