HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
The OP is in Canada, not the US.
I was wondering because the US postal service will not carry Lipo's. At least if we try to ship them from out local post office. Not sure how HK gets around this but I expect it will hit them sooner or later.
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:41 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,928 Posts
still big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVille View Post
My Hobbyking battery order is now well over a month and they still haven't been shipped, so that's the last Hobbyking will ever see of my money.

I found this Canadian supplier in Southern ON, Action Hobbies Kingsville, with their own brand called "Just Lipo". Low prices, cheap shipping, and they work just fine for me.

http://store.actionhobbieskingsville...s.asp?cat=2114

checked but still i see a big difference in prices ($39 vs $12)
i tried to find same kind but the closest was this. see:
http://store.actionhobbieskingsville...e=EFLB13503S30
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:45 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
Just to let everyone know, the issue is with air shipment of Lithium based batteries. Need special shipping arrangements thus the high cost. If purchased from local Hobby King warehouse, goods have been shipped from Hong Kong probably by sea. In Australia HK warehouse is in New South Wales and all shipments of LiPo batteries are by road freight. Thus shipping cost is around $10 max. Save up for 2 or 3 units and shipping cost per unit is OK.
teepee54 is offline Find More Posts by teepee54
Old Oct 04, 2013, 06:56 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmize View Post
I was wondering because the US postal service will not carry Lipo's. At least if we try to ship them from out local post office. Not sure how HK gets around this but I expect it will hit them sooner or later.
As far as I know, the only restriction is for shipment out of the US or to APO, FPO addresses. Here's the latest I was able to find on google.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:22 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
hmmm interesting find. I wont pretend to have the attention span to read all the fine print. Is there anything we need to think about for shipping lipos in the US with the USPS?
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Oct 05, 2013, 08:14 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
492 Posts
Quote:
hmmm interesting find. I wont pretend to have the attention span to read all the fine print. Is there anything we need to think about for shipping lipos in the US with the USPS?
For the size batteries we use, probably not- but only if it is ground shipment CONUS.

Funny thing- I ordered 2 LiPos from HK (US) on Friday, and they shipped the same afternoon. Funny thing was they shipped brown truck UPS ground, even though I specified US postal snail mail. WTH?
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Oct 05, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
lipo shipping

There is no problem mailing lipos within the US using USPS. You do need to mark the package that it "contains lithium batteries". You cannot ship them via USPS to international destinations including APO/FPO.

Most inbound shipments from China/Hong Kong etc. are now traveling via UPS. They seem to be the only ones that have worked through the newer international regulations. They cost more than Postal services, but are about the same as FedEx, DHL etc. For the large shipments we bring in it isn't an issue, but I know on many smaller orders, the brokerage fees etc. are pretty high.
ViciousTek is offline Find More Posts by ViciousTek
Old Oct 05, 2013, 12:47 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,002 Posts
Sigh.. I live in Vancouver, I use a US 'Receiving house' for my US purchases
Many (most :-) of which are Free Shipping within lower 48 ...suppliers.
It is a 15 min drive from my home. Fairly convenient
They charge a~$3/package fee.
Suggest locating a similar service in your area OR paying large

Cdn border guards allow purchases below $250... no taxes of Any kind, that alone covers more than the receiving fees
Recently had an Item shipped from Quebec.
Canada post charge was to be ~$30
However : shipping from Quebec to Washington state was $6. unbelievable difference
Perpetually disgruntled cdn postal workers in action
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 05, 2013, 07:23 PM
Canada, ON, Bowmanville
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
No I'm just the other side of Toronto well and a bit north up the 115.
Also for whatever reason the shipping showed up as Fedex, none of the EMS of Singapore options were available.
If it's going by Fedex and I get hit with brokerage charges I WILL not be paying it and sending them right back.
Last time I got hit with brokerage charges they were more than what I bought!
LOL might be time to switch to gas boats and planes......just got rid of the last of the nitro stuff.
Fedex brokerage fees are built into the shipping cost... unlike UPS when they knock on the door with your delivery... you have to bend over and grab your ankles.
MultirotorCanada is offline Find More Posts by MultirotorCanada
Old Oct 05, 2013, 07:27 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
No I'm just the other side of Toronto well and a bit north up the 115.
Also for whatever reason the shipping showed up as Fedex, none of the EMS of Singapore options were available.
If it's going by Fedex and I get hit with brokerage charges I WILL not be paying it and sending them right back.
Last time I got hit with brokerage charges they were more than what I bought!
LOL might be time to switch to gas boats and planes......just got rid of the last of the nitro stuff.
Fedex hit you with the brokerage charges and taxes later, after you already have your package. They send you the bill in the mail.
Sneaky.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 06, 2013, 09:12 AM
Canada, ON, Bowmanville
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Fedex hit you with the brokerage charges and taxes later, after you already have your package. They send you the bill in the mail.
Sneaky.
Taxes yes... unfortunately can't avoid that one. But I've never had a brokerage fee separately... the very reason why I exclusively use Fedex over UPS. Plus the customer service is fantastic.
MultirotorCanada is offline Find More Posts by MultirotorCanada
Old Oct 06, 2013, 09:23 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
IIRC, they are more like Canada Post, small flat fee for brokerage. Not like UPS who basically charge brokerage equal to or greater than the taxes owing
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie