HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:19 AM
Registered User
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
21 Posts
Buzzing through earplugs?

I'm using the video out USB cable (bought from the Mobius website) to connect the Mobius camera to a 600mw tx Immersion RC (UNO5800 V2 5.8GHz RX, fatshark goggles Base model with ear phones).

The plan is to add this setup to a glider to use for thermal soaring and will install an L1D vario. I would like to hear the airflow noise and the vario, so I have wired up a Tiny Mic v2 using the power, ground and white audio cable from the TX. Power for the camera will come from a separate bec, for now the camera is running off it's internal battery to keep things simple.

I am receiving a good picture from the camera but hearing a buzzing noise through the earphone. The buzzing starts only when I turn on the camera, if the whole system is on and the camera off, no buzzing.
I have tried all three ground wires coming out of the camera mini usb cable but no joy. Any help to get rid of the buzzing would be appreciated
Cheers
Paul
PAUL NZ is offline Find More Posts by PAUL NZ
Last edited by PAUL NZ; Sep 17, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:27 PM
Registered User
Dave Pitman's Avatar
Joined Nov 2013
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239025

I need 3 testers to try it out. First 3 responses from this forum get one, I only ask you do an honest review and experiment with it to get the best results.

I'm posting this in other forums so no duplicate winners. US residents only unless you want to pay shipping.
Universal Anti Vibration Camera Mount Review
Dave Pitman is offline Find More Posts by Dave Pitman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2014, 04:19 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
sgrouts's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL NZ View Post
I'm using the video out USB cable (bought from the Mobius website) to connect the Mobius camera to a 600mw tx Immersion RC (UNO5800 V2 5.8GHz RX, fatshark goggles Base model with ear phones).

The plan is to add this setup to a glider to use for thermal soaring and will install an L1D vario. I would like to hear the airflow noise and the vario, so I have wired up a Tiny Mic v2 using the power, ground and white audio cable from the TX. Power for the camera will come from a separate bec, for now the camera is running off it's internal battery to keep things simple.

I am receiving a good picture from the camera but hearing a buzzing noise through the earphone. The buzzing starts only when I turn on the camera, if the whole system is on and the camera off, no buzzing.
I have tried all three ground wires coming out of the camera mini usb cable but no joy. Any help to get rid of the buzzing would be appreciated
Cheers
Paul
I am also using an amplified mic for my flights.
The mics I have tried are the rangevideo and the lowpricerc models.
I am not familiar with the mic you are using. Is it amplified?

So, things to consider.
Give common ground to everything.
Isolate mobius mic output.
Make sure (using a multimeter) that your amplified mic is powered within voltage specs.
If problems persist, make sure that your mic is working by testing it by itself.

Sakis.
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
21 Posts
Hi Sakis,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a link to the Tiny Mic V2 I have.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1380

The sound is perfect with everything switched on apart from the Mobius, when I switch the mobius on the buzzing starts.
I am a bit of an amateur with electronics.
Give common ground to everything. I am not quite sure how to go about this.
I have three sets of wires from the camera;
video/ground
audio/ground
power/ground
I only want to use video/ground

I have wired ground from the Tiny mic and the camera to the one ground on the VTx, does that sound right?

the mic is plugged into;
white/red/black from the VTx

When you say `isolate Mobius mic output', just meaning blank off so as not to short, heat shrink the end?
I don't have a multimeter but the Tiny Mic's specs say 4-15vdc, the VTx outputs 5v and I am powering the VTx with a two cell Lipoly.
Cheers
Paul
PAUL NZ is offline Find More Posts by PAUL NZ
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:25 AM
Registered User
DanT's Avatar
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,202 Posts
Well,, after reading this total post over and over, and watching most of the video's..
I'm more confused then ever!!
I know, I want a Mobius, but what lens???
The standard lens, it seems on video's IMO looks more life like, better color, sharper, and things seem to be closer , ( not further away then they really are!)
Now, the wide lens,, on most video's , it looks horrible on earlier video's !!
Color , is orange , not as sharp , everything looks further or way off .
And another thing that doesn't help , most video's ,,, don't say, what Mobius lens they are using and what software is in the camera???
So,, question,, I want to know if they have fixed the software so the wide lens looks real? Not orange color, and much sharper in focus ??
Thank you all.
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 02:46 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
sgrouts's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
721 Posts
Paul,
everything you wrote that you did, seem right.
And the mic looks exactly like the one I am using.
So,
try switching channels (both on VTx and VRx)
You have some nasty interference travelling through the headphones.
Before doing that, you could try sending the received image+sound to a tv instead of your Goggles and headphones.
Is anything changing?

Other suggestions...

a. you could try lowering the mic's volume.
b. moving the mobius further away form the rest equipment.

Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:15 PM
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Well,, after reading this total post over and over, and watching most of the video's..
I'm more confused then ever!!
I know, I want a Mobius, but what lens???
The standard lens, it seems on video's IMO looks more life like, better color, sharper, and things seem to be closer , ( not further away then they really are!)
Now, the wide lens,, on most video's , it looks horrible on earlier video's !!
Color , is orange , not as sharp , everything looks further or way off .
And another thing that doesn't help , most video's ,,, don't say, what Mobius lens they are using and what software is in the camera???
So,, question,, I want to know if they have fixed the software so the wide lens looks real? Not orange color, and much sharper in focus ??
Thank you all.
Depends on if you prefer the gopro look or the mobius look. I used to use wide angle lens, until I shattered 2 of them in crashes (lens A should be a bit tougher since its not exposed outside the camera). Currently I'm using the A lens because that's the only lens I have right now.

I'm not sure which I like better yet, flying FPV I prefer the wide angle lens (from the very beginning I used fish eye lens for FPV), everything feels more crisp (colors are a bit washed out) and more FOV. While the A lens is flyable and the colors are more vivid, but has a blueish hue (sky looks over saturated like some of the gopro turquoise colors).
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:27 PM
Registered User
f2001m's Avatar
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
I Just inform Banggood to start manufacture Waterproof housing for Mobius cheap and reliable. and they inform MFG. we will see when it will be release.
f2001m is offline Find More Posts by f2001m
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:26 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2013
98 Posts
Mobius, under a CX-20, on a modified clone gombal

I prefer the A lens.
The props rarely enter the frame.
The barrel distortion is not so pronounced.
Fletcher Park, Cleveland, TN (4 min 36 sec)
sureshot__ is online now Find More Posts by sureshot__
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:54 AM
Registered User
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
297 Posts
I prefer the a lens for playing back video, I suspect people using mobius for fpv feed like the b lens for wider view, I'm using a seperate fpv camera to avoid latency.

Colours shouldn't be affected by lens, I suspect thats down to white balance and other settings so you can adjust to taste.

Easy answer is to buy the mobius with b lens and order an extra a lens and sensor so you can swap back and forward and choose yiur favourite, the lens and sensor are easy to swap over, just remember to get an extra lens cap as they differ.
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:37 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackmore View Post
I prefer the a lens for playing back video, I suspect people using mobius for fpv feed like the b lens for wider view, I'm using a seperate fpv camera to avoid latency.

Colours shouldn't be affected by lens, I suspect thats down to white balance and other settings so you can adjust to taste.

Easy answer is to buy the mobius with b lens and order an extra a lens and sensor so you can swap back and forward and choose yiur favourite, the lens and sensor are easy to swap over, just remember to get an extra lens cap as they differ.
^^^ I've been using a standard lens for FPV until now. I was using the 808 D lens and was fine flying but wanted to go back to the Mobius for more detail. I started out with the standard lens, which for playback is my preferred lens, but now that the quads I'm flying are much faster than the toy grade I was mounting them on branches would jump out in front of me (this is not lag). I immediately switched to the wide lens and my crashes were greatly reduced.

The wide lens also reduced color shifting as stated in the main Mobius thread because you have a greater tendency to have both sky and ground in picture. The wide lens makes for less seasickness when you have rapid movement off axis.

Standard lens for slower bigger vehicles and where you want more detail of a particular object and flying LOS or slow FPV

Wide lens for faster action or where you want to get as much background as possible like a chain of mountains (Grand Tetons) and for FPV racing.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:21 AM
Registered User
DanT's Avatar
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,202 Posts
Thank you all.. for your thoughts on this.
Mobius and cables for FPV ordered .
Going with the Standard Lens for now.
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Last edited by DanT; Sep 24, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:10 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Qrome's Avatar
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Going with the Standard Lens for now.
I have both standard lens and wide lens -- for FPV -- the wide lens is the way to go.
This entire video was recorded with the Mobius Wide Lens:

BSRC WASP280 // FPV // Tree path (2 min 33 sec)
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Last edited by Qrome; Sep 28, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Qrome's Avatar
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,868 Posts
Flying after the rain.

Arizona After the Rains FPV Ultralight Flying (1 min 31 sec)
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12 AM
I am flying wild :-)
wildflyer1de's Avatar
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jan 2012
70 Posts
here my mobius in the mountains with standard lens:

Bike & FPV mountain trip to Pendling/Kufstein Mobius ActionCam (3 min 1 sec)
wildflyer1de is offline Find More Posts by wildflyer1de
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FPV'ing successfully using tricopter/tcopters - tell us how you did it? shauntot FPV Talk 7 Apr 24, 2013 02:55 PM
Discussion Question about using computer monitors for FPV Koo FPV Talk 2 Feb 13, 2013 01:13 AM
Discussion OT, for those still on the fence about GoPro cams for your FPV needs. bgnome Dock Talk 9 Sep 19, 2012 12:59 PM
Discussion FPV cam your daughter would approve: Barbie Cam Steph280 FPV Talk 14 Aug 12, 2010 10:09 PM
Discussion Building Clear Canopy's for your FPV cams... IamLegend FPV Talk 2 Nov 16, 2007 02:50 PM