HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:55 AM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Discussion
Is Clearview good?

Right now I would like to get a flight simulator to practice 3D with. I used to use FMS (I know it isn't perfect, but it wasn't bad), but that won't work with my Windows 7 computer. My question is "is Clearview accurate?" I have R/C desk pilot but its physics aren't at all accurate. I was wondering if Clearview would be able to accurately do 3D flight. I used the demo and like what I saw so far, but there weren't any 3D planes to try to see how realistic it is in that regard. Thanks for the help.

JWF
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Just as there are other people who think that R/C Desk Pilot physics are accurate, you will find people who think that ClearView physics are accurate, and you will find people who think ClearView physics are not accurate. I believe ClearView has a demo. Try it for yourself, and see if YOU think the physics are accurate.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:00 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
I tried the demo and was pleased with what I say so far. My question is does the quality stay with the 3D planes? I'm not necessarily looking for top of the line physics, but I want to be able to learn 3D maneuvers without crashing real planes. Is Clearview good enough to learn 3D with?
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,141 Posts
Take a look at this guy CV videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sakuraflinthills
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but it turns out I no longer need to worry about buying a sim. I got FMS to play nice and work on my computer. It was only about the 50th time I tried. I know FMS isn't perfect, but it's good enough to help me get the basics of 3D down before trying it with real planes. Thanks anyway.

JWF
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,141 Posts
Just a word of caution, FMS while superb free simulator, was designed before the 3d era (10 years ago) and will not be the best tool to learn or even get a taste what is to fly 3d with today's models. Since you want a free program, why not try the deck pilot again - simply because FMS does not do 3d at all.

Stefan
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but I've found FMS's newest version to be far better than R/C deskpilot when it comes to 3D. I know it isn't perfect, but it's actually not bad. It mainly depends on which plane you're flying. Some are pretty good, while other's aren't even close. R/C deskpilot doesn't even come close. Plus, in FMS you can edit the planes to make them fly more realistically. Just sharing my experience and observations.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
I did some looking elsewhere and didn't find what I was after. Just lectures and virtual browbeating of newbs (like me) by the outspoken Owner Of All Threads Related To Sims. Still, cringing, I tender the following query:

If I get ClearView does it provide FPV? And, will it work with the Spektrum DX5e radio and USB interface cable that came with my Phoenix V3?

PV3 is a great program for most RC training purposes IMHO, but I long to look at a runway (or carrier or field) from the cockpit and hum motor noises to myself as I work on my lineup and glidepath. With a beer.

If not ClearView, is there a cheap/free downloadable program that might fit the 2 criteria listed above?

Wouldn't dare ask "what's best" since proprietary technobabble and all-too-predictable urinating matches are off-putting on the best of days. Just hoping for some reasonably low-tech observations and preferences by users still enthused with the hobby itself. Thanks in advance fliers!
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,141 Posts
ClearView will not work with Phoenix interface cable, the cable is designed to work with Phoenix only. It will work with any USB interface cable that looks like Game Controller in Windows - for example the cable from here:

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....roducts_id=261

ClearView has first person view (FPV) on all 3d landscapes - for example, Osage Park Track1, 2 and 3 and number of 3d landscapes on CV landscapes page.

Stefan
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
If you have an 1/8" to 1/8" mono cable you can download a free software to interface your transmitter as a joystick. That's what I'm using for FMS. It also worked in the ClearView demo. It takes a little bit to set up, and you have to make sure there is no noise cancellation effects turned on with the microphone, but it is not too difficult to get working.

FMS is a free sim that has a chase view. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I just thought I would mention it.

Here is a link to the SmartPropoPlus software used to interface transmitters. If you decide to use FMS there is virtually no set up. If you want to use a different sim like ClearView there is a little more work and a second program (it's on the same website) you need. Both ways work with FMS, and there are complete setup instructions. I hope this helps.

http://www.smartpropoplus.com/dnn/

JWF
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:00 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
One thing if you decide to go with FMS. It take a little "fixing" if you are using an operating system newer than XP. It isn't hard to do though. This thread walks you right through the process. Just go the the second post. The readme has complete instructions and the rest of the files needed are right there too. Here it is. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374732
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Excellent! Thanks guys. Great ideas. I'll keep trying different things until I can fly from "inside the plane." A co-worker, now preparing for his multi-engine and IFR quals says he doesn't use his old MS Flight Sim anymore and promised to give it to me. He says it's pretty primitive by current standards, which should be fine and satisfy the jones. Simpler the better.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Excellent! Thanks guys. Great ideas. I'll keep trying different things until I can fly from "inside the plane." A co-worker, now preparing for his multi-engine and IFR quals says he doesn't use his old MS Flight Sim anymore and promised to give it to me. He says it's pretty primitive by current standards, which should be fine and satisfy the jones. Simpler the better.
The only simulator that lets you fly from inside the plane is Flightgear. It's open source (thus free) but it simulates proper aircraft, not RC models, so you won't have just 6 channels to control. You will allso need to check the graphics are compatible with your computer

http://www.flightgear.org/
PaulsBA is offline Find More Posts by PaulsBA
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Stefan says Clearview lets you fly from inside the plane, and I know RF allows you to do the same. What do you mean, "The only simulator that lets you fly from inside the plane is Flightgear?" That's bad information.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
There are also many full scale flight sims you can find online for free. If you want to fly from inside the plane full scale sims are a great thing to look at.