HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Good points Integrity. For the first time in my D02S ownership since March, she browned out twice during flights yesterday afternoon (once in the parking lot over a bunch of cars - yikes). Between 80-85 degrees outside temperature. Fortunately she stayed level and maintained altitude but wouldn't respond to any cyclic or elevator. After a few seconds she started responding to commands again and flew the rest of the pack fine. At first I thought it might be distance (my transmitter battery gauge showed two bars which has been fine in the past with rechargeables), but she did the same thing maybe 50-60 feet from me several packs later when I left her hovering for a few seconds.
It sound like the bug of DEVO bi-direction function, upgrade to latest version will help.
ej189 is offline Find More Posts by ej189
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebound View Post
I've got to say that Angry bird canopy is just excellent - as are all your helpfull hints and tips.

I had a little play with Pepakura and managed to get close but its still not as good as yours!

What software are you using to create the original 3D model?

I know you've put a lot of work into this but is there any chance you could post the .PDO file for your Angry Bird?

Also How thick is the tranparency you are printing on. The only clear inkjet sheets I can find are 0.1mm thick which seems a little thin but then again I guess it does save the weight.
Wow, you painted by yourself on the old model.

3D model is form a discontinued software called "Super 5.5" and now may called "3D Mars".
I had change the model form pentagon to hexagon for better looking, but a little harder to paint the body.

Yes the inkjet transparency film is 0.12mm only, but much better in weight and flexibility and also strong enough to hold the air flow and vibration.
The back lighting paint is critical to flexibility, TAMIYA PS spray is not good that will tear off after crash, I had got a very cheap local spray that stick very tight and never tear off.

By the way, there is not anything to be angry, so I call her "Happy Bird" that every time I am so happy to fly her.
Last edited by ej189; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
ej189, I love that angry bird canopy! That looks great!

I've got an old stock canopy that is broken in a few places. Because visibility is a problem with the red/black color, I thought I'd try to see if I could take the paint off and repaint it. I tried acetone... nope. I tried denatured alcohol... nope. I tried lacquer thinner... bingo! It pulls the paint right off. Now, I can paint the inside of the canopy and still have it look nice and shiny. Someday, I'd like to try vacuum forming a new canopy with a different shape. I took these pictures to show how far the frame and receiver go into the canopy. Kind of interesting.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
It sound like the bug of DEVO bi-direction function, upgrade to latest version will help.
I'm using a Devo 7 and my RX dates back to January or February in terms of firmware. I'm not using telemetry. Would the Devo 7 firmware upgrade help in this case?
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a Devo 7 and my RX dates back to January or February in terms of firmware. I'm not using telemetry. Would the Devo 7 firmware upgrade help in this case?
You'll want to update your receiver firmware. For the new v120d02s, there is an rx firmware update from yesterday (8/23/12).
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,235 Posts
my first vid

http://vimeo.com/48177452 enjoy it in all it's unedited goodness. Actually, it's kind of boring I didn't really do anything special besides no crashes I just got my heli back into flying shape and the area i'm flying (in front of the house) just doesn't have much space so i'm being VERY conservative. I do very little 3d anyhow, since i seem to always break stuff and sometimes I just don't feel like fixing.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
For those of you with the 'New' V120, there is a new f/w update: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Question about main rotor blades

Because it was not really clear to me I'd like to ask once again if there are any noticeable differences between the main rotor blades of the old V120D02S and the new model besides different colour ornamentation. I assume there must be a differerence because Walkera is indicating different main rotor diameters for the old model and the new one.

And there is one more thing I'd like to know. Has anyone ever tried main rotor blades with asymmentric blade shape (i. ex. SpinBlades 135) on his V120D02S? They are not useable for 3D but should provide excellent results for sports flying.

Thanks for any answers to my two questions.

Notker
H3liN00B is offline Find More Posts by H3liN00B
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:36 AM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
ej189, I love that angry bird canopy! That looks great!

I've got an old stock canopy that is broken in a few places. Because visibility is a problem with the red/black color, I thought I'd try to see if I could take the paint off and repaint it. I tried acetone... nope. I tried denatured alcohol... nope. I tried lacquer thinner... bingo! It pulls the paint right off. Now, I can paint the inside of the canopy and still have it look nice and shiny. Someday, I'd like to try vacuum forming a new canopy with a different shape. I took these pictures to show how far the frame and receiver go into the canopy. Kind of interesting.
ahahah, well done.A
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Last edited by amartolos; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:52 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
I have both versions, both main and tail, and the only difference I can tell is the lack of paint on the new version. The main blades have the same length, so I have to assume a misprint on their site.

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
Because it was not really clear to me I'd like to ask once again if there are any noticeable differences between the main rotor blades of the old V120D02S and the new model besides different colour ornamentation. I assume there must be a differerence because Walkera is indicating different main rotor diameters for the old model and the new one.

And there is one more thing I'd like to know. Has anyone ever tried main rotor blades with asymmentric blade shape (i. ex. SpinBlades 135) on his V120D02S? They are not useable for 3D but should provide excellent results for sports flying.

Thanks for any answers to my two questions.

Notker
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
Wow, you painted by yourself on the old model.

3D model is form a discontinued software called "Super 5.5" and now may called "3D Mars".
I had change the model form pentagon to hexagon for better looking, but a little harder to paint the body.

Yes the inkjet transparency film is 0.12mm only, but much better in weight and flexibility and also strong enough to hold the air flow and vibration.
The back lighting paint is critical to flexibility, TAMIYA PS spray is not good that will tear off after crash, I had got a very cheap local spray that stick very tight and never tear off.

By the way, there is not anything to be angry, so I call her "Happy Bird" that every time I am so happy to fly her.
You are an artist, ej189. Your ideas are really useful and look really nice. Today I reinforced the feathers support with those washers you mentioned, and I also replaced the main blades for the foam 4G6 ones, they look to weight less than stock ones. Also, I'm using v120d01 canopy instead of v120d02s, because it looks lighter, I'm not able yet to build those gorgeous and light canopies you build. Thanks a lot again for sharing your ideas, they make me learn lots of details, and "make me see"
how to make my heli better.
alfmateos is offline Find More Posts by alfmateos
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
556 Posts
Quick question - is the diameter of a Turbo Ace 215 motor shaft identical to the stock V120D02S motor shaft diameter?
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Not knowing about DEVO7 and there seem no newer firmware after May, cause telemetry function amended in May, maybe you can try yourself like I did on my EVO10. Setting ELEV or AILE in failsafe to lean to the max or min, binding, wait and listen to the sound of servos. It happens once between 5~15 min.
It can turn off telemetry on DEVO10 to avoid that, don't know about devo7.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
I have both versions, both main and tail, and the only difference I can tell is the lack of paint on the new version. The main blades have the same length, so I have to assume a misprint on their site.

Rafa
Speaking of MAIN BLADES.
I just installed my spare blades from my Blade 130X
I t is longer by 3mm (each one) BUT LIGHTER than the Walkeras.
I flew in front of my garage with limited space, but not at the field, so no 3D flights tested with them.
Everything seems great & smooth with no issues noticed.
Lighter blades should be easier for the motor to spin (@ lower pitch). Not sure if the 3mm difference will have a "noticeable" RPM difference, as I have not flown it in a big open space.
The green blades:http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...odID=BLH3716GR
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmateos View Post
You are an artist, ej189. Your ideas are really useful and look really nice. Today I reinforced the feathers support with those washers you mentioned, and I also replaced the main blades for the foam 4G6 ones, they look to weight less than stock ones. Also, I'm using v120d01 canopy instead of v120d02s, because it looks lighter, I'm not able yet to build those gorgeous and light canopies you build. Thanks a lot again for sharing your ideas, they make me learn lots of details, and "make me see"
how to make my heli better.
Thanks for your complement.
The form blades are really light that may improve 3D performance greatly, but they are not durable at all and also get huge air resistance too and naturally unbalanced in weight and pitch angle that needed adjustment on each blade.

A new hope is from 130X blades, lighter than stock blades for 2 gram and that do change 3D performance greatly, much faster cyclic control that I have to lower D/R down very much to hold it on.
The head speed is still the same 4500rpm compare to the stock V120D02S I got it 7 month ago.
According to the length of 130X blades I have lengthen tail boom to avoid it from contact with tail blades.

V120D02S Stock Power With 130X Blades (4 min 58 sec)
Last edited by ej189; Aug 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM.