New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2016, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by KOMET 44
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
3,102 Posts
Discussion
Vintage rc plan Beech 17 Stagger wing plans??

Has anyone built this plan,
Plan #118RC - Beechcraft G-175 "Staggerwing" - 64" Wingspan
-Beautiful Biplane - "The Legend with Wings." Rib for rib, stringer for stringer, cabin detail. A super scale masterpiece.
Hope its as good as described.I was looking for Beech stagger wing.At 64" its bigger than Marutaka but more manageable then Nik Z 80" monster.Thanxs for looking,
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2016, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
1,176 Posts
Can you provide the source and designer?
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old May 13, 2016, 04:29 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
3,102 Posts
Vintagercplans.com
Old May 14, 2016, 11:28 AM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
3,102 Posts
Drawn by robert sweitzer.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by 2michaely
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
493 Posts
The Sweitzer drawn Staggerwing G17S model is one of my shelved but not totally abandoned projects going back to the mid 1980s.

I have a nice fiberglass cowl that I made and some tail feathers; at the time I anticipated using an OS 1.08 2stroke which could have been totally enclosed.

I have only run across one online reference and photo of an actual model built from the Sweitzer plans - as a hanger queen at a show, perhaps Toledo and, a vague reference to it being difficult or little flown.

If this recollection is correct, I suspect one possible hurdle with the plans is that Robert used full size plane decalage/incidence angles (and they are pretty wild: 3degrees positive upper wing, 3and a bit negative stab, etc.) and these likely have to be changed to get successful flying performance in a model.... I know the Ray Dehn version (of an earlier Staggerwing type) that appeared in RCMagazine in Dec/75 used "standard model biplane" angles...... I would find out what angles were used in the large Top Flite ARF version, of which many were flown.

The other thing that stymied me back then was the main landing retract mechanism..... the plans only show "a possibility" .... I computed the retract angle as 96degrees which was not available as a stock item from outfits like Rom-Air back then.

good luck,

Michael in Ontario, Canada
2michaely is online now Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old May 22, 2016, 08:23 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
3,102 Posts
plans are blue line.Very scale.I will look at those numbers on the wing and tail surfaces.Thank you for your advice.
Old Jun 05, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by campbelltf
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
377 Posts
Stephan, I have the the Sweitzer plans and those from RCM Dec 75. I saw you picked up a Marutaka kit at a good price too. Do you have imminent plans to start a build? For such a beautiful plane there seem to be very few build threads.

Tim
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf