Old May 11, 2016, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by little ghost
Joined Feb 2016
463 Posts
Discussion
Hedge trimmer engines

Anyone successfully used a husqvana hedge trimmer engine for a plane? I noticed they are arranged differently from a weedwacker so would need to be rotated. I also have a mc culloch engine from a hedge trimmer that seems to be better electrically at starting
little ghost is offline Find More Posts by little ghost
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2016, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
Problem now is all of the conversion parts have dried up , there was a similar post a few weeks ago
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3
Old May 12, 2016, 01:06 AM
Joined Feb 2016
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post
Problem now is all of the conversion parts have dried up , there was a similar post a few weeks ago
Thanks, you can insert swear words of your choice here [...........................]

Now I have to find something else to do with them! Sorry I hadnt seen the other post! I had read a few about conversions and got all excited for a minuet lol
Old May 12, 2016, 07:28 PM
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
I have a few ryobi,s and two homelites I had been saving to use on trainers for the grandsons and now that I,m ready to use them the parts are gone , not even the guy on eBay
I'll hang onto them , I keep searching ebay for the parts
The ryobi is a good engine , replace the thick crankcase gasket with a very thin one and it can turn an 18x8 wood prop 7000 rpm on the bench
Old May 12, 2016, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
2,352 Posts
That other forum has quite a good section on conversion engines. It is probably best to make your own parts if you have machine tools. If not, you may be able to score some from folks that don't use them any more. McCulloch is out of business now so I would not put much effort in that one. I have one as well. I have been sticking with Homelites, mostly for boats. Not really into the large planes because of storage concerns.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old May 13, 2016, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
3,754 Posts
you really need a lathe or a good friend with a lathe....

there are also quite a few engines out there that have the same crank nose taper as the zenoah G23/26 so you just buy the hub, stick a magnet in it and figure out a bracket for the ignition sensor. the little kawasakis can be done like this, there are others but don't remember the names. also the zenoah engines are used in a lot of other brands of equipment, even italian made/assembled stuff. i've got an alpina leaf blower with a G23 engine in it.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old May 13, 2016, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
16,127 Posts
Several years ago there were some small businesses that specialized in making conversion parts and kits for various utility engines. But with the advent of the cheap RC gas engines from China, it killed their demand for conversion parts off.

As mentioned already, one can use a lathe and maybe a drill press or milling machine to make the parts to convert a engine. It isn't too terribly difficult to do a conversion.

But the problem is performance for the most part. Usually the small gas utility engines are not designed to put out a lot of power. So usually a converted engine tends to be low on output power to turn a propeller. Modifying a utility engine to produce more power may not be worth it.
The time. money and effort to make a good conversion may cost more than to just buy a Rc gas engine to start with. Thus that was what killed the market for conversions.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2016, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2016
463 Posts
I have a small lathe at home and a CNC machine, I also have access at school to large lathes, my machine skills are not tool maker quality but I can do basic stuff.

I didnt know Mc Culloch wasnt in business anymore? the machine is only 3 years old! There is a place in Devon UK that is an agricultural suppliers, they have a large range of spares for mc culloch, i will try and get the address and email them, if they have the carb kits i will order some as they seem to go quickly.
Old May 13, 2016, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
2,352 Posts
Mine needed a coil. It came with two, both were no good. Maybe that is a good thing to pick up. It seems well made otherwise. I have considered glow/gas mix with a glow plug and 1/3 glow - 2/3 gas mix.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old May 13, 2016, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
16,127 Posts
I would just made an adapter for using a gasoline glow plug like OS makes now. Granted the glow ignition isn't as precise as using spark ignition but it works.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2016, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2016
463 Posts
Ok I have the wrong end of the stick here! Which part needs to be modified? I had been assuming the drive part as its on the bottom of the engine??

Where does spark plugs come into it? Or are we talking changing the engine over to glow??

Sorry for the questions but somewhere I have got lost or confused or maybe both! So which bit is normally modified?
Old May 14, 2016, 01:27 PM
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
Trying to make it run on an OS glow/gas plug is really a waste of time and money
The power loss from such a conversion would make the engine almost unusable for its intended purpose
The only part you need to make is a drive hub for the prop
Shave off the excess cooling fins from the flywheel and make a suitable motor mount
And you must use a resistor spark plug like a champion RCJ6Y I believe the number is
Old May 14, 2016, 01:30 PM
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
There are two reasons for shaving the flywheel first is weight , second it would disrupt air flow across the cylinder since it would put off a blast of air in a circular pattern in front of the engine because there is no fan shroud
Old May 14, 2016, 01:31 PM
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
If anybody knows of a prop adapter for a ryobi 700r long shaft let me know please
Old May 14, 2016, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2016
463 Posts
Thats not too bad, I was worried I was missing something. Do you swap the plug so you can dump most of the coil ect from the engine? Oddly enough the Mc culloch is only 18 months and is a fraction of the size of the sthil, I havnt taken it apart from the shroud etc yet but it dosnt seem to have half the gubbins the Sthil has.

Not even sure what size they are yet. Taking the fins down sounds like a job for a wet day and some to kill with a file lol. At least for 20 mins until so fed up doing it that way I see if it will go in the chuck on the lathe.

Engine mounts seem like a nice fun job to get stuck into! What kind of size planes do you guys stick these engines? wing span wise etc?