HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2014, 04:33 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Help!
Jib sheet on joysway focus

Hi,

I'm new to RC Sailing and this forum but I hope someone can help. I've completed a Joysway 1M focus yacht, but when testing the RC, the jib sheet (line from jib which goes below the deck) has become detached. Does anyone have any technical detail regarding the configuration of the lines below deck. I'm assuming the line should attach to the winch / main sheet somehow. Pictures would be a bonus 😀

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,
Paul
hugganp is offline Find More Posts by hugganp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2014, 03:37 PM
Gaithersburg, MD
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Jib Sheet

Your boat has a sail winch, with the main sheet coming off one side of the spool and the jib sheet coming off the spool in the opposite direction. As the servo turns clockwise, the two sheets go out, the same distance, and vice versa. The sheet may go direct to the through-deck fairlead, or it may go to a turning block, or something, before going through the deck to the jib.
alan_k is offline Find More Posts by alan_k
Old Dec 30, 2014, 03:21 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Jib sheet on joysway focus

Hi,

Thanks for the post, but I'm still not sure how the jib sheet attaches to the winch. The end of the main sheet is tied to the drum of the winch (which makes sense). The jib sheet however is a loop as one end is tied to the stern of the boat via a piece of elastic. A pulley at the stern brings the sheet forward as two lines (one side from the elastic end and one from the front of the boat) . There's no obvious way to incorporate the line on the drum! Even after staring at the boat for a long time, I see can't see how the boat was originally set up!

Regards,
Paul
hugganp is offline Find More Posts by hugganp
Old Dec 30, 2014, 04:36 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,074 Posts
A link to a guy who did your learning curve - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=41175.0

If the winch is one of the shrouded types that are becoming common, it will have two segments to the drum, and would likely use one for the main and the other for the jib. Connection is just a matter of poking the end through the hole in the shroud, then through the hole in inner face of the drum on the segment you choose, and tying a nice bulky knot to prevent it pulling back through, which is probably what happened.
From looking at other Joysway boats, the elastic is an anti-tangle device for when you try to let the sails out in light wind.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02