HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,312 Posts
Adam,

Don't use DeoxIT gold. It's intended for gold & other rare-earth contacts. D5 & F5 are what you want. D5 for cleaning & deoxidizing the wiper-arm & resistive strip, and F5 for protecting & rejuvenating the resistive strip & restoring its natural lubricity.

You can get both D5 & F5 in the UK from Stone Audio:

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product...ontact+cleaner

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product...rlube+f5+spray

Regarding the price - well, the 142g aerosol cans will last for years in this application, and the stuff doesn't go bad, so you won't waste any of it. And given the price of replacement UM servos, it will most likely pay for itself over time.

Regarding the Crack Yak - I'm not much of a 3D guy, but most of the 3D guys I know say that it's one of the best 3D trainers you can buy. As E2N noted, their new MXS-C would also be a great choice. They're foam flatties, so assembly should be relatively easy. Remember that bigger usually flies better, so go with the largest version you can afford that's flyable in the space you have. Also remember that as a rule, lightly-loaded 3D flatties don't handle wind & turbulence anywhere near as well as 2s bl UMX planes such as the Beast 3D & Sbach 3D - both of which laugh at 15-20 MPH winds & light turbulence, when flown by a skilled pilot.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 30, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:29 AM
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
700 Posts
Add somethingThanks E2N and Joel, regarding the 3D foamie, it was so I can learn the stick movements slower and have time to think about what I am doing so that I can get it in my head what to do and then try to do the same on the UMs as they are so fast I find myself just going along for the ride with no time to relax! I would like 1 that can go outside in a light breeze in the summer but if I can learn all I need from Phoenix then I will leave the flattie for now.
Thanks also for the link to the Deoxit, how regular shall I give them a spray while using them as much as poss?
Thanks again

Adam
Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76
Last edited by Adamskido76; Mar 31, 2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Add something
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:35 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
5,263 Posts
Everyone should own a profile 3D, it should be compulsory I think there is a lot of training (and fun!!) to be had from the type.
Learning even basic 3D teaches you a lot about using the rudder properly.

I've got myself a Crack Yak Mini, though I've not assembled it yet, for this exact reason. I'm not really bothered about 3D flying - I class myself as better at hard 2D

That being said, I'm all for developing my technique and if I learn how to hover my Viking 280 then that will be a bonus!!!

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:44 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
220 Posts
I went back to recheck my CG and I am finding that I need to move my Nanotech 300 all the way back. Manually trimmed the elevator again. I love the way it is flying now! UM Stryker was my favorite so far, but now I feel Yak flies more precise than Stryker. I also feel it is faster than Stryker, but again I think I need to change the motor on my Stryker or check the motor connections after my last crash on my beat up Stryker.
rccraze is offline Find More Posts by rccraze
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:36 AM
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Adam,

The Sbach 3D is not really easier or more difficult to fly than the Yak. Rather, it just flies differently. It's more of a precision aerobatic/pattern plane - despite the '3D' suffix. As such, it doesn't have the huge control surfaces of the Yak. Wing-loading is also a bit higher,, so it comes in a bit faster & doesn't feel as floaty. But it grooves better at high speed, and cuts through wind & turbulence quite a bit better than the Yak. However, the Sbach's nose is not as crash-resistant, so it's less forgiving if you nose it in hard. It still does great high-alpha, though, so you can bring it in nose-high & land fairly slowly - especially with the SFGs on.

Joel
+1

l'll enjoy flying the Sbach in a lot more wind conditions compared to the Yak. The Yak offers a lower speed 'on the wing' flight envelope with a better vertical pull.

While there is a lot of overlap, the way they fly leaves me tending to fly the Yak in closer in at slower speeds for the majority of a pack while the Sbach will spend more time at high speed using lots of sky for a umx.
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:39 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,312 Posts
Adam,

I give the actuators a shot of D5 whenever they start to get jittery, and then follow-up with a shot of F5 every few cleanings.

Kitetricks,

Same here. I tend to fly the Yak closer-in & do more torquey, on-the-prop maneuvers with it. The Sbach is my 'big-air' UMX plane. It's also a great little pylon racer - especially on 3s!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 31, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 01:19 PM
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
700 Posts
Oh I thought you used the F5 after the D5 every time? How do you apply it? do you use an aplicator? and can it harm the foam? So do I give it a shot and then fire her up and move all control surfaces? Can I use it on my umx Stryker and the Sport Cub S as well? Man that stuff is 50 inc postage! Ouch that is the hardest 1 to swallow yet! Man I could get a Beast or Sbach for a few more pennies haha oh well in for a penny in for a pound...

I have a noob question guy's, aren't I supposed to set up my DX6 differently if these are digital servos or am I being dumb? I mean it works fine but I don't know if I have it set up right or is there a different digital that they are on about in the settings????......
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:36 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,312 Posts
DeoxIT won't hurt the foam or plastic. Each can comes with a spray wand. For cleaning/deoxidizing, just spray a quick shot of D5 into the slot where the wiper-arm is, cycle the servo a number of times, give it another quick shot, and cycle it a few more times. When using F5, just give it a single quick shot & cycle the servo a few times. That's all there is to it.

There is no hard & fast rule regarding how often to use D5 or F5. It depends upon your flying environment. If you usually fly in a dusty environment and/or your runway is dirt or gravel, you'll need to clean the servos more often. If you always fly off clean asphalt or concrete, you won't need to clean them very often. I use D5 whenever a servo starts to get jittery, and I follow-up with F5 every so often. You can use F5 more often if you wish, but overuse tends to create a buildup of gunk. But the buildup can be easily removed with D5, so it's not a big deal. Even if the servos don't get jittery, I give 'em a shot of D5 and follow-up with F5 every 50 flights or so - just for good measure.

Regarding your DX6 question - I'm not familiar with Spektrum transmitters. I fly all of my RC aircraft with a module-based Futaba 10CHP. I pop-in a Spektrum DM8 module when I want to fly the BNF stuff. Hopefully, someone else will chime-in.

Joel
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:51 PM
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
700 Posts
I will be flying off mainly grass/asphalt and hope to not need it too much but if I don't get it and it happens I will kick myself so I must bite the bullet not literally as even though we don't have bullets(legal) over here I would imagine that to be quite dangerous? I was a cub scout when I was a nipper and our motto was be prepared so I have to cover all bases, I have a stack of stuff I will probably never use in the R/C cupboard but just in case....
Old Mar 31, 2015, 04:59 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,312 Posts
Well, if you're into listening to music & have a home stereo, you can also use DeoxIt on any scratchy volume/tone controls or switches you may have. That's what it was originally designed for. I've been using it for decades to clean & recondition pots & switches in my home stereo, ham radio, and pro-audio/recording gear.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
347 Posts
Adam,
I've always just used the standard settings. From what I have gathered most fliers would not notice a difference
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM
United Kingdom, Harwich
Joined Nov 2014
700 Posts
Thank's Joel and Kitetricks, I have everything ready and am off flying......damm it, wind for 3 more days.....Cheers guy's

Adam