HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:49 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
609 Posts
Action Figures

One of my pet peeves is seeing a beautifully detailed woody cruising around the lake on a sunny afternoon with no driver! Makes it a little hard to say that the model appears real. In 1:6 scale, finding scale people is no problem...Barbie and friends work great. At 1:8 scale, it is more challenging. Finding realistic 9 inch action figures that don't look like mutants, monsters or clowns takes some work. I landed on a group of figures from Star Trek that were not too bad, and only cost $10/each on line.
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
9,716 Posts
Now These parts truly "take the cake".....................

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Mar 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:16 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
609 Posts
Once I had the figures I began checking out the interior dimensions; seat height, steering wheel position, leg room, etc.. I found two major issues. My front seat was two high and there was not enough leg room in the front cockpit. Since I did not have drawings to work from, I was forced to make a best guess as to these dimensions. The original owner, Dick Locke, was a very short man. Remember the pillow in the drivers seat? I believe the current owner, Lee Andersen, is around 6'-7". My figures are 6'-0" at scale. The photos in the Classic Boating article give a good idea of how the passengers should look sitting in the boat. I reworked my foot rest to provide more leg room. I also lowered the support for the front seat cushion. The figure now sits nicely in the cockpit, and his hands reach the steering wheel and gear shift. I will have to remake the seat back to accommodate the lower cushion.
Last edited by GPR; Mar 13, 2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added current view of cockpit floor.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:10 AM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
615 Posts
Wow, Greg; not only are you a master craftsman, you are now a plastic surgeon! Cool!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:44 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,963 Posts
Greg-
Glad that Bails v.2 worked out!

Unlike wrought brass which picks up work hardening in its processing, cast brass should be dead soft out of the mold. But this cast brass seems to be a pretty hard alloy, harder than whatever K&S supplies. That should help to keep the bails from deforming under load... but I'd still take it easy on them!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:28 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
609 Posts
Pat,
I noticed that the brass was fairly tough to drill. Some areas seemed harder than others. In removing the original bail, I bent it to about 90 degrees. It took the bend without any sign of impending failure, even when I straightened it out again. I'll be careful, but if a mishap occurs I'll just order replacement parts! A nice option in this age of use and dispose!