HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:24 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,938 Posts
That water skiing plane video is NZ's Dave Phillips again. He's the only one in NZ to ever do this.... maybe the world ? Tiger Moths are not fast planes and this is extremely dangerous. I have seen videos of other planes doing it but they either have enormous wheels or fly a good deal faster. Planes like Harvards for example. The key difference is with the faster plane you could hold the plane down on the water and not be able to push the wheels into the water. The plane would truly be water skiing. However I don't think that would be the case with the Tiger Moth. I think those wheels will be almost sucking the plane in.
That's the danger in trying to do this with a stock Dynam TM. Sounds way to risky for me but good luck guys.
Also... TM's do not have brakes. The tail skid is their brake.

Brent.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:33 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
5,095 Posts
If you guys are going to try the water skipping your TM's, why not try it on a big puddle after a good rain. Better trying it in a few inches of water instead of a few feet

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:51 PM
teaching to learn
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Oct 2013
3,416 Posts
Good suggestion k, but i think I'm going to just go for the gusto.
millerr74 is offline Find More Posts by millerr74
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:32 PM
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Feb 2013
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerr74 View Post
Good suggestion k, but i think I'm going to just go for the gusto.
I'm guessing the science teacher knows something we don't. Hmm...

Or...maybe he just has really big...

Name: imagesOAZLR8VY.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 12.4 KB
Description:

Either way...I'm looking forward to the video!!

Adam
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:40 PM
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Feb 2013
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
That water skiing plane video is NZ's Dave Phillips again. He's the only one in NZ to ever do this.... maybe the world ? Tiger Moths are not fast planes and this is extremely dangerous. I have seen videos of other planes doing it but they either have enormous wheels or fly a good deal faster. Planes like Harvards for example. The key difference is with the faster plane you could hold the plane down on the water and not be able to push the wheels into the water. The plane would truly be water skiing. However I don't think that would be the case with the Tiger Moth. I think those wheels will be almost sucking the plane in.
That's the danger in trying to do this with a stock Dynam TM. Sounds way to risky for me but good luck guys.
Also... TM's do not have brakes. The tail skid is their brake.

Brent.
Brent,

The Bush pilots are using the brakes...and with those big tundra tires they do act as you said...just like a Ski. Seems much easier to do it this way...you are right the Tiger Moth doesn't have brakes...I didn't even think of that. Much harder to do it the way Dave did in the TM...I noticed he could just barely allow the tires to touch while the bush pilot method of locking the wheels allows them to expose a much larger percentage of the tire to the water...still hard and dangerous, but nothing like the feat it is to do it in a Tiger Moth. That's some piece of flying there my friend.

Adam
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:46 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
2,105 Posts
Hi AS,

Imho, you've hit the nail ..... the trick is to just touch/ skim the water at a very shallow angle and not dunk it in water as Australian and Canadian bush pilots do.

May be slightly off topic but Barnes Wallis' bouncing bombs in WWII needed to spin at around 500 rpm for max bounce and distance between hops.

I agree with Kaikokid that wider tyres might help too.

@ millerr 74,
If you were not 8,000 miles away from me , I'd have joined you.

Happy flying.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang View Post
Brent,

The Bush pilots are using the brakes...and with those big tundra tires they do act as you said...just like a Ski. Seems much easier to do it this way...you are right the Tiger Moth doesn't have brakes...I didn't even think of that. Much harder to do it the way Dave did in the TM...I noticed he could just barely allow the tires to touch while the bush pilot method of locking the wheels allows them to expose a much larger percentage of the tire to the water...still hard and dangerous, but nothing like the feat it is to do it in a Tiger Moth. That's some piece of flying there my friend.

Adam
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Last edited by CurrentDude; Mar 31, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:01 AM
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,079 Posts
Hey CD ..thanx for the kind morale boost I don't consider myself an rc ace as I love the learning process of honing my skill and getting even more competent ..I find every flight brings a lesson that drives me on every flight to correct and learn from...i have noticed in myself how my confidence grew to a stage that now when u fly I do so in a manner that I am trying to display the aircraft and enjoy the display from a observation perspective....every successful flight on landing still leaves me with the same heart race and feeling of acheivment as I have had from day 1 ...I allways used to have solely belly landers but as my collection has expanded over the years (22 airframes now) wife restricted! Else it would b more like 50
So with most models now having undercarriage it became a new challenge to finish that display of with a good scale landing..and this is where my concentration lies ...
Jeff
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Old Mar 31, 2015, 04:12 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
814 Posts
Have tried touching wheels on the sim most of the time it doesn't end well. Have floats for my Cutwing supper cub but haven't tried them out yet, haven't water proofed yet.
Jeff.....................
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Mar 31, 2015, 04:50 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
2,105 Posts
Hi jiggz,
Thanx for explaining your situation. As you may have already discovered, 90 % flying is in the mindset. So if you feel you're not upto it at this stage then you must not take the challenge.

You can always try it at some other point in thr future.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Hey CD ..thanx for the kind morale boost I don't consider myself an rc ace as I love the learning process of honing my skill and getting even more competent ..I find every flight brings a lesson that drives me on every flight to correct and learn from...i have noticed in myself how my confidence grew to a stage that now when u fly I do so in a manner that I am trying to display the aircraft and enjoy the display from a observation perspective....every successful flight on landing still leaves me with the same heart race and feeling of acheivment as I have had from day 1 ...I allways used to have solely belly landers but as my collection has expanded over the years (22 airframes now) wife restricted! Else it would b more like 50
So with most models now having undercarriage it became a new challenge to finish that display of with a good scale landing..and this is where my concentration lies ...
Jeff
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude