Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Cool
Stockmaritime "3X1" 110cm Carbon Racer

Stockmaritime "3X1" racing yacht.
110cm carbon hull, impressive design.
Very agile with light-wind sails.
Pointing ability is excellent!

Stockmaritime 3x1 Carbon Racing Yacht: Light-Wind Sail Performance (2 min 1 sec)

hst is offline Find More Posts by hst
Last edited by hst; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,402 Posts
Nice looking boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:52 AM
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Nice looking boat.
Performs very well with medium-wind sails (BF wind scale 4):
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
My neighbour has been looking at buying a 3x1 it looks like it was going fast with little wind what is the quality like ?
darynxbcoupe is offline Find More Posts by darynxbcoupe
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:27 AM
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darynxbcoupe View Post
My neighbour has been looking at buying a 3x1 it looks like it was going fast with little wind what is the quality like ?
The fun really begins when the wind picks up!
Very agile and responsive, it has no bad habits even in gusty wind.

Built quality is excellent: the RTR kit is fully assembled, with servos installed, rigging completed.
The keel even comes with the painted ballast bulb.
The carbon hull is really shiny.

The design of 3X1 is simple but effective, with some clever details.
It lives up to the expectations of German precise engineering.

Unlike some mass-produced sailboats, 3X1 is fully tuned out of the box.
No need of DIY improving...no need to upgrade...(remember the money and effort spent on improving some stock sailboat kits?)

The last time I felt such satisfaction was when I bought Vladimir Model's Supra-E F5J electric sailplane.
Stockmaritime produces a real winner with 3X1 racer: it sails really well!

I'm editing a video of my 3X1 sailing in stronger wind. Will post it when done.

Last edited by hst; Dec 17, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
534 Posts
I sure hope that I am wrong in converting Euros to US dollors but the 3x at 888.00 Euro cost $1172.16 US dollars. I used the rate of 1 Euro equals $1.32. At that price its way out of my leauge.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
I sure hope that I am wrong in converting Euros to US dollors but the 3x at 888.00 Euro cost $1172.16 US dollars. I used the rate of 1 Euro equals $1.32. At that price its way out of my leauge.
International order is VAT free.
RTR version without 2.4G set is around 670 Euro.
Construction kit is much cheaper.

A good quality IOM completed boat will cost far more than that.

3X1 is a 110cm boat, hard to find a similar class on current market.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:22 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
586 Posts
@hst:

You seem to know a lot about this boat and its pricing. Do you have some connection with the manufacturer perhaps?
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
hst
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
@hst:

You seem to know a lot about this boat and its pricing. Do you have some connection with the manufacturer perhaps?
I just bought the boat, across half of the globe...
I'm just one of the happy guys who enjoy sailing:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hongshuteng?feature=mhee

Sharing="connected with manufacturer" ???

This is holiday season...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hst View Post
This is holiday season...
Buy a commercial ad - and support this website.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:38 PM
toyboatskipper
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Hey, whats up with you??? Just some infos about a new boat - just like several other threads here about other products and you call for "buy an ad and support the forum"....

???

HST, I do not know him, has more than just these few posts in this forum - so I see no need for claiming him to be a paid product pusher from Stockmaritime.

Btw: I have also one 3x1.
And so far I can confirm the informations HST have given and I also have no trade connections with Stockmaritime either - just for anybody possible concerns ,-)

Nice boat with an interesting/attractive optical apperance - at least in my eyes. A somewhat very radical rig layout with a very thin 7 mm carbon tube mast which has much flex in it to depower in gusts in comparison to what someone may be used from common classes e.g. IOM boats.

Performance is different to e.g. somewhat smaller IOM boats: 3x1 has a very light displacement keel with only 1,6 kg at about only 30 cm fin length. Not very much for a boat of 110 cm lengths. Thus the boat heals a lot. The A-rig is just for very little wind, even the B is sometimes to much, when an IOM still can sail with A-rig. In my eyes there is need to have all sail suits allowed by class rules and available from stockmaritime. Even complete with all sails the boat with radio (2,4 GHz) will be around 1100 EUR – a IOM RTR with its three class rigs is far more costly…

Up-wind performance suffers from light weight keel but downwind / running the boat can become fast. Boat sails very smooth and relaxed and except in gusts with large A rig offers no problems for beginners.
All in all in my eyes a boat for relaxed show sailing, not for being pressed to run as quick as possible around a triangle course in comparison with highly developed class boats e.g. IOM / M boats.
On my sailing trials it attracted bystanders more than “traditional” sail boats due to the very colourful appearance and the design of the rig.

Hull is well made from vacuum formed carbon laminate. Rig looks more handmade and is very simple in construction with only two pair of shrouds. Needs a lot of mast bend to achieve good mainsail shape and enough jibstay tension! (In the pics above the main sail does not fit to the mast as the mast is not bend enough)

Stockmaritime have fitted a heay duty Hitec servo for sheet control in combination with a heavy 5 zell 4,5 Ah batterie. It works under all tests without any problems, but add about 500g to the boats weight.

The boat is indeed quite water tight and can be sailed in salt water and offshore without problems (when sail suit is according to wind strenght)

Easy to sail, easy to start, easy to pack. Not bad at all - but nothing for experienced ambitionated racers from IOM / M boats

Source for informations is quite simple: If you look at their website www.stockmaritime.com ---> http://www.stockmaritime.com/modellb...hp?modellbau/5 and understand german language you will find several given infos about the boat and its versions to buy it. So no secrets behind ,-). As the company is small you can also order what you want beside what they offer in their website officially. They are flexibel enough to make individual orders, from just basic parts up to individual coloured ready to go boats (e.g. for companys for advertisement events)

Here the english version of the website - on a quick look it seems there are given same infos as the german one:

http://www.stockmaritime.com/modellb...php?lang=en_GB

Stockmaritime is well known not only in GER for their tuned Kyosho Seawinds and Fortunes and have sold very high numbers of these boats to full size skippers at our big European big boat fairs / exhibitions over several years.
They have started with own designs just some years ago and in my eyes there can be seen a steady progress towards nice boats. However their main aspect seems still to give a very eye catching attractive optical appearances while sailing abilities may suffer more or less from this (e.g. just too much sail area on their boats). But thats just my very own opinion, made over some years ,-)

Regards
Thomas
Thomas MM GER15 is offline Find More Posts by Thomas MM GER15
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Very good review of the boat, Thomas. Thanks.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
toyboatskipper
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Some pics of sailing in comparison with an IOM IKON (Bantock-Sailetc from about 1998 outfashioned but still not bad, even current IOM seems as they can handle fresh winds better without nosediving...)

Pics were taken while sailing 3x1, IKON was sailed by a friend. Sorry for quality, all pics came out without much sharpness and a bit noisy.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
toyboatskipper
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Some other pics, also taken by single hand sailing the boat ,-)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
toyboatskipper
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
And in comparison with a MM.

MM fitted with a 600g lead weight, 3x1 with C-suit - unfortunately the wind decreased already...