HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
Discussion
new toy - enigma

I usually don't post things like this but, I just picked up a new enigma from soaring usa, and after staring at her for about a week I have decided to share her with my cyberspace friends. I think that you may understand why I enjoy looking at a plane so much even though my wife thinks that I am a little off...

From what I was told this plane is part of a new batch that have a full carbon wing, not just a dbox like previous ones, I can say that the wing is super stiff and feels really solid. The fuse feels really solid as well. Anyway I think I am in love, even though I haven't flown her yet but I figured 2 things would happen if I posted a couple of pics. 1. I would get it rigged quicker because someone would hammer me for letting it sit around for a week and not starting on it. 2. You guys might enjoy seeing my new ride.

Also I want to send a big thanks to Alex, Annette, Bob, and Mike at SUSA - all of them had helped my friend and I with something by the time that we left. Also if you have weak will power don't go there, they have way too many cool things just lying around on tables ie. abolutes, surprises, raketenwurms, etc...

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
1. What are you doing letting that plane just lay around
2. Very sweet looking plane.

I have thought many times about one of these. It looks nice and fast.

What power system are you going to use? One of these days I will get into that place and hopefully get out.

Keep posting on the build and then we want to see it fly!

By the way my wife thinks the same thing....
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:31 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Guilty as well.Sits around for about a month or so.
Have no time to start,just collecting parts.
Almost Ready to Fly.
Confirming that wing is AWESOMELY stiff.Quality is great.Wipers all over
Compared to Zoom,Enigma has longer fuse and slightly larger and MUCH stronger tail boom end. 4S 4900 fits flash with wing.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:46 AM
USA, UT, Park City
Joined Jul 2006
970 Posts
Yuri,

You've been holdng out on me.....
utcadman is offline Find More Posts by utcadman
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:05 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
I have been holding out on myself as well....
Yuri
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:03 AM
Chatham, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2006
191 Posts
I just ordered one yesterday. Waiting for green and red, which Bob claims is "in transit."
IRONMIKEII is offline Find More Posts by IRONMIKEII
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2004
352 Posts
I just had one green/red.

Very visible in the clouds, but i unfortunately killed it on a climb.
f5b@wannabe is offline Find More Posts by f5b@wannabe
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:36 AM
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
831 Posts
Quote:
I just had one green/red.
Very visible in the clouds
I had a green/red one too, but I found I could not see it against a clear blue sky. So I painted large areas yellow. Wish they'd sent me a yellow one to begin with.
Resurgam is offline Find More Posts by Resurgam
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:31 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5b@wannabe

, but i unfortunately killed it on a climb.

Share Your story ,please.
Yuri.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
utcadman - Thanks for getting on me about not starting on it, as well as the props for it being so pretty, I am going to get moving on her this week - I hoped / knew someone would make me feel guilty about it laying around so I would get her rigged. As far as what lump is going into her, I am putting a Neu 1509/1.5D/6.7/S with a CC 125 and I picked up a Neu Energy 4S 4300 battery while I was shopping, and will pick up another couple as soon as they get them in. I also have a 16x17 and a 16x16 prop and a +7 RFM twisted yoke spinner. I plan on giving the 16x16 prop a go first and then try the 16x17, I worked out the motor stuff with Bob over at SUSA while I was there. We were thinking it should go pretty well with this setup...

Dbox, I thought I was bad having it lay around for a week, but a month?!! Holy smokes how do you keep from starting on it? Do you just stare at it like I sit and stare at mine, thinking how can I cut air holes into an airframe this pretty... (by the way the above heckling is all in good nature)

And now you f5b, how do you kill one of these things in a climb??!!!! The airframe feels as stiff as a some of the dedicated ds planes I have that are heavy on the carbon and light on glass, and did I mention stiff? Please share the story.

I'll keep you posted on the build and try to post a couple of pics as well.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. happy halloween
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:04 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Hey Chris,great power set up.
I did not start mine,cause I had to finish and kill Kamelot first.Than I started 2X carbon Bird ,almost done BTW.And just then I will concentrate on Enigma .Will go all way down to 1512/1D on 4S 4900.At some point I was thinking to make it light with 1509/1D and 3S,feels like it has to be light plane.
But 1512 sits on the shelf,salvaged from Kamelot crash.....
Lenny says that I will be happy with this plane so will You.
I just looked at servo covers and they are not flat,so instead of D60 for aelerons I will try HS 56 or Jr 285 and Futaba 3150 for flaps.
D-60 still have a very small slope in the gears.Hs 56 or Jrs do not have any.
Good news about D-60 they come with bigger servo arms now.
Chris,what servos You are going to use ?
Yuri.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,075 Posts
Setting around for a hold month isn't that like a cardinal sin, or something. Then again I'm not religious, I actualy had kits set for nearly a year then decide to sell them at a loss, that would probably qualify as criminaly insane.

How do these things handle would you be able to in between moments of ballisticness be able to mellow out for a few seconds, I used to have one of those Nan model 2 meter Spirits, or what ever, and I'd managed to tip stall it pretty readily, it would pull out easy enough compared to others, but it would catch me off gaurd sometimes.

Both the D60's and D4.7's seem to have beefier arms lately, with is nice, I realy have to magnetize my small screw driver again those screws are way to small for my apelike hands.

Take care, Ploof
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:52 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Look at the VIDEO on Espritmodel.com
ZB flies Enigma on pathetick Hacker B40 10 L.
And it flies great,even with this motor and 14 10 prop.
Yuri.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
Hi Yuri,

I am going to use JR DS 168's on the flaps and ailerons, I am planning on bottom rigging both of them, I like a positive setup with short, fat (4/40) pushrods going to semi large horns, this setup seems to keep flutter to a minimum when things get going...

I haven't figured out the elevator servo yet, a d60 seems like the obvious choice but I have another DS 168 looking for a home, I just am not sure if I have enough vaseline and a big enough shoe horn to squeeze it into the tail.

Oh and by the way you win, I thought I was using enough power but a 1512/1D trumps my 1509/1.5D, I am pretty sure that neither one of our planes are going to be underpowered. That said, I can't wait to hear how yours goes!

Chris
Old Nov 01, 2007, 01:01 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Wow,Chris.Jr 168s and 4/40 ,You are serious guy Flutter,right,I have had it in my Big Ceres even with 4/40 and it was scary on 10Lb diving from 1000' plane.
I dont see any alternatives for D-60 in the tail.It is not good ,though.
1mm slope is not acceptable for this king of plane.I dont really know what to do with it.One solution to have a cover for elevator with small bulge.
Chris,thank you for starting this thread ,You inspired me and I allready cut all sevocovers to fit.
Yuri.