Old Oct 09, 2013, 09:18 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
New Product
Marco Polo - Long Range Lost model finder

Hi All

I have been using the Roameo pet finder for my lost model activities and recently heard about the Marco Polo Pet finder system and bought one to try.

http://eurekaproducts.com/

The TRx that sits on your model is dormant with battery power for a month or more. When you want to find it you ping the TRx from your hand set using a radio signal (no GPS or subscriptions). The TRx responds only when pinged so it will not interfere when flying. The response will give a % strength indicator and a direction to head in.

The direction indicator is very accurate as you get in close and will get you you within a few feet. My Roameo will get you to a 20ft radius which is normally good enough but Marco is better.

My TRx has been taken out of the pet case and only weighs about 10g. Here is a real world, ground test, vid that I made walking around an urban part of Los Angeles. I had a signal to about half a mile. It would no doubt be further out in the country.

Marco Polo range test 2/3 (16 min 51 sec)

and another in the park comparing Marco Polo with Roameo

Roameo vs Marco Polo - Park test (5 min 18 sec)

Any one else using it? I think it is looking like an excellent product for us crashers.

phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:34 PM
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Apr 2011
180 Posts
I hope it works!

Hi. I just lost my 450 and have the Marco Polo system on it. I was about 1000ft high and the battery on my Fat Shark goggles just quit! Couldnj't visualize it and hit failsafe... but didn't come home. Only had an hour to drive around and it never picked up a signal. I plan to search some more tonight... I'll keep you posted!
cschrein is offline Find More Posts by cschrein
Old Nov 21, 2013, 06:05 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Unlucky. From a 1000ft up it could have flown a very long way away especially as it did not RTH. Is it a Naza?

You might try rotating the ground unit of the Marco Polo when scanning. I mean turn it on its side or upside down etc. It may get a stronger signal when the antennas line up with each other.

What frequency FPV gear was on it? 900 Mhz would interfere but as the main battery dies you will also have less interference.

good luck...phil
Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:55 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
I like it but still too pricey. There should be something much less expensive and work just as well
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:27 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Ok let us all know when you have created it :-) Saying something should exist does not make it so. Someone has to actually design it, manufacture it and market it. If you have plans to do that let us know.

I understand you would like to pay less but if you consider it insurance for a $1000 - $2000 flying machine it is very much good value.
on the day that it saves you.

phil
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:33 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
I like it but still too pricey. There should be something much less expensive and work just as well
It would be nice if there were, but maybe its a bit more expensive to develop and make than you might think.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:36 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Ok let us all know when you have created it :-) Saying something should exist does not make it so. Someone has to actually design it, manufacture it and market it. If you have plans to do that let us know.

I understand you would like to pay less but if you consider it insurance for a $1000 - $2000 flying machine it is very much good value.
on the day that it saves you.

phil
I have no plans to make one but if I have time I'll find another option and post it up. I have seen a few that may or may not work just a matter of locating them, no pun intended and post a link. Be easy...
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Dec 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,330 Posts
There are plenty of trackers out there, they have been used for Wildlife tracking for years. They tend not to be cheap.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:28 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,330 Posts
One thing to be careful of, is the claims made by the purveyors of locators.

The Loc8tor for instance;

http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/model-planes

400ft for a model plane. In ideal situations maybe, plane stuck in a tree where you have a clear view of it (?), maybe you do get 400ft. In practice lose your plane in your own back garden and Loc8tor light probably wont detect it at the front of the house.

With the radio transmitter described here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1949624

(and a similar one sold by FMkit)

You can hear enough of the beacon to get a fix on with a UHF handheld receiver and handheld yagi (not expensive) at line of sight 2,200km.

But guess what the range goes down to in an urban area and forrest situation, where a lot of out planes get lost ?

Around 1-3km is the answer, a lot lot less than 2,200km.

That is why 'real world' tests suuch as those by Captain3D are so useful.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:38 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Hi All

I have been using the Roameo pet finder for my lost model activities and recently heard about the Marco Polo Pet finder system and bought one to try.

phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschrein View Post
Hi. I just lost my 450 and have the Marco Polo system on it. I was about 1000ft high and the battery on my Fat Shark goggles just quit! Couldnj't visualize it and hit failsafe... but didn't come home. Only had an hour to drive around and it never picked up a signal. I plan to search some more tonight... I'll keep you posted!
So....what's the verdict??? I just lost a plane and don't plan to do it again. The Marco Polo system seems to hit all the buttons.

How come you guys haven't given any feedback - inquiring minds need to know
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Aug 09, 2014, 11:39 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
My Marco Polo saved the day again just last weekend. I love it.

I still have my Roameo unit in a box. If you pay for shipping I will send it to you. Otherwise go for the marco Polo. I have not heard of anything better yet.

Anyone?
phil
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:02 AM
United States, ID, Pocatello
Joined Apr 2013
601 Posts
I love my Marco Polo, gives me peace of mind, a fail safe when all things fail. I like it too because its works on RF 900mhz band, instead of like a gps/cell, that relies on cell/data coverage.

30 day standby battery, and runs for days in beacon mode, like 7 or 8 I forget, and stays RF quiet until you ping it, so no interference.
_Milo_ is offline Find More Posts by _Milo_
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:15 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2014
361 Posts
Looks handy. But chances are, the transmitter will be damaged or destroyed if your machine goes so far away that you need this.

cschrein - Your machine may have crashed and destroyed the transmitter with it.
PsychopathRC is offline Find More Posts by PsychopathRC
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:49 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychopathRC View Post
Looks handy. But chances are, the transmitter will be damaged or destroyed if your machine goes so far away that you need this.

You have never (obviously) crashed in bushes just out of sight (of touch-down), or in a farmers field of corn....or my favorite - neck high weeds
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:22 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychopathRC View Post

Only crashing into water would make it useless.