HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer View Post
NitroVein
Of course it all has to do with the quality of the engine, "motor management" system and measurements! For some modellers it's all a matter of guessing not even knowing what kind of propeller to be used on some kind of a worn out engine.
TF
True, it's all a matter of using the right thing at the right time. Air, water and fire is pretty much universal, engines are not!..
Some like to test a lot, some like to play it safe, a lot. Great hobby no matter how you look at it!
NitroVein is offline Find More Posts by NitroVein
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroVein View Post
It should be noted that lower rpm increases the need for higher Absolute Viscosity, and in the opposite a high rpm engine will only suffer from increased drag if the Absolute Viscosity is to high.
It's also a difference in the needed viscosity in different parts of the engine, it's on all of these parts that castor oil is great due to lower VI, it adapts well.
So it cracks me up when some oil-mfg brags about their high VI in their synthetic oil for glow engines, makes me wonder if they should be doing what they're doing...
At their defense, they might be trying to set a new world record in how low you can go in the oil mix, then it's okay i guess, as then you need the oil to keep a high viscosity.

And to not start a war again; I wouldn't be afraid to use a full synthetic fuel, but I don't see any point in doing so. I wouldn't use an all castor fuel either.
They work great together, by my standards.
I use all castor oil as my lube at 20%. Have been for at least 23 years. I fly mostly 4 cycle engines and castor prevents rust in the lower end as well as the cam area.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post
I use all castor oil as my lube at 20%. Have been for at least 23 years. I fly mostly 4 cycle engines and castor prevents rust in the lower end as well as the cam area.
That's was the norm for many years and there are still engines from yesteryear's that run well today, so it's probably nothing to wrong with it.

From my own testing I have found that you can get more of everything by using a good mix of oil. This isn't a black/white scenario, it's two sides of the same coin.
And just to be clear, I do 99% of my fuel test in car, they have a higher demand in getting it right. But it would be wrong not to use that knowledge for my airplane engines also, even if they would work fine with something else.
NitroVein is offline Find More Posts by NitroVein
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,980 Posts
I will just make comment :

Biggest moisture problem with Glow Fuel is Methanol.

Second biggest moisture problem with Glow Fuel is Castor Oil.

Corrosion in engines - even Glow Engines are usually from results of combustion and remnants of fuel ...

I'll now retire to the corner ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:59 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I will just make comment :

Biggest moisture problem with Glow Fuel is Methanol.

Second biggest moisture problem with Glow Fuel is Castor Oil.

Corrosion in engines - even Glow Engines are usually from results of combustion and remnants of fuel ...

I'll now retire to the corner ...

Nigel
Nigel,

I will join you in the corner.
It appears you have pretty well concluded what I was thinking in post #8.

Keeping the insides oiled is certainly a good practice.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,133 Posts
As for "Old School", the manufacturer of my engine says to "add this small bottle of dark blue oil to 1 gallon of gasoline".

My Homelite chainsaw has been in operation for 42 years.

Following the manufacturer's instructions pays off.

Questions ?

Why is the oil blue ?
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
When I was working on snowmobile engines, there was an older one with a Sachs engine. Thing was , it had ball brgs for the main brgs and needle roller for the the rod crank journal. BUT the wristpin had a bronze/ brass bushing. It called for 20 to 1 mix but the guy wanted to try the new high tech 40 to 1 mixes. He didn't get through the first tank of gas when the bushing siezed up tighter than a boars arse at flytime.
Just more food for thought.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
When I was working on snowmobile engines, there was an older one with a Sachs engine. Thing was , it had ball brgs for the main brgs and needle roller for the the rod crank journal. BUT the wristpin had a bronze/ brass bushing. It called for 20 to 1 mix but the guy wanted to try the new high tech 40 to 1 mixes. He didn't get through the first tank of gas when the bushing siezed up tighter than a boars arse at flytime.
Just more food for thought.

Gord.
Various Outboard companies around the world have all tried low oil content fuel mixes ... and most returned to tried and tested levels ... and then finally the 4str took over ...

One Co. in particular - dear to UK boating hearts and to military ... was the old Seagull outboard ... originally on 15:1 ... then 20:1 ... then 25:1 ... They came out with modified carbs etc for 50:1 ... but fell back to the 25:1 even with the modified carbs.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
I still have an old Seagull still in the military wooden crate from WW2 made in 1942. One of my prize motor posessions. All the paper work to go with it from day one. It has been used.
When I worked for a Mercury marina in 1970, they were just coming out with heavy duty outboard oil with the solvents to keep them clean. What happened with the older motors with a lot of built up carbon and varnish, the solvent would break it loose and it would go through the engine piling up on the pistons and siezing them up. New engines were fine with it as there was no buildup. Cost Mercury big bucks for that one. This was with the genuine Quicksilver Merc oil.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2