Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:30 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
782 Posts
Discussion
Noob and his experiences

Hi all.
Wife got me a little(micro) coaxial 4 ch IR heli for xmas. I'm 43 and dreamed of stuff like this as a 'younger me'. I got quite good(I thought) and decided to take it for a go outside. It flew off of it's own accord with a mere puff of wind. I got it back but the blades broke, one motor died.. So I got a V911. Loved it, flew it outside at every opportunity. Annoyed the wife with it. Broke it. Fixed it. Flew it more. Wondered why it wouldn't fly upside down.. Snapped the flybar and then discovered that NZ is not the place for micro heli parts.. Discovered this place. Thank you all. Great site.

First question. I want more challenge now than a V911 and wouldn't mind something for outside but still micro, for now. Some guidance here would be a lot of help
Second question. How do you sleep? I can't think of anything except flying, fixing, flying rc helicopters..
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:17 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
#1 On the Walkera side (Maybe someone else can speak for Blade), you've got the MiniCP and SuperCP. Both are collective pitch and same size. Main difference is that one (MiniCP) supports telemetry so the controller (aka TX) has the voltage and temperature displayed on it. The other (SuperCP) has no telemetry, and the servos are wired directly to the circuitboard, but it's cheaper.

If you're going to get one, you'll have to stock up on a few parts. the parts that broke the most when i was learning were Main motors, main blades, and landing skids. I guarantee you'll break them, so buy spares along with your unit. The motors especially are quite fragile, you can't run them for more than 5 minutes straight or you'll risk them burning out, or melt the plastic frame

Learning wise, be prepared for hours and hours of practice. It'll take you over a month (maybe two) of systematic practice before you can even consider going outside. Sounds too long? Heck, i've heard of people taking as long as three months learning to hover their 450, micros shortened the time it takes to learn not because it's easier, but because we can pile on more flight hours. You can fly 10 times a day with a micro, vs 1-3 times with a 450 (Be sure to stock up on spare motors tho).

#2 Write down you thoughts and post in RC Groups. The newbie section is where you make your own thread and document your experiences

It took me five months to go from a coaxial, to a 450, and the hardest trick i learned in all that time, is learning to hover a micro. Hovering the heli at exactly eye level, walking around it and checking each part for vibrations, and not even needing to think about the controller to keep it still. That took about four months. Of course, i'm also doing fast forward flight by then, but it took that long for one of the absolute basics, Orientation, to really become instinctual.

May seem a long time, but it certainly isn't boring
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have the Blade MCPx and Blade Nano. I don't think the MCPx is as capable of 3D as the MiniCP is, the tail doesn't hold as well. But for learning and sport flying, it's hard to beat. It's very durable and gives much longer flight times than Walkera micros. It does require a good programmable transmitter, like a DX6i. Which adds to the cost. The Blade Nano is an improvement on the MCPx, but it's harder to fly than the MCPx.

You can also buy a Walkera Genius. The price is right and the motors last longer than the motors on any other Walkera micro.

WL Toys makes a very affordable V922 model, which is probably easier to obtain in your location than any of these others. But it does need a better transmitter. You can read more about it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795419

Both Hajile and I are recommending CP helis, because after mastering the V911, there isn't much to be gained from buying another FP heli, outside of a quad. But, lots of people don't like them.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
Let me chime in here. I have the Mcpx and the Ncpx with the dx6i programmable transmitter. In addition, i have the FBL100 of which the v922 is similar. The one thing that is important is the transmitter.
The transmitter that comes stock will be a constant problem. I bought a
"programmable transmitter" for the fbl100. The one thing that will bite you is that transmitter has no expo capabilities. Flying with it is much more of a chore.
That is my .02.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
I am also a beginner to electric helicopters although I have flown gliders, slope soarers for 40 years. I fly mode 4 very rare but I am converting to mode 2 because of the availability of transmitters. Started on a little coaxial heli and now trying to master Xieda 9958 which is great fun. Into my second set of blades and tail motor. At 65 I find the repairs hard on the eyes but this teaches me to fly more carefully. Great fun in the house. Killed one vase and some flowers so far. The fun continues.
treff is offline Find More Posts by treff
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
782 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies. I think I am leaning to the Walkera Mini CP because of the Devo TX it comes with.
My poor little v911 has a loose wire. Waiting for my 2nd hand solo pro to turn up and a friend with experience of pcb's and soldering wires i can't really see.

What an addictive hobby this has become :-)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
782 Posts
Here's another question.. There's sure to be more but for now..
What's the deal with TX's??? What will bind to a Devo7(or variants) and what will bind to a Dx6(or variants) Will either bind to my Solo Pro? It would make so much sense to me to have a programmable TX that you bind any heli you own - or you buy heli's that will bind to your nice TX. Since that is the actual thing your controlling everything via. Is this so or am I missing something?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
You generally pick a controller first and buy the helicopters compatible to it. So if you buy a SuperCP and a Devo transmitter, your next helicopters are going to be MiniCP, GeniusCP, MasterCP, v450, v200, Ladybird, HotenX, etc. If you're going with blade mcpx and a DX transmitter, you're going to get an mQX, 120x, 130x, 300x, 450x, etc.

Once you decide to go with a large heli like a 450 or bigger, you can take any helicopter regardless of brand, and get a compatible receiver that you then put on the heli and connect the electronics to. Both DX and Devo has receivers with standard ports for the servo leads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You will find the DX6i is very popular in the USA, due to Horizon (Blade) products being sold at almost every hobby shop, so you get local and Horizon customer support. Outside of the USA, Walkera is more popular. There is something called Deviation, where some hackers have expanded Devo transmitter software to cover a number of protocols. I think it's something you use at your own risk, but it's out there. http://www.deviationtx.com/

For resale Spectrum DX transmitters hold their value very well for a long time. Walkera transmitters are hard to sell because they change so often and compatibility is poor.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
782 Posts
Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell Blade stuff is not largely available in NZ compared to Walkera and Nine Eagles.
I am led to believe the Devo 7 is a bit of a pita to programme. Why is this?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The Devo 7 is actually a holdover from the previous generation, with some upgrades. Terminology is odd and navigation is clumsy, not at all user friendly. The user manual is poor and programmable transmitters really need one. It generally takes Walkera at least 3 tries to get things right and the customers are their beta testers.

Nine Eagles is unpredictable, especially since they have been bought out. They have many nearly identical models that cover exactly the same market segment, they have no presence at all in other market segments, some of their most appealing models have only had very limited releases, or none at all, quality varies all over the map and you can't tell which models are the new ones and which are the old ones because they renamed them.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
Erm... how do i explain it...

Using a Devo7 is like trying to setup this

Using a calculator.

And i can't call the doc it comes with a manual, it's a dictionary. Cool! I know the pressing down moves me to the next item... so how do i program it? There was someone here nice enough to post a version of the manual with notes on the side to explain what the options actually do.

It's still a decent transmitter once you know how the menus work, but it's got a steep learning curve.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
782 Posts
Blimey. I would never live long enough to work that out..Is a 7e easier or just the same?

I think I need to step up to the size where you can swap out the rx to whatever tx you've decided on and use my micro's for indoor fun and whizzing round the garden in favourable weather. Rather than hoping a micro will bind to a nice tx, fly outdoors and have replaceable parts that I can replace.. Perhaps I should go for a Master CP for outside and then get a super cp BNF for indoors..
Last edited by Cannafish; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
It's better, but i've gotten attached to the extra switches on the Devo7
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
Blimey. I would never live long enough to work that out..Is a 7e easier or just the same?

I think I need to step up to the size where you can swap out the rx to whatever tx you've decided on and use my micro's for indoor fun and whizzing round the garden in favourable weather. Rather than hoping a micro will bind to a nice tx, fly outdoors and have replaceable parts that I can replace.. Perhaps I should go for a Master CP for outside and then get a super cp BNF for indoors..
Welcome to the hobby! Seems like you're having fun .

Believe it or not, the little CPs, such as Walkera Genius Cp (v1/v2), Mini CP, and Super CP fly amazingly well in wind, considering there size. I've flown my GCP in 5-10mph winds (rough estimate!). Yes, the Devo (Devention) 7 is a pain to figure out in the beginning, but now I can flip through the menu really quickly. Tom, who wrote a review on the GCP and a Mini CP, helped me alot when learning how to use the Devo 7.

With small helicopters come small repair jobs when one crashes. Unfortunately, with CP helis, it's not very cheap to buy another heli when a part breaks. I don't have a problem, because I'm still a high-schooler, but you will want to factor this in too. A plus with micro CP helis, is that there is not enough momentum due to a lack of mass (momentum=mass x velocity), so it's more forgiving to crashes.

Anyway, the decision is yours for which heli you want.

Recently ordered a Devo 7e + Super CP RTF. I hear the Devo 7e has less range (doesn't really matter with tiny helis) compared to the Devo 7. However, the user interface is a lot better, and the throttle hold ("power cut") and FMOD (flight mode/idle up) switches can be switched. Less switches, but otherwise it seems like a great transmitter.

In case you still don't get the difference between all the remotes/receivers, I'll try to explain it here for you. An incredibly popular transmitter series, Spektrum, is only compatible with Spektrum receivers. Devention(Devo) transmitters will not connect to Spektrum receivers, and Spektrum transmitters will not bind with Devo receivers(or any other brand receiver made for a different remote/transmitter). There are plenty of remote brands out there, such as FlySky, Turnigy, Spektrum, Futaba... the list goes on!

Transmitter=TX
Receiver=RX

What will bind to your Solo Pro? I'm not an owner of a Solo Pro, but I believe it will bind to a Turnigy 9X Transmitter-don't quote me on this!

So when buying a fancy transmitter that is pricey, find one that will benefit you. This hobby is expensive >.< . Try to buy RCs that are compatible to the one transmitter(Assuming it has model memory- can store multiple RCs in one TX) that you have so you don't have to buy multiple transmitters. Saves one a lot of money.

Hope this wasn't too confusing
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202