HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2014, 01:11 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
I recently bought another one of these heads, and I was disappointed to still find the blade holder spacers are too thin or the feathering shift is too long, allowing the blade holders to be able to move about 0.5mm on the spindle shaft.

Also, one of the orange blade holder arms is not anodized properly and is a much lighter orange than the other blade holder arm.

beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2014, 02:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
361 Posts
Completely ironic but I spent my evening shimming this very head, its pretty beefy but it def needs washers added to both sides of the feathering shaft, and furthermore I wouldnt run the plastic ball links in any other position other that butted up tight to the dfc arm, as you will eventually encounter play over a few dozen flights. I'd recommend making up the difference in your swash to servo linklage. I somewhat feel as though Tarot has abandoned Heli for Multi rotor..
Guess ya gotta go where the money is.
Rodo1268 is online now Find More Posts by Rodo1268
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:34 PM
AMA 1046820
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo1268 View Post
Completely ironic but I spent my evening shimming this very head, its pretty beefy but it def needs washers added to both sides of the feathering shaft, and furthermore I wouldnt run the plastic ball links in any other position other that butted up tight to the dfc arm, as you will eventually encounter play over a few dozen flights. I'd recommend making up the difference in your swash to servo linklage. I somewhat feel as though Tarot has abandoned Heli for Multi rotor..
Guess ya gotta go where the money is.
I have noticed that one of the 450 split lock DFC heads I got did in fact have two 0.5mm washers on each blade grip to take up slack if they had the newer feathering shaft in them. Though one of them I got did not, and it had all kinds of slop. The fourth one had the old style feathering shaft with the step-down, and it was fine with one washer on each blade grip.

The Anodizing is never the same on any of the orange ones that I have seen, and almost all of the orange head blocks I have had did not have the index marks for zero pitch on the head block, save for one. I've also noticed that the hole for the head stopper button is never true and is way off center.

Tarot had announced a new 450 sized heli being developed sometime around Dec 2013. I have a feeling that VWINRC took that over since Tarot was making parts for them around that time, and it became the 450TS.

I really wish Tarot would step back into the ring on the helicopter market a bit. I like their replacement frames and tails for the Logo 600.

It would be really nice to see a 600 or 700 sized Tarot helicopter, but since they discontinued the 500, I believe 450 is all you're going to get from them, and even that is looking grim in light of their success with Multirotor models.
Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alees Rush 750 Evo Build log.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 01:04 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
508 Posts
I finally got one! It is fine. I am disappointed in the Tarot finish of the silver parts such as the main and tail blocks for the v2 and pro ordered in the past couple months.
It looks like there was cleaning solution solids (?) left on the metal that are difficult to get off. I might post a new thread. They are cheap, but not 'that' cheap. They look really crappy, but can be buffed out with a wheel.

It was two different orders from two different shops spread over a couple months, but am not sure what to expect from cheap stuff anymore. It looks like a process error that could be easily addressed, but they are installed and I made my bed.

Edit, Doh yeah, no index marks on the head block also per Powerdyne.

I think the head is cool, but cheap is getting worse, or my tastes are changing :?
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778
Last edited by Dave778; Sep 13, 2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:10 AM
Joined Jun 2014
508 Posts
In any case, I finally bought one because I thought they looked soo cool. It seems to be fine and will take the place of my two HK brand DFC head assemblies that I took hours to make the thrust bearings not bind by cutting dampers.

Why do I buy this stuff??? I have an Align 450DFC that is perfect. I think I need to do this to myself for some reason. I love building these little problematic mismatched cheap helis. They fly pretty well and it is somewhat fun to shop and buy for. I guess it is a hobby.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
361 Posts
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave778 View Post
In any case, I finally bought one because I thought they looked soo cool. It seems to be fine and will take the place of my two HK brand DFC head assemblies that I took hours to make the thrust bearings not bind by cutting dampers.

Why do I buy this stuff??? I have an Align 450DFC that is perfect. I think I need to do this to myself for some reason. I love building these little problematic mismatched cheap helis. They fly pretty well and it is somewhat fun to shop and buy for. I guess it is a hobby.
I feel ya
Rodo1268 is online now Find More Posts by Rodo1268
Old Sep 13, 2014, 03:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
I don't know guys... I have two of them, and granted compared to my X5, X6 and X7. I hardly ever fly my 450s anymore. But the two Tarot DFC rotors I have don't have any real issues other than the linkage grub bolt at the tip of the DFC arm. New or old, you'll want to keep the plastic linkage tip tightened SLAP down against the CNC of the DFC arm or else some slop develops in the threads of the CNC arm and the plastic linkage can wiggle. This adversely effects the precision, response and phasing of the rotor head.

But honestly the two i bought don't seem to have any where near the cosmetic issues or slop people have been reporting lately. But I did buy mine quite a while back (i don't remember when but i think it is in this thread).

When i look at my Black and Orange rotor OR my all Silver rotor, I don't see many cosmetic issues, or many issues period. The anodizing of the colors on my rotors are all close enough that if it is different, human eyes can't tell. At least mine can't. Also both my black and silver rotors have the blade zeroing markers on the grips and rotor.

I also don't have any slop on the spindle shaft that people were talking about. I am using the correct, newer version spindle for this version DFC rotor. The one that is completely straight and smooth for the Tarot DFC head. Tarot part number: TL48009-02. Of course i bought about 5 packs of spindles back when i got the rotors, so mine were produced a long time ago just like my rotors. Perhaps Tarot's quality has just dropped off.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2014
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I don't know guys... I have two of them, and granted compared to my X5, X6 and X7. I hardly ever fly my 450s anymore. But the two Tarot DFC rotors I have don't have any real issues other than the linkage grub bolt at the tip of the DFC arm. New or old, you'll want to keep the plastic linkage tip tightened SLAP down against the CNC of the DFC arm or else some slop develops in the threads of the CNC arm and the plastic linkage can wiggle. This adversely effects the precision, response and phasing of the rotor head.
Thanks for the tip. I hope it doesn't need much shimming.

The finish on the head is fine, but I got two of the Tarot 450pro main blocks and the one that is installed was worse than this. It is a tenacious white substance that took me 15 minutes to buff out with red jewelers rouge. Anyone know what it is?
PS, It wouldn't come off with solvents or water based cleaners either.
Last edited by Dave778; Sep 13, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave778 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on it. I hope it doesn't need much shimming.

The finish on the head is fine, but I got two of the Tarot 450pro main blocks and the one that is installed was worse than this. It is a tenacious white substance that took me 15 minutes to buff out with red jewelers rouge. Anyone know what it is?
PS, It wouldn't come off with solvents or water based cleaners either.
That is weird, i don't specifically know what it is. But i know that anodizing is a controlled chemical process. So that could be some kind of remnant chemical that they never washed away and it hardened or something like that. When you removed the questionable substance, was there color under it?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:12 PM
Joined Jun 2014
508 Posts
Quote:
That is weird, i don't specifically know what it is. But i know that anodizing is a controlled chemical process. So that could be some kind of remnant chemical that they never washed away and it hardened or something like that. When you removed the questionable substance, was there color under it?
It didn't seem corrosive or reactive, it was shiny aluminum underneath.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:01 PM
AMA 1046820
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,150 Posts
Quote:

But honestly the two i bought don't seem to have any where near the cosmetic issues or slop people have been reporting lately. But I did buy mine quite a while back (i don't remember when but i think it is in this thread).

When i look at my Black and Orange rotor OR my all Silver rotor, I don't see many cosmetic issues, or many issues period. The anodizing of the colors on my rotors are all close enough that if it is different, human eyes can't tell. At least mine can't. Also both my black and silver rotors have the blade zeroing markers on the grips and rotor.

I also don't have any slop on the spindle shaft that people were talking about. I am using the correct, newer version spindle for this version DFC rotor. The one that is completely straight and smooth for the Tarot DFC head. Tarot part number: TL48009-02. Of course i bought about 5 packs of spindles back when i got the rotors, so mine were produced a long time ago just like my rotors. Perhaps Tarot's quality has just dropped off.
With the orange anodizing, If all of your head components are orange including the swash, you can definitely notice differences in color on some of the heads. Others of the same not so much. Orange is a tougher color to get consistency from in anodizing from run to run. Some turn out darker or lighter than others.

I suspect that some people have gotten head blocks that came from a different anodizing batch than the grips.

The orange head block index marks may have been something that Tarot decided not to pursue further due to some of them not quite lining up properly due to them being screened on. I have received two with, and two without the marks, purchased from different sources. The two without had the newer packaging with the red foil embossed cards.

As far as the feathering shafts, I think there may be some variance in the tool runout on different batches as well. I have bought three packs of TL48009-02 in the same order in the past, and went through four of the six received, finding that some had slop while others didn't.

I agree on the linkage arms. You really do have to bottom them out to keep the slop away. However, I think that is part of the "intended design" with the linkages being made of a bit softer material that is supposed to give in a crash. Though, I have crashed these heads a few times, and never had one break. The mounting screw always bent before the linkages gave.
Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alees Rush 750 Evo Build log.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Oh well, i guess when the times comes, it might be time to ditch the 2 frankenheli 450s that i have now and never fly. Maybe I'll try to sell them and get a X3 or Goblin 380 when it is available. Or maybe I should just stick to my bigger helicopters and save myself the money it costs to build a new kit. That seems like the cheaper road to take at this juncture.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Jun 2014
508 Posts
Unfortunately, I have become allergic to balsa, and I can't build a new SAB 500+ every few months, so I have taken to 'upgrading' my 450s My 500, 550 and 700 are solid and I don't want to change them much except for packs. Maybe a motor or blades.

Quads don't really interest me that much. Maybe I'll concentrate on a tricopter. There's probably 6 months development there.
Last edited by Dave778; Sep 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: I'll probably end up with 3 or 4 tricopters though