HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
Discussion
How to measure voltage on an Eflite/Parkzone 1 cell lipo?

I am looking to find out if there is any way (at least any relatively easy way) to measure the voltage of an Eflite/Parkzone 1cell lipo? The type of lipos I am talking about are the ones that are for the Eflite mSR and mCX/2 as well as most or all of the Parkzone Ultra Micro planes.

I would like to be able to check the voltage after flying to see what its at so I know whether I can fly a little longer or if I should stop sooner. The obvious problem with these lipos are the very small connector it uses. Has anyone figured out a way to do it or have any ideas? Thanks
techman28 is offline Find More Posts by techman28
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:44 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
A dvm would be the easiest way. Radio Shack has some really inexpensive pocket sized ones.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
A dvm would be the easiest way. Radio Shack has some really inexpensive pocket sized ones.
If I use a dvm, do you know which part of the connector I should put the red test lead on and which I should put the black test lead on? Thanks again.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
A dvm would be the easiest way
but the contacts are so small and so close together that it is a bear to use DVM probes without shorting the cell.

The safet way to check the voltage using a DVM would be to purchase an extension,cut it into and use the female end (the one the battery pugs into) with te exposed ends stripped and seperated or better yet with a suitable connector on it. I use a DVM with a spare charger out put oi to check my oyer LiPolys ( 4mm bullets to Deans Ultra). A male Deans on the modified (cut) extension works great.

HK sells the Micro extensions.

Back when I ordered mine

Quote:
Hobby King has some JST- XH extensions listed , 5 for $1.98.

One of the photos here shows part of an extension I added to my mSR

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16
Charles

Quote:
If I use a dvm, do you know which part of the connector I should put the red test lead on and which I should put the black test lead on?
With a digital DVM it reall makes no difference. If the contacts(leads) are reversed then you will see a negative voltage. Try it on a battery such as a AA and see what I mean.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Dec 01, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
With a digital DVM it reall makes no difference.
And an analog DVM wouldn't be a DVM.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:51 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Thanks Charles, I looked at a couple pics but couldnt actually tell how close together they are and havent really handled any of these. An extension with bullets on it to plug directly in to the dvm would be the safest way to do it.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
And an analog DVM wouldn't be a DVM.
The D stands for digital so no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltmet...tal_voltmeters
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
Would this be a good enough DVM to get? - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=4214667#
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:21 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
That would should be fine for what you are doing.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
I just bought a new Digital Multimeter but I've never really used one before. What setting should I put it at to read the voltage of a 1 cell lipo? Also which "input" should I put the red probe in for my purposes (as you can see in the picture, there are two red probe options) Here is the pic of the one I bought.

Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:51 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,765 Posts
It should be about 4V which is more than 2V and less than 20V so set the meter to 20 DCV (volts). Use the RH connector marked V for volts.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
It should be about 4V which is more than 2V and less than 20V so set the meter to 20 DCV (volts). Use the RH connector marked V for volts.

Steve
Ok, thanks for the info.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Goggle is your friend. It took me less than 1 minute to find this

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/meter.htm#digital
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:01 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,105 Posts
I found this picuture in the RTF forum to help you measure the lipo's voltage safely.

Open up the charger like the picture below. (remove the 4 screws under the rubber feet.)

After placing the lipo in the charger slot, place the red probe of your DVM on the red wire connection point and the black probe on the black wire connection point. Make sure you do not let the red/black probes touch each other while measure the voltage.

Name: SukhoiChargerValues.jpg
Views: 251
Size: 45.5 KB
Description:

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I found this picuture in the RTF forum to help you measure the lipo's voltage safely.

Open up the charger like the picture below. (remove the 4 screws under the rubber feet.)

After placing the lipo in the charger slot, place the red probe of your DVM on the red wire connection point and the black probe on the black wire connection point. Make sure you do not let the red/black probes touch each other while measure the voltage.

Attachment 3668677

KC
Hi guys,

My HobbyZone/ParkZone charger is overcharging to at least 4.4V
Luckily I took the battery out before it was damaged.
I opened up the charger and measured resistance on the legs of the pot to compare the values with the picture attached. The readings are:

1854mOhm instead of the 1208mOhm value
141mOhm instead of the 587mOhm value

They don't add up to the same values (1995 versus 1795) and I am not sure what can be said from these values, but I am hoping that with an adjustment of the pot on my charger I can stop it from destroying my batteries.

If anyone can shed any light on this that would be great!

Thanks,
Sandor
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger